Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2016, 02:02 PM   #1
T206
Registered Member

Talking Skimz SV203 vs Nyos Quantum 160 & Reef Octopus elite 150sss

Hi Guys,

I just purchased the new Nyos Quantum 160 but am still torn between three models. I am trying to decide between using the Nyos Quantum 160 I have on order, the Skimz SV203 oval skimmer (DC controllable), as well as the Super Reef Octopus Elite 150SSS (DC controllable). The SRO Elite is a little more than I want to spend. Does anyone have any input for me? I have a Reef Octopus classis space saver 110 that is really undersized for my system. The system is about 100 gallons total and sump space is premium real estate.

I would like to add I also have a SRO 1000 right now and have had nothing but trouble with it.

The guy at my local LFS recommended the NYOS because he has a Korallen Zucht skimmer but that is too expensive.

What do you vote for?

1. Skimz SV203 oval (or other skimz model)
2. Nyos Quantum 160
3. Reef Octopus Regal
4. Reef Octopus Elite 150sss

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SkimzSV203.jpg (39.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg quantum_160.jpg (30.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg regal.jpg (13.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Elite SSS.jpg (13.6 KB, 73 views)
T206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 02:51 PM   #2
yacn
Registered Member

I was about to buy a used SRO 2000. Interested in the problems you incurred with your 1000.

I don't have any experience with the skimmers you are referring to....but would be concerned with DC pumps running em. DC motors will be expensive to replace and sooner or later you'll need to replace it....I also don't hear good things about DC motors....so I am shying away from them.

yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Mark426
Registered Member

I like the Nyos. Some think the cup is on the small side, others have said that some parts are too fragile. All in all...still has my vote for the overall winner.

p.s. IMHO, a DC motor in a skimmers isn't really an advantage. For a return pump, DC can be nice to have.

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Jerine
Registered Member

I have the Skimz Monster SM161 and I am very happy with it. I considered Reef Octopus, but opted to go with the Skimz. The Nyos wasn't available when I was looking for a skimmer but I dont think I would've gone that direction anyway just because of the price.

Jerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Jim dawg
Registered Member

My 2 cents

I purchased a Nyos Quantine 160 skimmer from Aquacave on 1/25/2016 and I have been having trouble with it. Aquacave has been very helpful, however the skimmer is not working correctly after approximately 3 weeks of operation.

I have pulled the unit apart and checked it, put it back together sense I have spoke with the gentlemen from aquacave last week. I am very concerned now that it has been 3 weeks without proper skimming for my reef tank.

Symptom is not skimming and a ton of micro bubbles.

It is sitting in 7.5" inches of water running.
There is a break in period, and it has been installed for 21 days now. The bypass valve for water is fully adjusted to the closed position and the bubble valve is 98% closed just to get it about 3-4 inches from the collection cup.

My thoughts are the motor is bad or the venturi coupler felt very loose and could be possible losing suction (part#QXXX1024) .

Any thoughts or suggestions

Jim dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 10:50 PM   #6
T206
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacn View Post
I was about to buy a used SRO 2000. Interested in the problems you incurred with your 1000.

I don't have any experience with the skimmers you are referring to....but would be concerned with DC pumps running em. DC motors will be expensive to replace and sooner or later you'll need to replace it....I also don't hear good things about DC motors....so I am shying away from them.
I just could not get the darn thing tuned. I even broke it in both in the sump and in a bucket for weeks. I finally gave up and am moving onto the next. Don't be scared of DC pumps. I love them, although sometimes added technology isn't a benefit in this case it is. I like the added control ability. Have you considered vertex alpha?

Unread 02/15/2016, 10:52 PM   #7
T206
Registered Member

problems with nyos/sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim dawg View Post
My 2 cents

I purchased a Nyos Quantine 160 skimmer from Aquacave on 1/25/2016 and I have been having trouble with it. Aquacave has been very helpful, however the skimmer is not working correctly after approximately 3 weeks of operation.

I have pulled the unit apart and checked it, put it back together sense I have spoke with the gentlemen from aquacave last week. I am very concerned now that it has been 3 weeks without proper skimming for my reef tank.

There is a break in period, and it has been installed for 21 days now. The bypass valve for water is fully adjusted to the closed position and the bubble valve is 98% closed just to get it about 3-4 inches from the collection cup.

My thoughts are the motor is bad or the venturi coupler felt very loose and could be possible losing suction (part#QXXX1024) .

I was having the same tuning issues with the SRO 1000. Optimally I'd go with the bubble king or the Reef Octopus Elite 150sss. Mine wouldn't stop overflowing. They said oh its because of oils in the motor or additives in your water, which I know is B*ll S$%t because the current reef octopus thats in there now works fine.

