Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2012, 10:43 PM   #1
dahenley
Registered Member

Setting up a hatchery

Hello,
i have a pair that lays regularly, and a friend that has multiple pairs. (some lay, and some are just paired)

We are wanting to setup a system to put the clowns together (separate tanks, but common system)

there will be a lot of water volume to help with dilution, skimmer that is over sized.
We will be using filter socks to help cut down on settlement and detritus.

I have a spare UV sitting on the shelf, but it is not currently hooked up.
We were debating on its effectiveness.
I know some people employ Ozone.

What are your preferences?
What other things do you employ in your system?

Thanks!

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 09:03 AM   #2
drew4452862
Registered Member

I am about to begin a breeder setup, similar to the one in joyce's book. Just a 20g, for A ocellaris, with a 40sump. Adding a 100g protein skimmer and some dry rock. A small fuge for pods \ chaeto.

Not sure if I will be worried about disease, O3 or the UV setup, because they will be only 2 and very well fed. Your friend who is breeding may know it already but clownfishes is a good book and not outdated as people say.

Basically the same setups are used in the book as melevs reef and some other things overlap.

btw, the larva usually live outside of the system and the breeders forum is kinda dead

drew4452862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 11:55 AM   #3
dahenley
Registered Member

the system will have 80 gal of breeding pairs, and 60gal of frag tank. plus 300 gal of sump. (this is the first system.)

that was the reason for the extra equipment.

there will be plenty of separate system for the QT. (which will hold any new additions for more then a month in different antibiotics and what not to prevent a accident to the main system)
also, there will be a different system for the grow out and hatching systems. (these will have a 75 gal sump and a 60 cube with misc other items in it.)

i just want to make sure all is ok. (before we get too big haha or before we have a problem)

and i never really run the breeders forum... but i figure there might be some lurkers that might have some info they want to share! (or PM me haha)

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 03:12 PM   #4
scott324
Registered Member

You may want to rethink the frag component of your breeding setup. Often it is hard to maintain water quality when trying to get fish to breed or to fatten them up to produce more viable eggs.

Note that this assumes you will be trying to grow corals that require clean water. Xenia and soft corals may do fine???

Good luck!

If you check out MOFIB you can get a look at others breeding setups which will potentially save you some trial and error.

-Scott

scott324 is offline   Reply With Quote