Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2017, 05:55 PM   #1
g8rorchid
Registered Member

Question about watanabei angel

I just purchased a female watanabei angel from Diver's Den. I am aware that they QT and medicate these fish. My question is this, since she will have gone through this process, should I add her to the DT to swim freely, put her in an acclimation box, or QT? I don't know if this fish is easily stressed out and if she would benefit from going into the DT right away or if she should be QT'd and for how long? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

g8rorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 05:58 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

Diver's Den does not mean they quarantine. I would suggest a proper quarantine.

Do a proper quarantine. At least ttm and then prazi pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 06:12 PM   #3
jinbing0905
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Diver's Den does not mean they quarantine. I would suggest a proper quarantine.

Do a proper quarantine. At least ttm and then prazi pro.

What is proper quarantine? Ttm?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jinbing0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 06:14 PM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

No right answer. My process may differ from others

Quarantine everything wet. For fish I do formalin bath 45min, then straight to TTM during ttm I dose prazi pro. Also during ttm I put nitrofuracin green in to help with bacteria infections. After ttm it goes in my cycle quarantine tank for 2 weeks observation. Then into my display. Since doing this I haven't lost any fish to diseases.

For corals and inverts it goes in my cycle tank for 2 months.

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:26 PM   #5
jinbing0905
Registered Member

Quote:
No right answer. My process may differ from others

Quarantine everything wet. For fish I do formalin bath 45min, then straight to TTM during ttm I dose prazi pro. Also during ttm I put nitrofuracin green in to help with bacteria infections. After ttm it goes in my cycle quarantine tank for 2 weeks observation. Then into my display. Since doing this I haven't lost any fish to diseases.

For corals and inverts it goes in my cycle tank for 2 months.

Ttm? What is that Mean

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:27 PM   #6
scuzy
Registered Member

Tank transfer method

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:27 PM   #7
jinbing0905
Registered Member

Also what is the ratio for formalin bath? I am scared to use formalin?

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:29 PM   #8
jinbing0905
Registered Member

Quote:
Tank transfer method

When you received the fish first you do the formalin bath with the existing water? Than you drip and transfer to the QT

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:32 PM   #9
scuzy
Registered Member

No I float the bag for 15 minutes. Then take fish out into new water formalin bath. Caused the water in the bag can get very toxic after hours during transport.

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:57 PM   #10
jinbing0905
Registered Member

What is the ratio to the formalin bath ? Can you tell me

Unread 05/30/2017, 07:00 PM   #11
scuzy
Registered Member

The instructions on the bottle formalin ms is 1ml per gallon

Unread 05/31/2017, 04:00 PM   #12
g8rorchid
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply, but how can you say that DD doesn't QT their fish? Per the website, it says, in part, that:

"LiveAquaria.com's Diver's Den® Quarantine Procedure

Under our strict supervision and extensive quarantine procedures, we offer you quality aquatic life that is second to none.

All fish are quarantined and acclimated to captive conditions under strict protocols regardless of species."
Kevin Kohen - Director of Live Aquaria®

Proper Acclimation
Water is dripped over the fish for an extended period to slowly adjust them to the water chemistry of our fish quarantine system.

State-of-the-art Quarantine System
Once properly acclimated, new fish are then housed and maintained in our special quarantine system. To provide superior filtration and water quality, our quarantine system employs an independent filtration system with biological filtration, UV sterilization, ozone, and a large foam fractionator (protein skimmer).

Disease Prevention
Fish, such as clownfish, prone to common parasitic ailments like Brooklynella hostilis, are given repeated freshwater baths that contain anti-parasite medication. Other fish such as Angelfish, tangs, certain genus of wrasse, and several other specific species are given therapeutic saltwater baths. These baths contain praziquantel or other medications that eliminate flukes, protozoan, and parasites commonly found on wild fish.

To combat common bacterial infections such as Vibrio, therapeutic baths containing antibiotics such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Neomycin and other commercial antibiotics are given. Open wounds on fish are treated and healed with a special topical treatment. In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

Quarantine and Observation Period
The quarantine period for each fish ranges from a minimum of two weeks to several months for more delicate species."

There is more information there, but I just copied/pasted what I thought was relevant. Any other thoughts?

g8rorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 04:17 PM   #13
scuzy
Registered Member

Do a search on here and you can see many still get diseases from ordering through divers den. They also states that you should quarantine all your fish even if it came from divers den. If you did any quarantine on it it's not thorough.

I can say you might get better condition fishes than from live aquaria but to say they did any extensive treatment is very implausible as they just move to many fishes through their facility.

Unread 06/01/2017, 04:12 AM   #14
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rorchid View Post
Thank you for the reply, but how can you say that DD doesn't QT their fish? Per the website, it says, in part, that:

"LiveAquaria.com's Diver's Den® Quarantine Procedure

Under our strict supervision and extensive quarantine procedures, we offer you quality aquatic life that is second to none.

All fish are quarantined and acclimated to captive conditions under strict protocols regardless of species."
Kevin Kohen - Director of Live Aquaria®

Proper Acclimation
Water is dripped over the fish for an extended period to slowly adjust them to the water chemistry of our fish quarantine system.

State-of-the-art Quarantine System
Once properly acclimated, new fish are then housed and maintained in our special quarantine system. To provide superior filtration and water quality, our quarantine system employs an independent filtration system with biological filtration, UV sterilization, ozone, and a large foam fractionator (protein skimmer).

Disease Prevention
Fish, such as clownfish, prone to common parasitic ailments like Brooklynella hostilis, are given repeated freshwater baths that contain anti-parasite medication. Other fish such as Angelfish, tangs, certain genus of wrasse, and several other specific species are given therapeutic saltwater baths. These baths contain praziquantel or other medications that eliminate flukes, protozoan, and parasites commonly found on wild fish.

To combat common bacterial infections such as Vibrio, therapeutic baths containing antibiotics such as kanamycin, nitrofurazone, Neomycin and other commercial antibiotics are given. Open wounds on fish are treated and healed with a special topical treatment. In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

Quarantine and Observation Period
The quarantine period for each fish ranges from a minimum of two weeks to several months for more delicate species."

There is more information there, but I just copied/pasted what I thought was relevant. Any other thoughts?
Kevin would be the first person to say you should qt everything you buy from us or anybody else. QT, QT, QT- 8-10 weeks min.

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 11:07 AM   #15
jar41
Registered Member

where and which formalin you guys buy? you

jar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 09:30 AM   #16
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar41 View Post
Did you find?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Unread 06/21/2018, 08:45 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

Watanabei are not delicate angel. They are easy to get to eat and not picky. They will do fine. I QT my fish in a 40 gal full reef, never QT any of my fish in bare sterile tank. I often have dither fish in there to induce the new fish to eat. I often use my clowns for this duty. This really help with shy fish. See other fish rush to eat will induce most fish to take a bite also.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 09:42 AM   #18
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar41 View Post
http://www.fishvet.com/Formalin-MS.htm