Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2016, 02:34 PM   #1976
JZinCO
Registered Member

Trigger?
You haven't mentioned butterfly fish have you?

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 02:37 PM   #1977
jraker
Registered Member

Parrotfish?

Current Tank Info: 36 gallon reef, 65 gallon Caribbean Biotope macroalgae and seagrass tank
jraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 04:42 PM   #1978
collegereefs
Registered Member

Lookdown?

collegereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 05:14 PM   #1979
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry to leave you guys hangin'!

The wife had a bizarre reaction to the new fish… she told me to go back to the LFS and get the other two!!!! I'm going to go ahead accept that this is a once in a lifetime situation…

I got the first one acclimated and introduced. The other two are acclimating now, for another ten minutes or so.

We have a winning guess! collegereefs is correct! I now have three juvenile LOOKDOWNS!!!

Pics to follow!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 08:15 PM   #1980
jraker
Registered Member

Cool. They will probably be okay in your tank for about a year or so, but they grow big. I have gone to the Shedd Aquarium and the ones they have there are easily 20"+.

Current Tank Info: 36 gallon reef, 65 gallon Caribbean Biotope macroalgae and seagrass tank
Unread 09/15/2016, 10:26 PM   #1981
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's about what I was thinking, jraker. I'll take a year with these 'dream fish'!

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:40 PM   #1982
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Not a good pic, but it'll do for now. Woo! What a thrill watching these fish in my own tank! Even with only (ha!) three, they were schooling. The gyre current in my tank seems to work well for them. They are very confident swimmers.

I also got two macro frags today. Dragon's Tongue and Dragon's Breath.

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 09/15/2016 at 10:46 PM.
Unread 09/16/2016, 03:02 PM   #1983
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
The wife had a bizarre reaction to the new fish… she told me to go back to the LFS and get the other two!!!!
Man is that some paranormal sh*t... lol

I would've been out the door and starting the car faster she could blink twice to get the other two! That's of course if I didn't die of shock first. haha

Those fish will always be looking down on you, Michael.
Pretty sweet!

How much would it be to ask for you to post a short video??
I want to see the swaying grass and new fishes swimming/behavior!

How does everything get along? blennies, grammas, inverts, etc...

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 03:56 PM   #1984
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

"Man is that some paranormal sh*t... lol" -I know right? I was stunned. Luckily, I didn't crash my car!

Now for some bad news; one died overnight. Big bummer.

Moving forward, I'm now trying to get them to eat. They didn't go after frozen mysis. I got some live feeder shrimp. The small one ate two of them quickly, but the big one didn't get any, I don't think. I'm stoked to get some food in one of them, at least for now. The grammas enjoyed what the lookdowns didn't eat. A few of the shrimp escaped capture, so I'm sure they'll get hunted down. I may try feeder minnows tomorrow. The shrimp didn't wiggle much when I put them in, so they didn't trigger a feeding response. Maybe minnows would be more enticing.

I'd love to do a video. I have played around with it a few times, but I wasn't able to get what I wanted, so I haven't followed through on it. These fish are definitely video-worthy, so I'll give it another try. They are bit beat up right now though, so I may wait until they're more presentable. I'm so vain!

The grammas and blennies are aware of the new predators lurking about, but with easy escape hatches, it's pretty much business as usual. When one of the lookdowns got too close, one of the blennies chased it away! I'd say the grammas are a little less spread all over the tank, and the blennies are maybe a little faster on the food capture/retreat.

I added two nassarius snails today, for additional leftover food cleanup.

Unread 09/17/2016, 03:50 PM   #1985
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Emotional rollercoaster.

So happy to get the new fish. But today I'm in a race against time, trying to get the big one to eat. The longer he goes, the worse he looks. Not a happy place. I hope he comes around soon. If not I may have to seriously consider force feeding.

Unread 09/17/2016, 10:02 PM   #1986
OrQidz
Registered Member

Beautiful tank as always and amazing fish. I'm sorry about the one and I hope the other starts eating well quickly.

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2016, 10:17 PM   #1987
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Emotional rollercoaster.

So happy to get the new fish. But today I'm in a race against time, trying to get the big one to eat. The longer he goes, the worse he looks. Not a happy place. I hope he comes around soon. If not I may have to seriously consider force feeding.
Do you know how long the LFS had them prior to purchasing them?

They might just be in shock going from the LFS's tank back to their natural environment (mini version)

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 09/17/2016, 11:07 PM   #1988
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks OrQidz!

Sam, I think they had just gotten them in that day. They've probably been out of the ocean for a week, not eating, so reserves get low. They were a little ragged, but I figured they'd be fine. These fish are supposed to be sturdy, but you have to get them eating first. I turned off one of the pumps, so they could swim a little easier. It seemed to help. The smaller one is eating live food, but not frozen. The big guy has not eaten anything. He's showing interest in feeders, but the little guy beats him to it-or the grammas get them. I may move him down to the quarantine tank, so he has no competition. But the stress of netting him could be dangerous. I like him having room to roam too, so I'm not sure. He does seem to enjoy the tank, riding the currents and seems a little better today.

Nerve wracking.

Unread 09/18/2016, 06:03 PM   #1989
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Ahhh we're pulling for him!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590557

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Display + 55 Gallon Sump/Fuge
zachxlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 11:10 PM   #1990
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Zach!

The big one still hasn't eaten, I don't think. The small lookdown has now eaten a little frozen mysis, along with a lot of feeder shrimp and minnows.

I may have to try putting him in quarantine, where he's the only one in there, so no competition. We'll see tomorrow. If it seems too stressful, I'll abort. He swims around well, so I have hope, but not eating is not cool.

Unread 09/19/2016, 05:59 AM   #1991
McPuff
Registered Member

Those look pretty awesome!!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 03:25 PM   #1992
jraker
Registered Member

I hope they do well. They are pretty cool fish.

Unread 09/19/2016, 03:59 PM   #1993
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks McPuff and jraker!

They are very cool fish! Unfortunately, I have been in fish-keeper hell, since I got them. I lost one the first night, and I've been struggling like never before, trying to get the big one to eat. Today, he ate a piece of flake food, then spit it out. Believe it or not I'm calling that progress! On two other occasions, I saw him "choking", where it looked like he was trying to get something down, so it's possible he has eaten a little. I'm still feeding live feeder shrimp and minnows, trying to trigger the feeding response. He has shown interest, but he's way too slow, and the other fish are not.

As I've mentioned before, I may move him to quarantine, but he's swimming so well, I'm reluctant. Plus, it's good for him to see other fish eat, to 'inspire' him to join the feast.

Unread 09/19/2016, 04:20 PM   #1994
sam.basye
Registered Member

Fish can go quite a while without eating. My female clown went a week without eating, and the whole tank has gone a week and a half without eating before - auto feeder malfunction..

Don't stress out too much. It will eat when it gets hungry enough!

Not sure why the one died. Must've been stress related.

Foam Wall
Unread 09/19/2016, 05:42 PM   #1995
jraker
Registered Member

Yeah. For some reason my flasher wrasse in the reef tank suddenly stopped eating, nothing was added or removed, it just stopped eating, which is weird, but I think it may resume soon. It is just the nature of the fish.

Unread 09/19/2016, 10:34 PM   #1996
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, Sam you're right. I left my tank for two and a half weeks not too long ago.

But these guys were a little ragged and I lost that first one, so I'm on edge.

I love flasher wrasses, jraker! I hope yours is OK.

Unread 09/20/2016, 02:45 PM   #1997
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Lookdown update:

The big one has finally eaten some live feeder fish! We may be out of the woods.

Unread 09/20/2016, 06:17 PM   #1998
jraker
Registered Member

Yeah, mine is ok. He is back on eating today. Good luck with your guys.

Unread 09/20/2016, 08:21 PM   #1999
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Super cool. Those are really neat looking.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590557

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Display + 55 Gallon Sump/Fuge
zachxlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2016, 10:24 PM   #2000
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

With all the extra food I'm dumping in the tank, I've let the macros go unpruned. This should help soak up stuff, while I get them transitioned to frozen food. So things are gonna get a little jungle-y around here.

I look forward to just enjoying the new fish without worry. Maybe even get some pics! They really are cool fish. I can't believe I have them!

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass