Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2008, 05:59 PM   #251
acrodave
REEF NERD

Ok this thread is killing me...hobogato.your tank is nuts..You about have me cutting a hole in my in my apt. I live on the top floor maybe they wont know..lol

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said

Less technology more biology

Tattoos are the only art you can take to the grave

Current Tank Info: 26gal bow,20gal mantis tank/fuge150wHQI,20k AB Seio 620 maxijet1200x's 2 on a wave maker. all sps
acrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 05:45 AM   #252
hobogato
Registered Member

thanks, its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission - besides, you are improving the condition of the apartment by bringing in natural sunlight!

Quote:
Originally posted by acrodave
Ok this thread is killing me...hobogato.your tank is nuts..You about have me cutting a hole in my in my apt. I live on the top floor maybe they wont know..lol

hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 08:29 AM   #253
Reefski's
Registered Member

bad advise. that is great if it's your spouse and that new coral you just bought without discussing it.

as much as it is an improvement it is still not your building and some owners are weird.

i would clear it with the owner first. if i was the owner and you were to pay for it i would say "go for it". but then some of you have seen what i did.

probably grounds for eviction.

Carl

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 09:03 AM   #254
hobogato
Registered Member

forgot that it is hard to tell when someone is joking on the internet

thought the laughing face was enough, but just to clarify....

i was joking.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefski's
bad advise. that is great if it's your spouse and that new coral you just bought without discussing it.

as much as it is an improvement it is still not your building and some owners are weird.

i would clear it with the owner first. if i was the owner and you were to pay for it i would say "go for it". but then some of you have seen what i did.

probably grounds for eviction.

Carl

Unread 09/09/2008, 09:59 AM   #255
Lowredranger
Registered Member

Wow that is awesome I think that is the best way anyone could light a tank. I have been sitting hear thinking how would i could do this at my house and at the moment unless i have the tubes running up the side of my house i unfortunately do not think it is possible.

I have great sun down in Orlando FL but i live in a tri level house so my current small tank is on the small ground floor and our bedroom is above it and the wife probably wouldn't agree to tubes running up the middle of the bedroom. I do not think the raised floors will support the tank without sufficient support at least when I upgrade tanks.

Has anyone considered going up an outside wall?

Another question would be I see in all the pics the dome sits right on top of the roof, could you extend the tube further past the roof line to be even with the peak of your house so that you get more sun?

Jason

Current Tank Info: 280g peninsular bar, 4 vortechs, 10x80w ATI Powermodule, Orca 250 Pro, Dart Return, geo 618 calcium reactor, Apex controller
Lowredranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 10:17 AM   #256
acrodave
REEF NERD

I know it was all a joke..my post was a joke .other than he has a sweet tank

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said

Less technology more biology

Tattoos are the only art you can take to the grave

Current Tank Info: 26gal bow,20gal mantis tank/fuge150wHQI,20k AB Seio 620 maxijet1200x's 2 on a wave maker. all sps
acrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 10:39 AM   #257
Reefski's
Registered Member

ok, sorry.

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 10:41 AM   #258
Cheekymonkey
Premium Member

I'm with Lowed on there... Up the outside possible?

What is the max distance that this stays reasonably useful.

Click my red house and help me with my 300G build.

Current Tank Info: 300G in progress, 120G SPS/LPS Reef, 40G Mushroom/Zoa, 50G Zeroedge Clam/Gorgonian Tank
Cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 11:54 AM   #259
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I'm sure you can do up and outside, however considering each riser costs on the order of 50' it'd get expensive, not to mention the longer it travels the less light you'll get. If you're losing 1% reflectivity "per bounce" (just guessing at 99% efficient at reflecting) then it'll add up.

However if your tank is on the south part of the house you can simply poke through the wall, and make a faux mini- roof to have the proper pitch.

Unread 09/09/2008, 12:35 PM   #260
hatfielj
Registered Member

This is just plain awesome! My wife and I own a condo unit downtown now so we can't do this on my current tank. However, in the future (probably 5-6 yrs) when we move and buy a building of our own, this will definitely be on the agenda! The best thing about it is that you are doing something good for the environment, saving yourself money, and giving the corals the most natural set up possible. Its a winning solution.
Great work!

hatfielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 09:24 AM   #261
g8gxp
Registered Member

Any thoughts as to why the shimmering effect has been lost?!? Typically MH replicate the shimmering effect of natural light, so I am wondering why it has now been lost?

Is it because the sunlight is going thgrough glass/plastic lens? Any thoughts as to how to recover the effect?

Thanks

Unread 09/10/2008, 09:25 AM   #262
Runner
Registered Member

It is because the light is no longer a point-source, but rather more diffused over the entire tube opening.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Current Tank Info: 24G Reef cube with Cree LED DIY Retrofit
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 09:41 AM   #263
hobogato
Registered Member

it hasnt. it is actually much more apparent during the brightest part of the day. it is so bright on the white sand that it hurts my eyes if i look at it too long

Quote:
Originally posted by g8gxp
Any thoughts as to why the shimmering effect has been lost?!?

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:01 AM   #264
g8gxp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
It is because the light is no longer a point-source, but rather more diffused over the entire tube opening.
????

The sunlight is being focused through lens now, how is it more diffused? It's like a magnifying glass.

g8gxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 11:05 AM   #265
g8gxp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobogato

the shimmer effect is diminished to non existent, but quite a bit of light still gets to the tank.
sorry, I'm a little confused now, so the shimmer effect is greater now than it was before, is that correct?

g8gxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 11:19 AM   #266
hobogato
Registered Member

yes, the shimmer effect is in the tank from about 10am to 6pm as it always was with halides, but the shimmers are much brighter than they were with halides from about 12 to 3pm. i think it is just because the light coming in is brighter than the halides were. the sun is still a point source for light - just like a halide bulb.

Unread 09/10/2008, 01:51 PM   #267
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I seem to recall the shimmer being more of a rainbow of colors, due to the wider variety of colors in the spectrum, it was truly a most awesome sight and made the shimmer from MH look so pale by comparison it wasn't funny... . seeing reds and yellows dancing around was just so stunning.

Quote:
Originally posted by g8gxp
????

The sunlight is being focused through lens now, how is it more diffused? It's like a magnifying glass.
It's more diffused. The sun is much more of a point source than the tubes. Here's an experiment you can try, hold up your pinky finger at arm's length you can block the entire sun (minus the glow) now you got 14" in diameter at a distance of a couple feet... way larger angular size.

Unread 09/10/2008, 02:09 PM   #268
hobogato
Registered Member

i am not at home right now, but i think you are right - there is more color in the shimmer. it is about like looking at a swimming pool.

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
I seem to recall the shimmer being more of a rainbow of colors, due to the wider variety of colors in the spectrum, it was truly a most awesome sight and made the shimmer from MH look so pale by comparison it wasn't funny... . seeing reds and yellows dancing around was just so stunning.

Unread 09/10/2008, 03:06 PM   #269
hobogato
Registered Member

well, looks like hurricane ike may give my work on the roof a pretty good test this weekend.....

Unread 09/10/2008, 03:19 PM   #270
jnarowe
Registered Member

I would shield them with my body.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 03:34 PM   #271
robot2222
Registered Member

REALLY COOL !!!!!!!!!!!! I AM IN PHX, AZ THINK IT WOULD WORK HERE.

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon bowfront
robot2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 05:05 PM   #272
elvictre
Registered Member

AZ is probably the perfect place for it, IMO.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2008, 08:29 PM   #273
Underwaterparadise
Registered Member

Great Job. I have always wanted Solar and one of these days when we build a house most of it will be Solar. I can't wait to see the growth and color after a year or so.

Current Tank Info: Taking a Vacation
Underwaterparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2008, 11:02 AM   #274
hobogato
Registered Member

yep, this has me thinking of all kinds of ways to go green when i am ready to have our next house built (even tho that is 12 years or so down the road). of course, who knows where technology will be at that time

Quote:
Originally posted by Underwaterparadise
Great Job. I have always wanted Solar and one of these days when we build a house most of it will be Solar. I can't wait to see the growth and color after a year or so.

Unread 09/11/2008, 11:33 AM   #275
Jester
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobogato
yep, this has me thinking of all kinds of ways to go green when i am ready to have our next house built (even tho that is 12 years or so down the road). of course, who knows where technology will be at that time
I am an Architect and I'm getting ready to start design/building my own home... I was planning on going to LEED certification... maybe this will help me earn some extra points... heheheee

30 gallon breeder prop tank build started... soon to be added to my build above...

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon drilled and plumbed thru-wall, Custom 10 gallon sump/fuge, Gen-X 4100 return, 2 Tunze Nanostream 6025s, AquaEuro Recirc 135 skimmer, 150watt HQI 14K Pheonix MH w/ 2x55watt PC lighting, lebos Lunar lights, 45#s live Rock, 20#s live sand...
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote