Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2015, 12:12 AM   #101
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Well, digging this up...

I managed to hunt down the purple and green digi! Later named ROAB digi apparently.

Also got that ORA Pavona. Not quite as nice as my old one IMO, a little shaggier and smaller, but nice.

There are definitely some nice new Montipora coming in these days that we didn't have back then. I feel like the hobby is overdue for some new colors of undata or confusa though, those species don't get the love that they deserve

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed display 100g rubbermaid sump/prop tank, 20g refugium, 100g half cube rimless acro display, 3x 100-180g prop tanks. All powered by LED.
therman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 03:25 AM   #102
Big E
Registered Member

Tim,

Do you have this one? I bought it years ago but eventually lost it. They come in wild occasionally.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 07:00 PM   #103
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

I got to jump in and say hello! I miss having a tank and am really looking to set something up soon. My hats off to the old school reefers! Many challenges these days, cost of power, water etc. Got 400 watters put away still, Radium and Iwasaki.

Great thread guys!!!

Joe

Joe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 09:26 PM   #104
Mark
Premium Member

Joe, you need another tank man! Your old reef with sps and turtle grass was a favorite! Therman have you added palawensis yet?
http://uniquecorals.com/coral/sps/mo...tock-frag.html

TOTM March 2001

Current Tank Info: 225g stony reef, 38g softie
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 10:39 PM   #105
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Hey Joe! Another legend visiting the thread!

Ed, I think that is a danae of sorts. Never tried one of those wild ones. I finally got the "true" appleberry to grown next to my knockoff. Very different colorations, both great corals.

Mark, I do have some little pieces of those, along with a TON of the "slowburn" or "nautispiral" one that has been around a few years. The "beach bum" and "outrage" I have are so much better looking, but haven't grown anywhere close to as fast for me...plus started a lot smaller!

I've got Adam's "metal polyp monti" plugging along now and acclimated to my LEDs, it is a real oddball too.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed display 100g rubbermaid sump/prop tank, 20g refugium, 100g half cube rimless acro display, 3x 100-180g prop tanks. All powered by LED.
Unread 07/01/2015, 10:55 PM   #106
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
I got to jump in and say hello! I miss having a tank and am really looking to set something up soon. My hats off to the old school reefers! Many challenges these days, cost of power, water etc. Got 400 watters put away still, Radium and Iwasaki.

Great thread guys!!!

Joe
Wow, nice to hear from you! Joe, I remember visiting you and your tank and 200g refugium, I was in awe! I can't even remember when that was, probably over 10-15 years ago!

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2015, 08:20 AM   #107
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Joe, you need another tank man! Your old reef with sps and turtle grass was a favorite! Therman have you added palawensis yet?
http://uniquecorals.com/coral/sps/mo...tock-frag.html
Hi Mark, I do need a tank and miss that 180/ sea grass and SPS, especially my black tang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therman View Post
Hey Joe! Another legend visiting the thread!
Therman, I'm incredibly humbled looking at your tank and passion for reefing! Keep it up! The legend is sharing all your and our information and success with the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Wow, nice to hear from you! Joe, I remember visiting you and your tank and 200g refugium, I was in awe! I can't even remember when that was, probably over 10-15 years ago!
Hi Maximus!!!! I remember when you came over! Yes it was a while ago, 15 years I think. I did the best I could and made a lot of mistakes too, spent a lot of money lol. I miss hanging out with everybody and want to set something up soon.

Joe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2019, 08:52 PM   #108
Frisco
Premium Member

Therman, nice tank

Current Tank Info: In Between Tanks
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 05:07 PM   #109
Mark
Premium Member

Frisco! He lives! :-)

TOTM March 2001

Unread 04/15/2019, 05:39 PM   #110
Frisco
Premium Member

Therman seemed to have sent me a PM about this thread in 2014, and I haven’t been on the site for a while and obviously don’t check my inbox often enough. I thought it would be rude not to reply and that the thread deserved a bump. My tank has been sitting empty in my garage for 10 years since I moved, and I still hope to do something with it after I remodel my house. It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do though.

Current Tank Info: In Between Tanks
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 06:06 PM   #111
Mark
Premium Member

Good to see some of the original gang on here. Hope you are well!

TOTM March 2001

Unread 04/30/2019, 02:06 PM   #112
smatter
Registered Member

This kind of fun simply can't be had on the other site!

