Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2013, 06:04 AM   #101
ackwasoldier
Registered Member

Please, while I understand some aspects of light I do admit there are some that totally melt my brain. Could someone tell me the difference in the light output of the 6100 hv and the 6200 hv? I know that the led configuration is different (more blues etc) and I read a comparison by Sanjay joshi who quotes a difference in spectral irradiance but is there a difference in par ratings? Is there any research/verified values on the differences or are they simply the colours that the beholder perceives?

If anybody could help a brother out it would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

ackwasoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2013, 07:03 AM   #102
reefmutt
Registered Member

Do you have a link to sanjay's comparison between the 6100 and 6200? I'd love to read it..

Being a layman and not an engineer of any type, I would submit that there is probably a relationship between spectral irradiance and par levels.. A similarity, I think where as one increases, so does the other.. To a certain degree, anyways..

I'm sure Micheal from Aquadigital will have some real data..

I think that par levels have more to do with bulk light output and spectral irradiance has more to do with what the coral perceives as opposed to what we perceive...
Not sure this helps you one tiny bit...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2013, 08:04 AM   #103
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

the only difference is less re more blue, which fall more into line with the market requirements from Europe to USA, so the 6200HV is the standard supplied model for the USA.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2013, 07:56 PM   #104
ackwasoldier
Registered Member

Hey reef mutt,

The comparison that I was referring to was the equipment review in the advanced aquarist, where he reviews the ecotech radion pro, Mitras 6100 and 6200 and the Aqua illumination hydra. By comparison I meant that he plots the spectral irradiance of both the 6200 HV and the 6100 HV (I hope I didn't make it sound like the review was a side-by-side review of the two models).

In the review he plots the spectral irradiance of the 6100 and 6200 models (while the plots look similar upon closer inspection there appears to be a difference in the scale used of the 'y axis'). And while what you've said is similar to what I think/thought I've been thinking/confused about dana Riddles comment at the very end of the section where she suggests that PAR ratings would be a more proficient means of scale as opposed to the spectral irradiance.

It kind of suggests (to me) that the relationship isn't linear - but I don't really know.

Here's that review mate:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

I guess this equates to me saying "I have no idea about the difference between spectral irradiance and PAR - nor their relationship to each other".

What do you reckon Reef mutt? does it read similar to you as well?

Does anyone else have any bright (pun) ideas what she meant?

Cheers

Last edited by ackwasoldier; 12/21/2013 at 08:01 PM.
ackwasoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2013, 09:22 PM   #105
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Spectral plots and PAR do not correlate with each other in any way.

The 6200 has a higher figure on the y-axis because there is more blue light than the 6100.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2013, 09:55 PM   #106
bdeibler
Registered Member

Great article, good read as I am saving up for some radion gen 2's. good to here the pros and the cons from some people that have them.

bdeibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2013, 08:50 PM   #107
reefmutt
Registered Member

Sorry ackwasoldier... I've already told you more than I know!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 12/23/2013, 12:02 AM   #108
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

There is some question as to if PAR is really the best way to measure reef lighting after a certain point.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2013, 08:37 AM   #109
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

have a read of this
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....FaTm7Aod4R0AAw

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Unread 06/06/2014, 06:33 AM   #110
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

I just wanted to say thanks for the information, I know the thread is kind of old but I was thinking about switching to mitras from my radion.

do have a question are teh mitras pucks easly upgradably and if so how much are they? I was offered a 6100lx hv and i know the 6200lxhv is out
thanks

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 06:51 AM   #111
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Hi yes you can upgraded easy fit I have a set in stock normal price $300 but have demo set here for $200

Unread 06/06/2014, 06:59 AM   #112
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Well that is deffinatly something to think about as it may be cheaper for me just to buy a. New fixture.

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
Unread 06/06/2014, 07:02 AM   #113
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

We also cant warranty second hand electronics something to think about too warranty on new is 2 years

Unread 06/06/2014, 07:09 AM   #114
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Wow didn't even think of that. Thanks

Unread 06/06/2014, 08:35 AM   #115
luamada
Love saltwater fishes...

Radion PRO question

Hello I have bought a new Radon Pro and I installed it on my quarantine tank for now. I plugged it into the computer and programmed to come on at 11AM to 11PM, then I put it on the quarantine tank canopy. Now the light comes on 11PM and goes off 11AM
I bought an APEX system and I would like to program the lights through it because I also bought the wireless apex adapter. But I am not sure if the Radiion lights can be programmed with the apex... any idea who I can call to talk to about the radion and the apex together? I appreciate any help Thank you
lu

Current Tank Info: 350G Deep See Aquatic with Sapphire glass 96.5X36.5X24, Sump Refugium, LED Radion PRO 3, 350 LV rock, Apex Controller, MP 60, auto-top-off, more to come
luamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 10:15 AM   #116
reefmutt
Registered Member

trueblack, here's my 2 cents regarding the two very good led lights; the mitras and the radion pro...

this is coming from a strictly sps nut.... the type of person who spends way too many hours standing over my tank contemplating subtle colour variances in acroporas... yes, i have better things to do, yet i still stand there and stare at my sps....

i have run the mitras over my own tank for over a year and i have installed a pair of pros (g2) over a frag tank on the same system.. i have also seen some pros in action over a couple of other sps tanks..
Both lights have produced great colour and growth for me. But i feel that the pros edge out the mitras in terms of overall performance, especially when ease of use and cost are added to the equation..
I must add that i feel that mh/t5 is still superior for producing the vast and hypnotizing array of colour variance found in acroporas, but sometimes heat and other factors make it difficult to use them.
If you are not a tech/computer person, the radions are MUCH easier to use, set up and program.. and they are slightly less expensive to buy..
I also believe that the 400 and 415 nm leds that are present in the radions but absent in the mitras is a very important consideration..
If GHL were to come out with a new led puck which removed the warmer white leds and replaced them with some real uv, id probably still prefer the mitras, but as the two fixtures are right now, id choose the radion pro g3 over the Mitras 6200hv..
i know some people will say the the 390 to 420nm spectrum is not utilized by the corals for photosynthesis and since humans don't see this area of the spectrum, it isn't really needed but i think that it still plays a role in coral coloration. perhaps this is only the case for acropora..
even if coral don't use this area of light, they must react to it as do humans by producing a change in skin colour.
i have no scientific or engineering background to back this up... it is only my experience that acropora seem to achieve their full colour potential best under mh/t5, but then second on the list would be an led light with a full array of leds which start closer to the 390-400 nm..

having said all this, i want to re state that maybe my uv argument can really only be applied to sps corals and acropora in particular.
If acros are not your holy grail, maybe uv isn't required...

Unread 06/09/2014, 11:16 AM   #117
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I also believe that the 400 and 415 nm leds that are present in the radions but absent in the mitras is a very important consideration..
If GHL were to come out with a new led puck which removed the warmer white leds and replaced them with some real uv, id probably still prefer the mitras, but as the two fixtures are right now, id choose the radion pro g3 over the Mitras 6200hv..
i know some people will say the the 390 to 420nm spectrum is not utilized by the corals for photosynthesis and since humans don't see this area of the spectrum, it isn't really needed but i think that it still plays a role in coral coloration. perhaps this is only the case for acropora..
even if coral don't use this area of light, they must react to it as do humans by producing a change in skin colour.
i have no scientific or engineering background to back this up... it is only my experience that acropora seem to achieve their full colour potential best under mh/t5, but then second on the list would be an led light with a full array of leds which start closer to the 390-400 nm..
Me too, I wish that Mitras had UV led in the 400-410nm range. The color of some of my corals was really intense under my other LED fixture which has 405nm UV leds. They lost that intensity being lit under Mitras, but color still looks good though.

dattong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2014, 11:28 AM   #118
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattong View Post
Me too, I wish that Mitras had UV led in the 400-410nm range. The color of some of my corals was really intense under my other LED fixture which has 405nm UV leds. They lost that intensity being lit under Mitras, but color still looks good though.
You are aware UV starts at 380nm going below not up and any slight UV spectrum left is completely negated by water refraction.

Please Google UV spectrum charts.

SPS have defense mechanics against UV also to protect themselves. Another worthy google session

what people get confused with is what is called Hyper violet this is why GHL use the term HV not UV, hyper violet is what makes your coral colour pop. However in this hobby everyone has got used to using the term UV which came from the T5 era. Metal halide is the only lamp that really dives into the UV spectrum but then filtered out by UV lenses.

Both Radion and Mitras seem to have pretty near matching spectrum graphs making them both equal contenders for coral "pop"

Unread 06/09/2014, 11:45 AM   #119
s2nhle
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2014, 11:55 AM   #120
dattong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
You are aware UV starts at 380nm going below not up and any slight UV spectrum left is completely negated by water refraction.

SPS have defense mechanics against UV also to protect themselves. Another worthy google session

what people get confused with is what is called Hyper violet this is why GHL use the term HV not UV, hyper violet is what makes your coral colour pop. However in this hobby everyone has got used to using the term UV which came from the T5 era. Metal halide is the only lamp that really dives into the UV spectrum but then filtered out by UV lenses.

Both Radion and Mitras seem to have pretty near matching spectrum graphs making them both equal contenders for coral "pop"
I merely compared the differences in the colors of my SPS sticks through observation. There's gotta be something different in the spectrum that i'm trying to figure out the right spectrum so I can get that intensity in color back.

Unread 06/09/2014, 11:58 AM   #121
dattong
Registered Member

By the way, my other led fixture has these uv 405nm leds which appear very dim but i'm sure they have something to do with the color of my SPS.

Unread 06/24/2014, 07:16 PM   #122
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
trueblack, here's my 2 cents regarding the two very good led lights; the mitras and the radion pro...

this is coming from a strictly sps nut.... the type of person who spends way too many hours standing over my tank contemplating subtle colour variances in acroporas... yes, i have better things to do, yet i still stand there and stare at my sps....

i have run the mitras over my own tank for over a year and i have installed a pair of pros (g2) over a frag tank on the same system.. i have also seen some pros in action over a couple of other sps tanks..
Both lights have produced great colour and growth for me. But i feel that the pros edge out the mitras in terms of overall performance, especially when ease of use and cost are added to the equation..
I must add that i feel that mh/t5 is still superior for producing the vast and hypnotizing array of colour variance found in acroporas, but sometimes heat and other factors make it difficult to use them.
If you are not a tech/computer person, the radions are MUCH easier to use, set up and program.. and they are slightly less expensive to buy..

having said all this, i want to re state that maybe my uv argument can really only be applied to sps corals and acropora in particular.
If acros are not your holy grail, maybe uv isn't required...
Well thank you for your reply, is there any way you could post a picture or two of the same sps under each fixture as a comparison? I mean chances are I am getting the mitras 100%. But I still would like to see.
Thanks as I am also absesed with sps lol

Unread 06/24/2014, 07:20 PM   #123
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post

Thanks for the information and I sent you a pm

Unread 06/24/2014, 08:23 PM   #124
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Just for a point of accuracy I did not pick up on earlier the Mitras has a spectrum that covers 405nm upwards, it was commented earlier it would be nice if Mitras has this, but its had this curve since day one

Unread 06/24/2014, 08:24 PM   #125
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Thanks for the information and I sent you a pm
got it and your in luck will reply tomorrow

Tags
ecotech, ghl, led, mitras, pro, radion