Unread 02/16/2016, 07:16 AM   #8
yacn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206 View Post
I just could not get the darn thing tuned. I even broke it in both in the sump and in a bucket for weeks. I finally gave up and am moving onto the next. Don't be scared of DC pumps. I love them, although sometimes added technology isn't a benefit in this case it is. I like the added control ability. Have you considered vertex alpha?
Thanks for the info. I am getting a good deal....so I figure I'll give the SRO 2000 a try. I own a euro reef 100 so if I run into adjustment problems with the SRO I can always go back to ER.

I did look at the Vertex Alpha but don't want to spend that kind of money for skimmer. To me the new skimmers all look the same...bubble plate, acrylic cylinder, motor and some include a gate valve...ie. vertex, skimz, bubble magus, aquamaxx, aqua euro, reef octopus, nyos, etc.

yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 08:28 AM   #9
MelloW33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim dawg View Post
My 2 cents

I have the exact opposite issue. My 160 won't stop overflowing the collection cup for 2+ weeks. I'm running it wide open. Maybe we should switch skimmers?

Unread 02/16/2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Jim dawg
Registered Member

I am getting the run around

Unread 02/16/2016, 04:08 PM   #11
Jim dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloW33 View Post
I have the exact opposite issue. My 160 won't stop overflowing the collection cup for 2+ weeks. I'm running it wide open. Maybe we should switch skimmers?
How high is your water level?

Unread 02/16/2016, 07:16 PM   #12
MelloW33
Registered Member

I've tried 7"-8.5"

Unread 02/21/2016, 11:33 AM   #13
Jim dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
I've tried 7"-8.5"
The customer service from echo tech has been a bad experience. I removed the skimmer now and purchased a new pump for my old ASM skimmer. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND the NYOS 160 SKIMMER to anyone. It has been 30 days sense I purchased it, and it is a $500.00 dollar piece of #%^&. I was trying to upgrade my current skimmer unfortunately was fooled.

Echo Tech has agreed to replace the unit as of last Thursday, but in order to replace it, you have to call the customer tech number to give them you credit card to do the exchange (understandably). The problem is you wait on the phone for 7 to 10 minutes on hold and then a answering machine comes on asking for you to leave your name and number ( I have done this twice) and so far no response.

So Mark have you contacted Echo Tech? and did they solve your issue?

Unread 02/21/2016, 12:13 PM   #14
Piranha_Owns
Registered Member

Reef Octopus Elite

Piranha_Owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2016, 12:36 PM   #15
Seajackalope
Registered Member

Quote:
I was having the exact same issue with an aquamaxx q2 skimmer. After wrestling with it for about 8 weeks a guy from marine Depot suggested I run a carbon reactor to thin the water out. Previously I had just been running the carbon bags. The carbon reactor did help the overflowing problem when the exhaust was all the way open. I was able to close the valve a little once I had the reactor without overflowing the cup immediately. That being said in my case I couldn't get the aquamaxx to pull decent skimmate even after the carbon reactor... I just ordered a sro regal 150sss to replace the aquamaxx. I run a sro elite 220sss on my 300 gallon system and it is awesome. Once I got it dialed in I now never have to adjust it and it performs great. I feel like the DC pump helped me get it dialed in perfectly. I'm not slamming aquamaxx as a lot of people seemed to have a great experience with it... I feel like there was something wrong with mine and I just got sick of trying to mess with it. Also sick of the more frequent water changes to try and control nutrients while no decent skimming was occurring.

Seajackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2016, 09:18 AM   #16
rdcdennis
Registered Member

exact same problem w/ 160

Having the same problem- valve is commpletly closed and produces minimal skimmate. When i first installed three months ago the thing worked great and the valve was wide open!!! Then all of the sudden the foam level fell way down in chamber- thats when i started adjusting water level valve - like i said its completly closed now- working with eco tech to get this issue resolved- they said my tank was to clean- bull@#$%- installed and old deltec mc 500 and without any break in period it produced tones of dirty, stinky skimmate. Nyos has a problem with the pump- 99.9% sure of this issue as i can not make this thing overflow- which it should with valve completly closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dawg View Post
the customer service from echo tech has been a bad experience. I removed the skimmer now and purchased a new pump for my old asm skimmer. i would not recommend the nyos 160 skimmer to anyone. It has been 30 days sense i purchased it, and it is a $500.00 dollar piece of #%^&. I was trying to upgrade my current skimmer unfortunately was fooled.

Echo tech has agreed to replace the unit as of last thursday, but in order to replace it, you have to call the customer tech number to give them you credit card to do the exchange (understandably). The problem is you wait on the phone for 7 to 10 minutes on hold and then a answering machine comes on asking for you to leave your name and number ( i have done this twice) and so far no response.

So mark have you contacted echo tech? And did they solve your issue?

rdcdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:49 PM   #17
agam909
Registered Member

Nyos 160

Its also happend to me, valve like whole closed, bad skimming not event go to the neck..what a waste
But my SRO and Chinesse superb

agam909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyos, protein skimmer, reef octopus, reef tank, skimz