Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2018, 02:44 PM   #1
DougSupreme
Registered Member

225G Plywood Build thread

So, I've had a 75G tank now for about 7 years. Prior to that I had a 45G pentagon corner tank which was a downgrade from my Perfecto 120 when we moved to the new house.

I've always wanted something bigger/better, but money and motivation was always a deterrent.

After some research, I decided I was going to build a 150G tank: 48"x36"x21". In order to get the go ahead to do this, I was told I needed to build cabinets next to it to increase the storage space in our kitchen. Later, she decided she didn't like the placement of the tank and decided I was going to place the new tank in the family room.

Since I had a new location, and I had to buy full sheets of plywood anyway, the size changed a bit. Now the tank was going to be 48"x40.5"x26". This allowed me to use the full width of the birch plywood I was using, without wasting too much. The tank ended up being 40.5" wide because I planned on a 6" coast to coast external overflow.

I've been accumulating pictures for the past month (not going as fast as I'd like), and I will add them to this thread in subsequent posts.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 02:51 PM   #2
DougSupreme
Registered Member

So, after the tank dimensions were finalized, it was time to start building.

This is the raw box that I built. 3/4" birch plywood. The area to the back of the tank is the cost to coast overflow. I am planning on a Bean Animal overflow system.

Originally, I planned on the sump being located directly beneath the tank in the stand. I have since gotten the go ahead to build a small closet/ fish room in the garage to house the sump and assorted hardware.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unread 06/17/2018, 02:59 PM   #3
DougSupreme
Registered Member

The tank is going to be placed in a corner so my plywood stands will have doors on one corner only. A couch and end table will sit to the left of the stand and the TV stand will be to the right. Both the tank and stand will have maple "face frames" top give it a finished look. Tank and stand were glued and screwed and a piece of 1/2" plywood was screwed to the bottom of the stand. The junction will be caulked and there entire inside of the stand will be painted with a high quality exterior paint to help resist any moisture that may end up there. I'm also placing a leak detector under the stand. I truly hope the $10 is wasted, but hopefully, it will give me some advance warning in the event of a leak.

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:03 PM   #4
DougSupreme
Registered Member

This is the tank prior to the viewing panes being cut out. The frames are dimensional maple held together with a kreg jig and screws and then glued and screwed to the plywood box from the inside. Three stand will have the frames installed later.

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:06 PM   #5
DougSupreme
Registered Member

The tank is being worked on in my shed as the garage is full in preparation for a garage sale. I sealed the inside of the tank with pond shield prior to cutting the viewing panes out. I used an oscillating tool to cut the plywood. Looking back, I probably could have found a quicker and easier way, but it is what is it.

It's starting to take shape...

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:19 PM   #6
DougSupreme
Registered Member

At this point, I'll give a few details on the equipment for the tank.

I'm planning on a 100G Rubbermaid trough as a sump in the garage/fish room. The return pump is a Jebao 12000 providing 3100gph (before head loss). I have a Euro Reef skimmer that I am currently using for the 75G that will be used for the new tank until I determine that it isn't large enough (probably very soon). Flow in the tank will be provide by a Waveline 12000 and an Oceans Motion on a Closed Loop. The pump intakes will be two 1.5" bulkheads/strainers on the back wall and there will be returns in the two bottom front corners as well as one in the back right corner and another under the rockwork. At some point, I will utilize Random Flow Generators on some/all of the outlets including the sump returns. The CL pump will be located on a shelf under the stand so I don't need to bring too many pipes thru the wall.

I have 4 of the LED black boxes to provide light for the tank. They will likely be shifted front, right to help illuminate the visible portion of the tank. I'm not in the mood to light up behind the rockwork if it's not necessary.

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:25 PM   #7
DougSupreme
Registered Member

There will be no unfinished wood in the tank/ stand. If it's not epoxied, it will be stained. If it's not stained, it will be painted. Gotta pick the hottest day of the year so far to paint the stand and the hidden exterior sides of the tank...smh.

