Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2019, 07:19 AM   #10851
Nrdau
Registered Member

Hello everyone

Nrdau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2019, 03:22 PM   #10852
toddman015
Registered Member

Hello fellow reefers. I began my descent into insanity about a year ago with a Biocube 32. It worked out so well that I am now in the process of my first upgrade/move to a new 75G w/external sump. The wife kept telling me I needed a hobby...I wonder if she regrets that now

toddman015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2019, 03:33 AM   #10853
magneezy
Registered Member

New from Hawai'i

Aloha everyone!

I'm somewhat new. Ive had a 55gal running an Aquatop canister and a Red Sea HOB protein skimmer for about 3 years now.

I got into it because my kids wanted a tank, but now I'm sort of addicted.

Im switching to a 40gal Uniquarium next month so I will be building a stand from the designs here so far.

I know its not the best setup, the Uniquarium, but its what I have to work with given the space available so lets be constructive since it is very possible.

Also, why does the Search function not work for me??

magneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2019, 08:51 PM   #10854
ddauti1
Registered Member

Hi all name is dan from north jersey, i just recently got a 20gallon nano tank. First time saltwater owner, it has been 3 weeks so far. Started with live rock,sand some coral, clean crew, fish. Been tracking my salinity and with a huge help from Sea Level Aquariums in parsippany, nj(owner Warren is phenomenal) please any help or recommendations feel free to let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddauti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 05:55 PM   #10855
raylinds
Registered Member

Ray from Connecticut. I am actually not new here as I had a reef tank and joined this forum in the late 90s. I moved from Florida back to the city in early 2000 and had to get rid of all my gear as I had no room for my 150G tank in my small NYC apartment.

I recently retired early and moved into a house on a lake in Connecticut and have plenty of room so I have a 110G tank and stand on order and am putting together the rest of my gear.

I am considering myself a newbie as a lot has changed(and a lot has been forgotten) in almost 20 years.

I am confident that I will be successful as my previous tank was always very healthy and I managed not to kill anything!

raylinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 05:57 PM   #10856
raylinds
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylinds View Post
Ray from Connecticut. I am actually not new here as I had a reef tank and joined this forum in the late 90s. I moved from Florida back to the city in early 2000 and had to get rid of all my gear as I had no room for my 150G tank in my small NYC apartment.

I recently retired early and moved into a house on a lake in Connecticut and have plenty of room so I have a 110G tank and stand on order and am putting together the rest of my gear.

I am considering myself a newbie as a lot has changed(and a lot has been forgotten) in almost 20 years.

I am confident that I will be successful as my previous tank was always very healthy and I managed not to kill anything!
Oh, BTW I did rejoin in 2012 with the idea of starting a tank then, but it never materialized for various reasons.

raylinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2019, 01:15 AM   #10857
Sammy789
In Memoriam

I am SEO Expert in a private company. I live in Flordia.

Sammy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2019, 02:15 PM   #10858
smilinteddy
Registered Member

Hello! I'm getting back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. I formerly had a 3ft cube full reef setup. After losing almost all of my livestock in a major blackout, a marriage, move, and child birth, I'm jumping back in after all but abandoning the hobby. My baby boy is intrigued by sea life and will watch aquarium scenes on our TV and be entranced , so my wife suggested we get a tank setup as a gift for him (and for me because she knows how much I miss the hobby).

I am buying an IM nuvo 30l system from another local reefer who just upgraded to something larger and this will tide us over until we finish redoing/finishing our basement and getting it ready for a large peninusla tank (I'm already planning it out and planning on putting money away in a "dream build" fund for the next couple years.

Anyways, back to the current build. Since I've been able to save on most of the tank components (tank, stand, skimmer, media reactor, return pump, ATO, wave pumps for $500) I want to outfit this tank with some good lights and some upgraded components if need be.

What are some things I should be looking in to such as lights and otherwise for this little tank? I want to be able to keep sps, maybe a clam or two and a few small fish. So much has changed since last I was in the hobby, but it looks like an exciting time to be jumping back in.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

smilinteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 11:10 AM   #10859
aquadavid
Registered Member

Hello everyone

Unread 06/02/2019, 06:23 PM   #10860
RichN
Registered Member

umped back into the hobby after being away for about 15 years. I have a Red Sea 130 that has been running for 90 days. Picking up a 90 set up this weekend. Im sure I'll run into issues and have plenty of questions soon. Im blow away by the progress the hobby has had in the time I was gone.

RichN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2019, 04:12 PM   #10861
Systemwizardinc
Registered Member

not to new just been gone a long time

not to new just been gone a long time

Systemwizardinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 10:26 PM   #10862
ianwouters
Registered Member

Hello I’m fairly new to the hobby. I started out with a biocube 32 after I helped my brother get a 120 gallon set up. Now that I finished stocking my biocube with fish and creatures I have started working on a 75 gallon with an external 20 gallon sump. Me being me and loving everything dangerous I am buying a lionfish as my first predator for the 75 gallon. Along with that I have just finished cycling my 55 gallon coral tank which will hold my lionfish till the 75 gallon is done cycling and I decide to finally add coral to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianwouters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2019, 08:46 PM   #10863
reef r madness
Registered Member

I'm not really new to the site or the hobby...just been out of it for a few years..trying to get back in to it...got my first aio...its been set up for about 5 weeks

reef r madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 12:40 AM   #10864
Aiptaisia
Registered Member

Hello, im somewhat new, actually i only have a pico reef which has nothing but a live rock and a 5 heads of paly and a pencil urchin. Now im actually planning to turn it into a pest tank, but i cant find one that sells majano anemone, thats my first priority next would be asterina and last is micro brittle stars and pretty macro algae( my pencil has to go ofc but i would certainly miss him he was mu first livestock after all fairly hardy ), anyway can i buy/look for someone that sells one in here...?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Aiptaisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 07:32 AM   #10865
Chefwheredyougo
Registered Member

Brand new to the marine hobby, been around the FW scene for awhile. Just purchased a 56g column tank a few days ago, figured it's time to attempt a SW. I will be taking this tank very slowly to, (hopefully), prevent a catastrophic failure.

This is the only type of "social media" I'm on. Anyone in the northeast Oklahoma region?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chefwheredyougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2019, 12:12 PM   #10866
woodwerker
Registered Member

Hi!! My name is Ed and I live in Central Florida. I'm new to salt water and would like some advice on getting started. I would like to build a 36 x36x 16 tank. Some people I have spoken with to have told me that I shouldn't make the tank that tall because of maintenance and also the light would not reach my coral. Is there any truth to this?

woodwerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2019, 07:02 PM   #10867
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwerker View Post
...I would like to build a 36 x36x 16 tank...
36 inches square, 16 inches tall? not a concern.

36 x 16, 36 inches tall? maintenance and lighting would be a concern.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2019, 06:10 AM   #10868
woodwerker
Registered Member

Thanks for the response! How's about 24" tall? I've always wanted a tall tank and what of all the tall tanks one sees at like Sea World and places like that? Why wouldn't the lighting work? and as far as maintenance is concerned I could use a longer tube to vacuum the bottom. at 24" tall that would give me a a 60gallon tank. That would actually be better for my 20 gallon sump. W
ouldn't it?

Unread 06/30/2019, 06:15 AM   #10869
woodwerker
Registered Member

if I went 30" tall it would give me a 75 gallon tank, but then again would a 20 gallon sump be sufficient for a 75 gallon?

Unread 06/30/2019, 10:09 AM   #10870
woodwerker
Registered Member

How can I send you a PDF for my design??Unless you have autocad?? lol

Unread 06/30/2019, 11:07 AM   #10871
woodwerker
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 07/12/2019, 10:12 AM   #10872
NDIrish
Registered Member

Hi to RC

Hi, my name is Thomas.
Quite a few years ago. I had a 75g sps/lips tank. Do to life getting in the way, I couldn't devote the time I needed to so I got out of reefing.
Now do to changes and I have the time, I am getting back in cause I enjoyed it.
I have noticed there has been lot of changes, so I have to learn from the basics although a lot is coming back to me.
Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 02:09 PM   #10873
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Hello,
My name is Dave & ive been messing around with saltwater tanks since the 80s along with other hobbys.....back then it was undergravel filters & fish.. no corals, tho i did have a nurse shark i enjoyed until it got larger then my 40 gal. long tank! Donated it to the public aquarium in Chicago via a friend. Today a LOT has changed in the hobby.......now its live rock & automation of anything one can imagine. If you can afford it the Planet offers anything you need or want. Have to say i do enjoy a reef tank tenfold over a FOWLR nowadays and the learning curve never stops that also keeps it an interesting hobby forever. I remember when there was no internet or forums like this to ask questions or read & everything was either taken on trust, a dicey guess, or from a outdated book. Yes, im old as dirt but still have my sense of humour.....LOL. Reef Central is an awesome friendly family forum, & we are all better for it to have such a place to visit, read, hopefully add something meaningful, and to ask any questions at the clk of a mouse.

Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 06:24 PM   #10874
TDChu
Registered Member

Hello

TDChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 10:48 PM   #10875
neltel_7
Registered Member

Starting a 40 gallon reef tank

So I am pretty experienced regarding freshwater tanks and have been doing some pretty cool tanks for a while. But I recently bought a 40 gallon tank and decided that I want to try something new (I know saltwater tanks are a whole nother beast). So I am starting a reef tank and for the past week I have been vigorously studying reef tanks but I still feel like I don't know enough. Can someone please give me a list of what I would need for starting my tank. I do not plan on having a refugium but I am open to having a canister filter. I also wanted to know if I could use a HOB filter with an internal filter/primer because I am very comfortable with using these filters and media.( I am also considering adding a protein skimmer)
I also really like gobies and have a bunch in my freshwater tanks so I wanted to know if I would need anything special if I wanted to keep them.
Thanks so much in advance!

neltel_7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral