Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 06:52 PM   #76
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

The dinoflagellates are back today. I got my water tested with salifert tests.
2 ppm nitrate, which is the first I have seen any
And apparently undetectable phosphate.
This tank's almost / is overstocked and yet no nitrates. I have only been doing maybe 1 gal water changes a week. There's algae but this tank's only 3 months old I guess. Not any worse than other "uglies".

Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 09:07 PM   #77
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Both firefish jumped apparently on separate occasions. Found both of them dead, one dried today. Not sure how they made it through a less than 1/4" crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/03/2017, 08:56 AM   #78
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Dang that sucks.

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 06:07 PM   #79
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Well. Swales basslet turned up mysteriously dead last week. Things seemed okay outside of the dinos.
Got a big nasty taste of Irma which left my tank powerless for almost three days besides a battery operated aerator. Now today the rainford goby doesn't look so hot.
The Randall's goby and shrimp paired up a while back; they moved their "house" during the hurricane but still doing well.
My blue coral banded shrimp is still alive also but very reclusive.
The possum wrasse is still fat and happy; seems impervious to whatever I'm doing wrong.
I did a 4 gal water change, vacuumed the sand and removed a lot of Dino/algae mix. Cut my photoperiod to 3 hrs at a lower intensity and rest actinics only. I also added a bag of chemipure elite and I might do a blackout soon if the Dino's don't let up.
Honestly, I have seen absolutely zero growth in the three frags I purchased months ago and the zoas are stretched out no matter what light intensity I set the light to. My hitchhiker macros bleach and lose mass at higher light levels though.
I know my tank is young but it's trying my patience. Good things come to those who wait? I hope so.

Unread 09/15/2017, 11:32 AM   #80
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

It's alright, my tank has been set up for over a year and I'm just now starting to fill in the tank with coral. Sorry about the swales, good thing do indeed come to those who wait

Unread 10/12/2017, 06:44 PM   #81
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

The rainfords also disappeared the day after I noticing it acting funny. My Randall's goby and shrimp are doing great. Possum wrasse is still fat and happy. Since the rainford's disappearance, the pods have multiplied significantly. I think the Dino's are sort of receding but I'm still getting strings. More green hair algae now though. The macro on the top rock is losing pieces but still has a lot of mass.

I still don't understand why detritus is still settling on my two corals. : /
The zoas are still stretched out. Some people at my LFS suggested my lights are too weak. I have the nano lite up to 60%. I read this should be plenty. If it truly is too weak to grow zoas; I'm not happy with my purchase.

Unread 10/19/2017, 04:15 PM   #82
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Found the rotting molt of a small gorilla crab today. I have never seen the crab itself. : / I might try the bottle trick? No idea what he's been doing in there.

Unread 10/23/2017, 01:13 PM   #83
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

What % is the blue at? Also, you should try moving the coral more towards the middle of the tank where there will be more light

Unread 10/27/2017, 07:25 PM   #84
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
What % is the blue at? Also, you should try moving the coral more towards the middle of the tank where there will be more light

I did move the corals recently and the big rock to the right so it didn't cast a shadow. The blues ramp up to 50%.

I'm trying the glass trick for the crab. I actually saw it today.

Also got a microscope. 100% Dinos and most likely ostreopsis.

Highly unfortunate. I have been using Dino X for a week or so, not much effect. I just got the scope today though.

Unread 10/27/2017, 07:55 PM   #85
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Update: caught my rogue crab with a cube of mysis in a little glass.