Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2006, 08:48 PM   #51
jgarrison
Registered Member

If you have a chance go the quebec city aquarium they have a huge cold atlantic tank.

jgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2006, 11:36 AM   #52
gastone
Registered Member

Steve,

what do you use to maintain the required temp?

Garrett.

Current Tank Info: 42Hex, 250W Radium in a lumenarc mini + 2x24W T5 Blue+ and 2x24W T5 actinic connected to a 30 gallon zoanthid tank currently lit by 4x39W T5 (Actinic, blue+, pro color, blue+)
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 09:05 AM   #53
steveweast
Registered Member

just a 1/2 hp Pacific Coast chiller. It runs about 20 minutes....then off for about an hour in summer.

steveweast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 03:45 PM   #54
coldwater reef
Registered Member

I can supply coldwater flora and fauna from the puget sound...contact me if you want stuff.

coldwater reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 07:42 PM   #55
steveweast
Registered Member

Are you Will ? if so, good to see you here. Ryan and I are looking forward to hooking up with you again at Skyline, Burrows, Deception, or Neah....I could use a few more little things.

Unread 10/01/2006, 10:14 PM   #56
coldwater reef
Registered Member

Yeppers Steve I'm Will. I finally got the bugs worked out and my coldwater reef is up and running complete with live rock and 3 warbonnets (nugator) so far. I'll have the boat up and running here this week. Also I have ordered a few items which will make collecting real quick and easy.

Unread 10/02/2006, 08:51 AM   #57
steveweast
Registered Member

Welcome Will....I would like to see your system on my next trip up there....which should be soon. I'm looking to catch a few warbonnets and grunts if I can find them....but, what I really want are more strawberries like the ones I posted on the first page....those came out of Neah Bay. If you see a second source, let me know. Neah will be a PITA in winter.

Unread 10/02/2006, 12:29 PM   #58
coldwater reef
Registered Member

Hey Steve what's PITA mean?
Anyhow, yes come on up. I think DP would have plenty of strawberries. DP is one of those places where I like to dive with a group. Hope to see you up here soon!

Unread 10/02/2006, 09:01 PM   #59
steveweast
Registered Member

PITA = pain in the (rear end).....The last time Jeff and Rob were at DP, there were only small brooding anemones (which kinda look like strawberries)....no true strawberries were seen. I hope that they are there.....but were just missed.

Unread 10/03/2006, 12:36 PM   #60
boomsticks
Registered Member

I think this thread is great! I have had a Temperate/Cold system up for about 5 months now. All started when I saved a "baby" lobster from three seagulls. Now I have a winter flounder, hermit crab (the only one who surrvived the wraith of the rock crab), mummichog or saltwater minnow, and a rather large lobster (He eats alot and has molted once already!) I live in NH by the seacoast so there isn't much choice to take here, no strawberry anems or anything like that, but there still is some neat stuff...gotta be careful with a jerk for a lobster! LOL.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef, 24 cube
boomsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2006, 12:47 PM   #61
coldwater reef
Registered Member

Disaster!

Well folks, I went down to the marina the other night and collected a dozen coon striped shrimp and a couple metridium anemones. Everything made it into the tank just fine and after an hour of observation I went to bed. I woke up at about 3am to a strange noise from the fishroom. SO I go check it out to find a clogged overflow. Half of the shrimp had found their way into the overflow during the night and got stuck. I had to crawl under the stand and disconnect the hose and clear the overflow. The shrimp in and of themselves were not the problem however. A medium sized snail plus the shrimp is what did the job. Needless to say I was a little irritated! Anyhow, everything is back in order, I'm working on some way to make the system fail safe. For the moment however, no more large shrimp!
Today I'm planning a shore dive in the burroughs channel along the north shore wall, I'm after a grunt sculpin or two, plus whatever else catches my attention down there. Maybe a small octopus would be cool. I'll report on that afterwards....

Unread 10/12/2006, 01:39 PM   #62
acroboy
Registered Member

To me there is nothing more interesting than keeping native marine aquaria no matter where one lives. Catching and keeping has so much more to it than going to a shop and just pointing to livestock. I think most people don't keep temperate aquariums because of the cost of chilling the water. Though the cooler water fish are so interesting and unusual.

acroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2006, 01:46 PM   #63
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally posted by acroboy
To me there is nothing more interesting than keeping native marine aquaria no matter where one lives.
I wonder what I can catch here in the Sonoran Desert? Maybe some fossils? LOL. Great thread, someday I will set up a cold water system.

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2006, 01:52 PM   #64
acroboy
Registered Member

theres always the rivers

Unread 10/12/2006, 03:03 PM   #65
coldwater reef
Registered Member

The Puget Sound has some really interesting life in it, there is more biodiversity here than anywhere else so I've heard. The fish aren't as colorful as the tropicals, but make up for it with their unusual appearances and habits. The inverts, such as anemones etc., I would put up against all the tropical reef animals! Another plus point is that I get to combine scuba diving with aquaria, the two things really go together. Trying to get out for a dive today.
People always seem to balk at the cost of a chiller, however all in all, a chiller is less expensive than is a lighting system for a tropical reef tank. I got a few deals and made some of my own stuff, but all in all I've set up a 100 gallon coldwater system for less than $1,000 total. I've got much more than that in my tropical setup. Another thing is stocking the tank, free for me, if you don't count the cost of my dive gear for coldwater diving. Anyhow, once you have the gear, going for a dive costs less than 5 bucks, and in one dive I can collect lots and lots of things. It's like going to the fish store and getting all you want for free...

Unread 10/12/2006, 05:03 PM   #66
acroboy
Registered Member

I know exactly how you feel. We do get Caribbean tropicals from the Gulf Stream as well as temperate species as well. Now with the addition of lionfish it like a free for all. But the personality of the temperate fish is unrivaled. Seahorses for those of us who have had the experience and time to care for them were like going out and picking weeds. They were everywhere. There is so much more to fish keeping then color.

Unread 10/12/2006, 06:52 PM   #67
steveweast
Registered Member

Good Luck Will. I'd like to get up there with you and catch a few more grunts for my system in the near future. I also heard from Jeff that there are baby king crabs this time of year....you know, the box looking crabs that are related to king crabs. The babies are the size of a quarter and bright red. I'm trying to get to Seiku maybe next week sometime.

Unread 10/12/2006, 08:46 PM   #68
coldwater reef
Registered Member

Thanks Steve...I just wrote up a collection report for the coldwaterfish group. For everyone else, well I didn't get any grunt sculpins but the cnidaria were good. Yes I know about the puget sound king crab, lopholithodes mandtii I believe it's called. I have found them before. They aren't too common, I'd feel really lucky to get one. I know where I can find the larger ones but we want the juveniles. Anyhow let me know when ya'll want to come up so I can have the skiff ready...

Unread 10/12/2006, 10:39 PM   #69
skylsdale
Reefer

Hey Steve, what nudibranchs are you managing to keep successfully? I've researched a few, but all the ones available in the Sound seemed to have some pretty specific diets, and I was worried wouldn't be able to be sustained all that well in a captive system.

skylsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2006, 09:46 AM   #70
steveweast
Registered Member

I've only tried two. I generally avoid nudibranchs as I do in my warm water reef. The first one I tried was a yellow nudibranch (archidoris odhneri) that I see mostly on kelp plants. Well, they did not fare too well since a few of my starfish thought they were candy. The second nudibranch that I tried was dirona albolineata. It's a beautiful nudibranch that has been doing ok for about six months now. I'm sure it's probably feeding off of the bryozoans in the tank. I've read that they also feed off of small snails....which I have many of. Here he is :

Unread 10/13/2006, 11:06 AM   #71
skylsdale
Reefer

Thanks for the info. If you happen to find and try some Hermissenda crassicornis, I'd be interested to hear if your starfish leave them alone (I think fish tend to stay away from them).

skylsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2006, 03:27 PM   #72
ReefRascals
Registered Member

Tagging. Great dialog guys!

ReefRascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2006, 03:32 PM   #73
steveweast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skylsdale
Thanks for the info. If you happen to find and try some Hermissenda crassicornis, I'd be interested to hear if your starfish leave them alone (I think fish tend to stay away from them).

I wouldn't mind trying a Hermissenda crassicornis .....there is no better looking nudi out there. They are out there though....I just haven't come across one yet. Hey Will, where are they most likely found ?

Unread 10/13/2006, 03:58 PM   #74
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!

That nudibranch is awesome! I better unsubsribe this thread before I spend half of my medical loans on a cold water system!

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2006, 08:23 PM   #75
Dale Carlisle
Registered Member

Tagging along fellas

I'm just putting the final touches on my fishroom in the garage. I plan to set up a tidal zone tank. I am currently weaving my way through the Fed./Prov. bureaucracy re collecting livestock
Ordinarily I'd just do my thing but a lot of others want to know what the rules are as well so.. I'm the guinea pig.
I see that you guys are running chillers with the intention of maintaining constant coldwater temps. What are your thoughts on an ambient temp tank (My garage runs from lows 40's in winter to mid 60's in summer). I've researched the annual surface temps off our coast and they closely match those #'s. (Keep in mind that I plan a tidal zone tank). I'm planning a fairly large set up and I think running ambient temps will reduce humidity concerns plus reduce my energy input.
I'll try to edit in some links I've found on the subject.

Species list

Lighthouse temps

Dale Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote