Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2010, 10:52 PM   #1
tcp316
Registered Member

Talking My new 90 gallon set up

I had the good fortune of receiving this 90 gallon tank and stand from a very generous MR who was downsizing. Thank you John!! It was worth the drive (over an hour away).

John drilled the back of the tank for me and I am getting an overflow built and will also get a Durso standpipe ordered.

Today, I freshened the stand with a fresh coat of black paint and all the little scuffs are gone and it looks brand new.

I decided to paint the back a color that looked like the sea. I was thinking of those beautiful Caribbean Seas. I looked at Home Depot and the exact color I had in mind popped right out at me when I went to look at paint chips. I pulled it out and would you believe it, the color name was "Caribbean Seas"! I grabbed it up for sure!

I cleaned the tank out real good and rinsed it with vinegar water, after scraping all the old Algae and coraline off. Then I took Acetone and clean the back of the tank several times making sure it was perfectly clean.
I applied 6 very thin coats of the blue paint with a very fine smooth foam roller and waited over night to see how the thin spots would show up with sunlight.

I could see the difference in some areas so I painted several coats of black paint so the light wouldn't show through and the background would be even.

I am very proud of how it turned out

Here is the tank and stand with fresh paint.

I picked up several skimmers today and am trying to figure out which one to use. One is a huge Emperor aquatics Aquafoam master #1. I need to find a pump to run it off of. It needs a Sedra 3500 or something comparible. If anyone has one they need to get rid of let me know

Here is a picture of the skimmer.

tcp316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2010, 10:53 PM   #2
tcp316
Registered Member

Quote:
Today, I freshened the stand with a fresh coat of black paint and all the little scuffs are gone and it looks brand new.
This is a picture before i painted the stand

Unread 02/14/2010, 10:26 AM   #3
bristle
Registered Member

Looking good. What kind of sump/overflow will you be using?

bristle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 10:31 AM   #4
vincer20
Registered Member

is this youre first sw tank?

vincer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 10:33 AM   #5
tcp316
Registered Member

Quote:
Looking good. What kind of sump/overflow will you be using?
Thanks, I am looking for a 40-45 gallon tank to use as the sump. I will put the skimmer there and a refugium. I am also looking for a mag 9.5 for the return pump. The return will be t'd off to return to both sides of the tank above.
I am having an overflow built to inside the tank from the bottom up. The hole is already drilled. I plan on using a durso stand pipe.
I am trying to do things one step at a time and not get in a hurry. I have a 46 gallon bowfront downstairs that I will transfer my rock from and some of the sand. Once I get my fish and corals transferred (not many corals as I just started getting them), I will tear down that tank and sell it.

Unread 02/14/2010, 10:36 AM   #6
tcp316
Registered Member

Quote:
is this youre first sw tank?
No, I have a 46 bowfront downstairs that I have had up for 16 months and I have been disappointed about it's location. Also, I just want to be able to put bigger fish in the tank. Since, I have been debating moving the other one upstairs and this once available I decided to go bigger instead.

Unread 02/14/2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Rensmif
Registered Member

thanks for sharing the pics coming on nice

Rensmif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2010, 07:49 AM   #8
joey_1023
Registered Member

i know u said you were going to be doing a corner overflow w/ a durso, just make sure u add a siphon break or 2. maybe even a check valve that is aquarium safe. fwiw just a head up if u didn't know.

Unread 02/15/2010, 08:18 AM   #9
tcp316
Registered Member

Quote:
i know u said you were going to be doing a corner overflow w/ a durso, just make sure u add a siphon break or 2. maybe even a check valve that is aquarium safe. fwiw just a head up if u didn't know.
Thank you I will check on that.

Unread 03/17/2010, 09:53 AM   #10
tcp316
Registered Member

Its been awhile since I posted on my build thread. I finally have it up and cycling. Here are a couple of pictures.

Sump running. I still have to go pick up some Chaeto.

My canopy, I got from another reefer. It is awesome. Matches my stand like I purchased them together. It was a bit too deep so my dear husband cut it down. It is made of oak so is a bit heavy so he is working to put some spring action hinges that will lock it open when I lift it. Once that is done he will install the lights for me.

Here is the tank up and running. I still need to bring more rock up from my other tank and I am going to pick up some base pieces as soon as I can find what I am looking for. I am trying to buy from other reefers.

I am going to do modifications to 2 1200 maxijets. For now I only have 2 running but have 2 more downstairs that I can't move due to the few corals and fish I have there. I have gotten rid of several fish I had and am still going to get rid of my sand sifting starfish and clown. i want to get a pair of clowns.

I was going to use some of the live sand and put in mounds on the sand that is rinsed but I had to wait so long that there was a lot of die off so I was afraid to do so. My sand downstairs is sugar fine. Would it hurt to use some of it or will it just make a huge sand storm. What I am using in this tank is slightly coarse aragonite.

Tags
90 gallon tank build