Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Oxygen

So I am running a 30 gallon tank. It's been up for over a year. I just did a 50 percent water change over the weekend. Before the water change I ended up loosing a tang I bought about 2 weeks a go. It started not looking healthy over last couple days. Over night I lost a yellow tang that's been in there for probably 6 months.. I've now got a clown fish that's been in there for a year. I checked the nitrates and they r normal. I dont use a sump anymore and just run the tank through a canister filter system. So could I not be getting enough oxygen in the tank all the sudden? I put a air pump in it for now just in case. Does anyone run a air pump on a regular basis? I'm wondering if it's not getting as much oxygen since going to a canister filter but I've had that running for probably a couple months and do water changes about every two weeks. Just curious

Bremenguppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 03:41 PM   #2
j.falk
Registered Member

If you didn't have enough oxygen in the tank your fish would be at the top of the water gasping.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

Okay. I must have something else going on.

Unread 04/16/2019, 04:13 PM   #4
j.falk
Registered Member

Have you checked your ammonia levels?

Unread 04/17/2019, 02:16 AM   #5
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

No I haven't. I need to get a new ammonia test kit.

Unread 04/17/2019, 06:16 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

That’s to big of a water change, why so big

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 06:32 AM   #7
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
That’s to big of a water change, why so big
I was thinking that as well...also wondering if they siphoned the majority of the tank bottom at the time of the water change...that could've caused an ammonia spike.

Unread 04/17/2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

50% seems to be about the usual amount by time I get the bottom all cleaned.. idk if I caused an ammonia spike or not. I'm taking a sample of my water to fish store tomorrow to have it all checked. My clown was struggling tonight too. I set up a 5 gal tank and moved them all to it and they seem to be doing better. I checked my salt level and it's at about 25 which is a little higher than I normally keep it. It's usually around 22 so I'm not sure if that's got something to do with it. Hopefully have some answers after going to fish store

Unread 04/17/2019, 06:16 PM   #9
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

I get a lot junk and waste after about two weeks laying on the bottom. I've got some leg hermit crabs, some emerald crabs, a horse shoe crab in the tank to try keep it cleaned up. Could there be something different I can try. I see other tanks that look so crisp and clean and I hear of guys say they hardly ever have to clean them. So what's the trick to that because I have not figured it out yet

Unread 04/17/2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Jason9488
Registered Member

What kind of tang?

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 07:07 PM   #11
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

A yellow tang and another one that was part of the tang family. I believe it was called a angel tang but not positive

Unread 04/18/2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Bremenguppie
Registered Member

So I took water sample in to be tested and everything was perfect. No nitrates..no ammonia..nothing. they said it was perfect.. then they tested the salinity level.. turns out my $13 meter was no longer accurate. I was at 1.30 salinity. They said that was most likely the cause. So I bought a better meter from them
. Took out about 4 gallons of water and put in just plain rodi water with no salt and got my levels back down to about 1.22.

Unread 04/22/2019, 07:53 AM   #13
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Yes, that high salinity would be hard on fish.
The higher the salinity, the more difficult it is for fish to process (breath)
50% WC is too much

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote