Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Acrylic reef tanks?

I have the opportunity to get a used acrylic tank. I've only had glass in the past. What are our opinions on glass vs Acrylic for a reef tank?

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 09:24 AM   #2
top shelf
Registered Member

I've only ever owned glass myself. Acrylic tanks are stronger but cost more to buy. They are also lighter then a comparable sized glass tank. They scratch much easier than glass but the scratches can be removed much easier from acrylic than glass. They are clearer than regular glass but you can also get starphire and while not as clear as acrylic it's a huge improvement over regular and doesnt scratch as easily.

It just comes down to your personal preference and what you expect from a tank. Im personally not opposed to acrylic but I do love my starphire tank.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Thanks for the reply. The main issue I see is trying to remove coralline from the tank without scratching it. maybe I'll just stick with glass and buck up and order new From SCA.

Unread 10/16/2018, 11:43 AM   #4
smatter
Registered Member

Plastic scrapers take care of coralline no problem. If you clean the tank regularly with Magic Eraser the blade rarely needs to be deployed. Acrylic doesn't lose heat as fast as glass. Projectiles in the room are less of a threat.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 04:00 PM   #5
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
Thanks for the reply. The main issue I see is trying to remove coralline from the tank without scratching it. maybe I'll just stick with glass and buck up and order new From SCA.
Smatter does add some more good points that I missed, from what I've heard the trick is to not let it get hold on the panels. Sometimes easier said then done. Just more to add to the decision making lol

As for sca I love my tank, been set up just over a year and haven't had an issue yet. I highly recommend getting a solid stand and sealing the hinges though. I have the composite board one and while I haven't had any issues I think I'd sleep better at night knowing it was solid. The hinges have rusted pretty good though.

Unread 10/16/2018, 09:11 PM   #6
sfdan
Registered Member

I don't think cleaning an acrylic tank is as time consuming or daunting as people make it. I use the regular cleaning pads from mighty magnets for standard cleanings and the "dozer" pads once a month for coralline algae. The coralline algae comes off quite easily, and I can get my whole (very large) tank good as new in ~5 minutes. Sure I've accumulated a few scratches here and there but my plan is to sand the inside of the pane (also using the mighty magnet) if the scratches ever start to really bother me. Maybe in a year or two. And if I did happen to get a scratch right in a key viewing idea I'd probably sand it out right away, but that hasn't happened yet.

Of course size matters in this whole debate. I've got a very large tank, 350 gallons, and at a size like this I think acrylic's advantages are really valuable. Sure it scratches more easily, but it is significantly lighter, stronger and more impact resistant. All very relevant since I live in an earthquake zone and a catastrophic failure for this size tank would honestly be dangerous. Oh, and acrylic is super easy to drill if you want to make any changes to it.

On the other hand, I've got a plenty of smaller tanks around and they are all glass. To me it depends on the size, the cost, and the quality of what you are getting.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 05:03 AM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
Smatter does add some more good points that I missed, from what I've heard the trick is to not let it get hold on the panels. Sometimes easier said then done. Just more to add to the decision making lol

As for sca I love my tank, been set up just over a year and haven't had an issue yet. I highly recommend getting a solid stand and sealing the hinges though. I have the composite board one and while I haven't had any issues I think I'd sleep better at night knowing it was solid. The hinges have rusted pretty good though.

+1

My SCA is just about 2 years old and I opted for the MDF stand. While I have no complaints about the tank, the stand is still in good shape, just a bit of swelling at the edge where some water has spilled out of the sump. The hinges I have replaced due to rusting in a couple months.

I would also sleep a bit better if it were solid wood.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 06:36 AM   #8
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
+1

My SCA is just about 2 years old and I opted for the MDF stand. While I have no complaints about the tank, the stand is still in good shape, just a bit of swelling at the edge where some water has spilled out of the sump. The hinges I have replaced due to rusting in a couple months.

Not to hijack this thread but can I ask where you got your hinges? Did you get them direct from SCA or is it something I can get from the local big box hardware store? I haven't looked into either yet but would really like to replace them and take proper precautions this time around to prevent rusting.

Unread 10/17/2018, 08:57 AM   #9
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
+1

Not to freak you out, but my son had a tank stand in my basement made of MDF, and the tank failed. The only thing we could find, is one of the legs had swelled. The fracture originated from that corner.

Unread 10/17/2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Cliving1
Registered Member

Stupid question, isnt mdf stronger than normal wood?

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 10:37 AM   #11
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Not when is has soaked up water like a sponge. Starts to delaminate and then no structural strength,

Unread 10/17/2018, 11:01 AM   #12
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
Not to hijack this thread but can I ask where you got your hinges? Did you get them direct from SCA or is it something I can get from the local big box hardware store? I haven't looked into either yet but would really like to replace them and take proper precautions this time around to prevent rusting.
you can get the hinge from ebay or amazon.
search for full overlay kitchen cabinet hinge. make sure the hinge in the listing picture looks the same as the hinge on your cabinet.

I bought them a while back from ebay for like $7 for 2 pairs (4 hinges), replaced it when I was trying to refurbish the used 45g SCA tank stand, but figured to just build a new one from plywood. The water damage was too much.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 04:01 PM   #13
sfdan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Stupid question, isnt mdf stronger than normal wood?
From a woodworking perspective, MDF is weaker than both solid wood and plywood in all applications, and significantly weaker compared to each of their various strengths (solid wood in vertical compression, plywood for lateral support). And when MDF gets wet, forgot about it. Solid wood and (properly graded) plywood are fine getting wet as long as you let them dry out.

The benefits of MDF are the price, and the fact you get a smooth consistent surface that is easy to paint. It is certainly strong enough to be used as a stand, but it will have a lifespan. Eventually the finish will break down, water will get in and the MDF's strength will go away.

If you take a stand made out of solid wood with plywood bracing, or even just properly made out of plywood, it will basically last forever unless you are actively trying to destroy it.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 04:19 PM   #14
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
you can get the hinge from ebay or amazon.
search for full overlay kitchen cabinet hinge. make sure the hinge in the listing picture looks the same as the hinge on your cabinet.

I bought them a while back from ebay for like $7 for 2 pairs (4 hinges), replaced it when I was trying to refurbish the used 45g SCA tank stand, but figured to just build a new one from plywood. The water damage was too much.
Awesome, thank you! I'll give Amazon a look.