Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2014, 10:29 AM   #26
CrossFit_Reefer
Registered Member

I have ordered a 72x24x30 rimless tank. Can you tell me how many 52's I would need and how would I position them (---- or I-I-I-I) I will have a mixed reef set up with clams as well. Please tell me what mounting set up you recommend. I want Minsk power cords showing. I want it as clean as possibly. Thanks in advance

CrossFit_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2014, 09:45 AM   #27
MarineDepot
Sponsor

AI Hydra vs. Hydra FiftyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtispants View Post
I have a quick question...

I'm planning a 24"X24"x20X tank that is 50 gallons. I was looking around RC and saw people suggest the AI LED lighting but there are two options, a 52 and a hydra. For a 24" tank that is only 20" tall, could either do the job? I plan on having an sps piece or two, maybe a clam...I want to be able to house anything I want pretty much. I don't want my light to limit what I can keep. That said, I'm confused about how I'd mount them. I only want one fixture and I want it to sit horizontal to the front of the tank. I'm also contemplating the Apex with the module that will control the fixture. The module will control either of these fixtures correct?

Thank you in advance for all of my pita questions!

Thank you for the questions and we are happy to help.

AquaIllumination is a great brand name and both fixtures would provide plenty of light and will not limit the corals you can keep in a tank that is 20" deep. Just be sure you place your coral appropriately based on lighting needs. Both fixtures are controllable using the Neptune Systems APEX and AWM module.

The FiftyTwo has an even spread of light as each puck contains the same number and color of individual LED diodes. It has a total of 52 LED diodes in 7 different colors. It will provide higher PAR values at a given depth when compared to the Hydra so you can place higher light demanding corals deeper in the aquarium.

With the Hydra fixture, you get an excellent price point and still get all the great control features of more expensive LED fixtures. The LED diodes colors are different on each puck. This will still provide a nice spectrum for coral growth but you may experience slight color zones in the tank. It has 20 LED diodes in 7 different colors. It will provide you plenty of light for SPS corals in the center of the tank within the first 15" of water depth.

For mounting parallel to your viewing pane, your best choice would be a suspension mount. You can utilize the AI Suspension Kit to anchor the fixture into your ceiling or hanging arms.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2014, 05:49 PM   #28
Led Bizkit
Registered Member

Can I run two Vegas and two HYDRA 52's on the same wireless controller?

Thanks

Led Bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2014, 10:14 AM   #29
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Led Bizkit,

Yes, you can run two Vegas and two Hydra 52's on the same wireless controller. However, the intensity of each channel will be the same across all four lights. For example, if you set the white intensity at 50%, all four lights will be at 50%.

To be able to control the lights separately, you will need either two wireless controllers or the Director.

Unread 06/23/2014, 11:12 AM   #30
Led Bizkit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Hi Led Bizkit,

Yes, you can run two Vegas and two Hydra 52's on the same wireless controller. However, the intensity of each channel will be the same across all four lights. For example, if you set the white intensity at 50%, all four lights will be at 50%.

To be able to control the lights separately, you will need either two wireless controllers or the Director.
So with the director, then I don't need the wireless controller at all?

Thanks for your help

Led Bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2014, 11:21 AM   #31
MarineDepot
Sponsor

We're happy to help!

That is correct: with the Director, you will not need the wireless controller. All the lights will communicate directly with the Director.

Unread 07/20/2014, 01:07 PM   #32
johninthemiddle
Registered Member

Hi I currently have a Red Sea Max 250 (38"x21"x26") and I am wanting to upgrade to LED lights. I have been looking at the AI Hydra's and was wondering how many units you would recommend for that size of tank?

Also would it be possible to use the same number Hydro 26 units to get a greater spectrum of light or would the Hydro 52 be an better option?

johninthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2014, 10:16 AM   #33
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi John, If you are removing the RedSea hood and will be hanging the Hydra 26, two fixtures should work very well.

The 52's should not be necessary unless you are wanting to keep an all-out SPS tank and get as much intensity as possible for all the SPS corals.

Unread 07/22/2014, 02:19 PM   #34
MarineDepot
Sponsor

We've received a bunch of emails and calls from hobbyists interested in getting PAR values for the Hydra TwentySix, so we reached out to AI and they sent us these charts to share with you guys and gals.

If you’re still not sure if the Hydra TwentySix is right for you, reply with some basic details about your tank and its inhabitants and we’d be happy to let you know.

If you're already running an Aqua Illumination Hydra TwentySix over your reef aquarium, please post a photo and let us (and other forum members) know how you like it!