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 01:14 AM   #113
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Quote:
I need to get some more confusa someday. I remember Tim and I really wanted to set up a montipora dominated tank over a decade ago. Ahh, life was so carefree and simple back then. I never tested for phosphates, had no clue what gfo was and biopellets weren't even in the picture. ULNS, Zeo, needlewheel skimmers, what the hell were those? I used to run a ETSS Reef Devil downdraft skimmer and Iwasaki's on my 100g sps dominated tank in the mid to late 90's. This thread sorta reminds me of the Jimmy Fallon skit, "Simpler Times" ( I think it was Fallon or Leno?).
Ok Sang, to show you how old school I am.... I finally started testing phosphates and used GFO for the first time, 6 years after you posted this

Unread 01/17/2020, 10:20 AM   #114
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Lol coral vue sometime still stock those purple vho bulb but the led bar now a days is much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 12:01 PM   #115
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok Sang, to show you how old school I am.... I finally started testing phosphates and used GFO for the first time, 6 years after you posted this
Can't believe I'm still in this crazy hobby. I still regret the day I had planned to meet you guys in Cali and for some reason, I couldn't make it. How's the family doing?

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Unread 01/17/2020, 12:07 PM   #116
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Holy Crap, Sang is back!!! This means he will use stuff for 6 months and then I can buy it off of him cheap!!!!
Oh man, brings back so many memories!! LOL!

Unread 01/17/2020, 12:12 PM   #117
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
I always remember you and Los talking about Menard's and i asked...."you buy corals from the hardware store?"

I also remember when i traded Sang Toy Story toys for his corals. How's your son Sang? Need more toys?
WOW! Believe it or not, my son is a junior at UC Berkeley now studying as a pre med! Man, time just flies. Pretty insane to read old posts.

Unread 01/17/2020, 02:14 PM   #118
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Ha! I was just chatting with Ty Ta and he said he thought you were an "anemone bro"...I laughed and said that you've probably been an "everything bro" at least a few times...Monti bro, Zoa Bro, Acro Bro, Gorgonian Bro, Macroalgae bro, Favia bro, Hydnophora bro....

Unread 01/17/2020, 02:15 PM   #119
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Family is great...not as old as yours, but 6 and 9, which is very hard to wrap my head around.

Unread 01/17/2020, 02:53 PM   #120
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Ha! I was just chatting with Ty Ta and he said he thought you were an "anemone bro"...I laughed and said that you've probably been an "everything bro" at least a few times...Monti bro, Zoa Bro, Acro Bro, Gorgonian Bro, Macroalgae bro, Favia bro, Hydnophora bro....
Yeah, I've done it all lol. Can't shake this hobby, man!

Unread 01/17/2020, 05:14 PM   #121
MrSandman
Team RC Member

Quote:
WOW! Believe it or not, my son is a junior at UC Berkeley now studying as a pre med! Man, time just flies. Pretty insane to read old posts.
Damn! You guys are old! Lol.

Current Tank Info: 112G 36"x36"x20" Lee-mar rimless. Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293182.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 05:58 PM   #122
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Damn! You guys are old! Lol.
Ramon!! Aren’t you as old as us?? Lol! Man, nice to see some old and familiar “faces” at RC!

Unread 01/17/2020, 06:55 PM   #123
MrSandman
Team RC Member

Quote:
Ramon!! Aren’t you as old as us?? Lol! Man, nice to see some old and familiar “faces” at RC!

Haha. Yeah. We’re all old. I cant believe I hit my 20 year anniversary on RC this year. That’s almost as old as the internet. Hit me up if you need toys for the grandkids. Lol.

Current Tank Info: 112G 36"x36"x20" Lee-mar rimless. Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293182.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2020, 12:06 AM   #124
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Quote:
Haha. Yeah. We’re all old. I cant believe I hit my 20 year anniversary on RC this year. That’s almost as old as the internet. Hit me up if you need toys for the grandkids. Lol.
I'm not old, you're old!!

Looks like Mark, Frisco, and Carlos are the old timers. They already had their 20 yr anniversaries!

I've got some RichK confuse for you Sang, whenever you are ready. Time to fire up that Montipora tank again...

Unread 01/18/2020, 10:03 AM   #125
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not old, you're old!!

Looks like Mark, Frisco, and Carlos are the old timers. They already had their 20 yr anniversaries!

I've got some RichK confuse for you Sang, whenever you are ready. Time to fire up that Montipora tank again...
Awesome! I love that monti!! I’ll be at my 20th anniversary next year!