Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Jason31
Registered Member

Green Star Polyp Aquascaping idea/feedback wanted - Tree Design

(Previously posted in Reef Discussion but this area seemed more appropriate)
So i'm trying to figure out how to design the top level of my aquascape and want feedback to see if this is a good idea or not. The picture on the left should be my current tank design. The one on the right is a photoshopped version of what i want to do to the top level using Green Star Polyps and a Octospawn/frogspawn branching coral to create a grass like area w/ a tree popping out.

i've read a lot that GSPs can be very invasive and the only way to control their growth is putting them on an isolated rock on the sand and trimming it back when they get beyond the rock. That doesn't seem feasible in what i'm doing here so i'm wondering if its really a big issue.

otherwise the other option i guess is to make a GSP tree instead of a octospawn tree and maybe zoas all over the bottom instead??

Let me know what you guys think about this or if you have other ideas on what to do with this top level. Thanks!!

also don't mind the anemone in the top right corner. He's in time out for moving around all over the place and causing havoc. going to relocate him to another tank.

Please give me honest criticism or comments. Want to know if this is a good idea, bad idea or if there are better ideas out there. thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (66.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 93 views)
Jason31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 04:18 AM   #2
mighties_keeper
Registered Member

That looks like an awesome idea. I currently growing my gsp all over a skull. There is ways to trim gsp from choking out other corals.

Current Tank Info: 30 Gallon X-Tall
mighties_keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 04:39 AM   #3
WLachnit
Registered Member

I like the idea as well. I have a softie tank that I'd like to introduce GSP. In the past, I had GSP in my mixed reef and it never seemed to be a problem. Not sure if it had to do with nutrients. Anyway, you could probably squirt kalk around the base of the frogspawn to keep the GSP in check.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Jason31
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. What ways are you referring to? Also regarding kalk is that just like epoxy or something? I'll look it up. Thanks guys.

Unread 03/08/2017, 02:10 PM   #5
WLachnit
Registered Member

Kalk is saturated CaOH, aka pickling lime. You use it to make kalkwasser or limewater.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 01:20 PM   #6
Jason31
Registered Member

Updates and pictures of the progress for this thread can now be found here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2627533