Installed the glass panes. I was able to pick up a 90G tank for free. I ripped it apart with the intention of using the the glass as the viewing panes. Unfortunately, I was unable to remove the existing scratches, so I was forced to purchase new 3/8" glass. This is a picture of the glass installed and the hidden sides painted.

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:36 PM   #8
DougSupreme
Registered Member

In order to speed up the aquascaping process, I laid out the dimensions of the tank on some rosin paper. I was able to purchase over 100lbs of pukani dry rock from a reefer liquidating his stuff. I set it up in the family room and had my two kids, my wife, and myself quickly and the rocks within the confines of the "tank".

I think, were going with the largest rock formation. There's still some time to alter the design, but I think it gives a good view from both sides while simultaneously using enough rock and enough open space to make the tank attractive. Feel free to critique any/ all of the scapes. (Keep in mind, one was done by an 11 year old, lol)

And this is where we stand on the progress to this point....

My goal is to install the bulkheads and then test the tank for leaks prior to bringing it into the house. When the garage sale is finished, I can get to work on building the fish room and everything should start to come together....

Unread 06/23/2018, 11:48 AM   #9
DougSupreme
Registered Member

So, I was attempting to leak test this week and I found a leak (the exact reason I was leak testing)

For some reason, where the overflow wall and the bottom met, it didn't get sealed. Part of that is due to the fact that I decided the fiberglass reinforcement of the joint was unnecessary. Obviously, I was wrong. I have since rectified the situation and I hope to start leak testing Monday.

Unread 06/25/2018, 11:07 AM   #10
speakeraddict
Premium Member

Following....

Good work so far!

Current Tank Info: 15 gallon custom shallow cube
speakeraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 08:45 AM   #11
speakeraddict
Premium Member

Updates?

Unread 06/28/2018, 08:49 AM   #12
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Sealing some leaks. Then testing again

Unread 06/30/2018, 07:33 PM   #13
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Currently holding water (minus a small leak in the threads of the closed loop)

Probably keep it like this thru the 4th, then transport it into its final resting place.

As it sits, it's at least an inch out of level. The garage has a decent pitch to it....

I'll stain it in the house while the rock is cycling.

Unread 07/01/2018, 10:30 PM   #14
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Did you level it? Before you filled it? Hopefully or else it may tweak itself and cause more leaks/failure.

Unread 07/02/2018, 06:15 AM   #15
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Did you level it? Before you filled it? Hopefully or else it may tweak itself and cause more leaks/failure.
No. It's badly out of level. I'll be draining it tomorrow.

Unread 07/02/2018, 07:10 AM   #16
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Yikes!

Unread 07/02/2018, 08:24 AM   #17
speakeraddict
Premium Member

Cool! Definitely level it even for testing.

Cant wait to see this thing progress!

Unread 07/12/2018, 10:35 AM   #18
speakeraddict
Premium Member

Updates?

Unread 07/16/2018, 07:33 AM   #19
DougSupreme
Registered Member

tank is currently cycling. I'm hoping to have it ready to move the contents of the old tank to the new tank before the weekend

Unread 07/16/2018, 08:38 AM   #20
rvareef
In Memoriam

what is your total cost so far?

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 08:51 AM   #21
DougSupreme
Registered Member

I'm trying not to keep track. LOL I would guess somewhere around $1300 including pumps, salt, dry rock, etc.

Unread 07/16/2018, 10:38 AM   #22
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Still just wet. Cycling is the worst part. I have taken some rock from the current tank and placed it in the new tank to help speed up the cycle. I'm a little over a week in and I have nitrites at a low level. My ammonia is only about 1 PPM. I could probably speed up the process if I fed the tank a bit more

Unread 07/19/2018, 06:39 AM   #23
speakeraddict
Premium Member

Good deal!

Glad to see it holding water!

Unread 07/21/2018, 02:55 PM   #24
Ramracer32
Registered Member

awesome looks great! If you want to speed up the cycle significantly look into BIO-Spira. I was about 3 weeks into my cycle and had no signs of it ending anytime soon. I added a bottle of spira and in only 3 days everything was reading zero even after dosing ammonia daily. pretty amazing stuff.

Ramracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 07:58 AM   #25
speakeraddict
Premium Member

updates?