Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2018, 01:13 PM   #1
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Dog Crate / Tank Stand??

Has Anyone ever done something like this as a tank stand?

Little back story - I was in the process of setting up a sumpless / AIO type 40 breeder in my office - the stand was going to be an old dresser. Drawers are going to be used for work stuff, papers, pens, whatever. The tank fit perfectly on top of this dresser and I was moving ahead.

Well - back in March we decided to get a puppy (Boxer / Lab mix) and now, her cage / crate is in the spot where i was going to set up the tank. My wife wants me to finish off the cage similar to the attached and I was wondering if I could use that as the tank stand?? It's only a 40 breeder and I think it wold work, just thought i would throw this out there and see what you all think.

I bet I can sell this idea to my wife and be able to get back in the hobby finally

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 05:24 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes if properly constructed to ensure proper strength you can most certainly do a stand like that..
"racking" is the biggest issue with something like that where it just folds should someone bump/push it sideways so just make sure the legs are securely attached to the upper part and it wouldn't hurt to do some angled "gussets" to give it even more strength against racking/folding..

Unread 06/23/2018, 06:11 AM   #3
BigDave
Registered Member

I'd make sure the crate isn't connected to the stand. I could see the dog scratching and it's paw thumping the ground as being similar to someone tapping the glass on the tank.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 07:58 AM   #4
sde1500
Registered Member

I don’t worry about my big dog bumping my tank around because she’s rather gentle. But when she moves around in her crate she makes a big racket and shakes the whole thing. Definitely wouldn’t want my fish tank on top of it. If I had to I’d have the whole wood trim floating a good couple inches from the actual crate to try and prevent that. I’d rather find a different spot for the crate or tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 10:19 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
I don’t worry about my big dog bumping my tank around because she’s rather gentle. But when she moves around in her crate she makes a big racket and shakes the whole thing. Definitely wouldn’t want my fish tank on top of it. If I had to I’d have the whole wood trim floating a good couple inches from the actual crate to try and prevent that. I’d rather find a different spot for the crate or tank.
+1. We have Great Danes and our youngest is still crated at night or when we aren’t home. When he moves, the crates shakes and that would be stressful on fish not to mention the stand. If the crate is built properly with 2x4 framing as well as a good plywood top, structurely speaking it should be safe but I’d more more concerned about the movement and vibrations/shaking caused by the dog. When the dog goes to scratch itself, all that movement will translate into vibrations or shaking in the tank. It just doesn’t seem like a combination that would be conducive to a stress free environment for the tanks inhabitants.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 05:44 AM   #6
sneeyatch
Registered Member

gotcha - thanks for the input guys, i didn't really think about her scratching and shaking the cage around, but i agree - i'm not too sure this is going to work out properly.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Lsufan
Registered Member

U can do somthing similar & not attach it to the crate. I think I would want to build it big enough to be able to slide the crate out anyway. So the stand would be a couple inches bigger then the crate & not actually be touching it. Then the only vibration would be transferred through the floor & placing a Matt under the crate should help with that.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 09:15 PM   #8
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufan View Post
u can do somthing similar & not attach it to the crate. I think i would want to build it big enough to be able to slide the crate out anyway. So the stand would be a couple inches bigger then the crate & not actually be touching it. Then the only vibration would be transferred through the floor & placing a matt under the crate should help with that.
+1

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote