Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2020, 09:38 PM   #1
mcozad829
Premium Member

460 Gallon DIY wood/fiberglass/epoxy aquarium design

I am planning on getting back into saltwater after a few years away and have decided to go big. I am a DIY guy and hate paying labor for things that I can do myself. I am completely confident in my abilities to build a strong tank design and have it waterproof for many years to come. That being said I am always looking for flaws in my designs and would love some help. This is my first CAD draft of the structural support for this build which is basically tank and stand. If you don't mind taking a look at it and offering some constructive criticism I would appreciate it. Here is a little info behind the project.

This tank is going along the back wall of my home office, the width of the back wall is 126". The exterior frame of the tank is 125", allowing a small margin of error while I will still be able to achieve a built in look with the proper finishing trim work.

As currently designed the tank will be approximately 460 Gallons with internal dimensions of 116.5L X 25W X 37H. This is going to be a FOWLR show tank. I unfortunately cannot go any wider with dimensions because my home office is used as a second guest room and I have to leave room for other furniture.

Any questions, comments or tips for this process are appreciated.

Also if you use free cad and want the actual .fcstd file to look over just PM me and I would be happy to email it.

Thank You

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank1.jpg (50.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (33.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg side.JPG (34.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg top.jpg (16.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (40.7 KB, 29 views)
Unread 03/04/2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks good! Enjoy your journey.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2020, 11:05 PM   #3
mcozad829
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Looks good! Enjoy your journey.
Thank you, and I think I will! I'm very excited about my fish choices not being super restricted due to tank size or reef compatibility this time around.

Unread 03/05/2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You don't list materials on the drawings.
I hope you are NOT planning on any 4x4 legs.
You can check out Rocket Engineers thread here on building a stand for material needs.

Unread 03/05/2020, 06:20 PM   #5
mcozad829
Premium Member

I apologize for that, I’m still drafting it and will definitely be posting a more complete version once I get further along.

For now though the posts and cross beams are marine treated 4x6 the joists are marine treated 2x4 the top of the stand is 3/4” marine treated plywood, tank is all 2x4 and 3/4 ply, marine treated of course.

Unread 03/05/2020, 06:30 PM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

No worries just a heads up on my part.

Unread 03/08/2020, 08:59 AM   #7
RShort
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
You don't list materials on the drawings.
I hope you are NOT planning on any 4x4 legs.
You can check out Rocket Engineers thread here on building a stand for material needs.
Just for knowledge's sake, what is bad about 4x4 legs?

RShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2020, 02:07 PM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

4 x4 lumber has a tendency to warp pretty significantly.
Rocket Engineer does NOT recommend them @ all.

Unread 03/09/2020, 04:24 PM   #9
mcozad829
Premium Member

Quote:
4 x4 lumber has a tendency to warp pretty significantly.
Rocket Engineer does NOT recommend them @ all.
From what I understand, it has more to do with the quality of the lumber and not so much the dimensions, according to a friend who is a timber buyer for Weyerhaeuser it's just more common to find 4x4's that warp because the dimensions are small enough that mills don't have to be super selective about the tree it comes from so you end up with lower grade lumber out there. But perhaps that's just his opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to use 4x4 legs on a stand for a smaller tank, I would just be sure I wasn't buying them from a hardware store that sells cheap/low grade lumber.

I happen to be lucky when it comes to sourcing lumber, about 5 miles from me is a place that does wood preserving for docks, seawalls, and boat houses. They only deal in premium grade wood and I have yet to have 4x4 from them warp, even outside as a fence post.

Unread 03/09/2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I built a stand for a water barrel with 4 x 4 from a lumber yard & 1 leg warped so ???

Unread 03/09/2020, 04:30 PM   #11
mcozad829
Premium Member

Quote:
I built a stand for a water barrel with 4 x 4 from a lumber yard & 1 leg warped so ???
so ???... you bought bad wood. Every dimension of lumber can warp, higher quality wood is less likely to, regardless of the dimensions (relatively compared to lower grade wood of the same dimensions)

Unread 03/10/2020, 01:27 AM   #12
H2oGarden
Registered Member

I used Rocket Engineers method for building my 225 stand. For a tank that size I would recommend. It is a method of building that uses the strengths of the wood and doesn't put undue stress on the fasteners and also provides a materiel and cut list. I makes for a pretty heavy stand but I swear I could have parked a bus on mine.

H2oGarden is offline   Reply With Quote