Last edited by MarineDepot; 07/22/2014 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 07/27/2014, 12:42 AM   #35
Filipefil
Registered Member

Hi, I just bought a tank (80"x24"x24") it will have SPS and LPS.
I would like to know what should I use (hydra, 26 ou 52), how many of then and best position?
Do you ship to Brazil?

Thanks for your help.

Filipefil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 02:08 PM   #36
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Filipefil,

Congratulations on your new aquarium! We would recommend either 4 Hydra 26's or 3 Hydra 52's. The 3 Hydra 52's would give you more total power; which would be great for SPS corals, but will be slightly more expensive.

Unfortunately, we are unable to ship to Brazil at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Unread 08/22/2014, 05:05 PM   #37
timelam
Registered Member

I have a 150 gallon (72") mixed reef tank and I am currently running 3 - 150W HQI with supplemental 4- 96W PC bulbs.

I am looking to upgrade my lighting. Thinking of running 3 - 26's. Would you recommend it or something else?

timelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 09:42 AM   #38
jlylec
Registered Member

Thanks for the great write up and info! It looks like you recommend 2 hydra52s over a 48" tank. Mine is a 150H so it's 48" long and 31" deep. Would you still recommend 2 for mostly SPS or is 3 safer? I have 3 AI Sol Blues over it now.

Is there any advantage to using the AI Director for control over an Apex with the AWM module?

Can I still run my AI Sol Blues over my QT tanks with the Apex controlling both the Hydra52s and the Sols? Separately or together?

Thanks in advance!

jlylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 10:33 AM   #39
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi timelam,

If the aquarium is a mixed-reef, three Hydra 26's should work nicely. If it is an SPS dominated tank, then we should recommend going with three 52's for the extra power.

Hi jlylec,

The 52's are significantly higher in wattage and output than the Sol's (135W vs 75W). Two should be plenty for your aquarium.

We would recommend going with the AWM if you already have the Apex. The only feature I can think of on the Director that is not on the Apex is regional weather simulation. Everything else is the same or similar.

Yes, you can run both your SOL and the 52's on your Apex. The Sol's will be controller through your VDM module and connected with the necessary cables. The 52's will be connected wireless through the AWM. The control portion will be separate.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Unread 08/25/2014, 10:55 AM   #40
jlylec
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi jlylec,

The 52's are significantly higher in wattage and output than the Sol's (135W vs 75W). Two should be plenty for your aquarium.

We would recommend going with the AWM if you already have the Apex. The only feature I can think of on the Director that is not on the Apex is regional weather simulation. Everything else is the same or similar.

Yes, you can run both your SOL and the 52's on your Apex. The Sol's will be controller through your VDM module and connected with the necessary cables. The 52's will be connected wireless through the AWM. The control portion will be separate.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
awesome thanks! Just placed my order for 2 and the AWM. Can't wait to check them out!

Unread 08/25/2014, 11:03 AM   #41
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Aqua Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlylec View Post
awesome thanks! Just placed my order for 2 and the AWM. Can't wait to check them out!
That is wonderful news! We'd love to hear how setup and installation goes and overall just how you like everything. Be sure to follow up and share your experiences with us! And to share photos, of course!

Unread 09/01/2014, 01:37 AM   #42
Wills612
Registered Member

Anyone know how far away the wireless controller can be from the vega?

Wills612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 12:44 PM   #43
jlylec
Registered Member

Quote:
That is wonderful news! We'd love to hear how setup and installation goes and overall just how you like everything. Be sure to follow up and share your experiences with us! And to share photos, of course!
Everything came well packaged this week and I finally got around to swapping the Sol Blues out with the new Hydra52s last night. Install was pretty easy. I delayed only because I wasn't sure how easy it would be to swap out all my code in the Apex from the Sols to the Hydras. I had so many profiles and outlets set up from 3yrs ago with the Sols. MUCH easier to program the Hydras now with Apex Fusion! That said I have them up and working, but not necessarily dialed in appropriately. I copied somebody else's combos of colors off a Hydra52 settings thread and then set the intensity to only 60% for now to acclimate. I had browned out my corals with the Sols so I figure I need to start real slow and low with these.

I went with 2 hydras, but I'm afraid I may need one more because of my aquascape with two pillars. Basically the lights are right above the two pillars and probably creating too much shadowing on the outside edges. I have them mounted as high as I could with the AI rails. I may see about cinching them even higher somehow to avoid buying a third.

I am using the Sun commands with the Season Table. Not sure if I'm going to keep this as I had to set a 3hr offset and it's still not enough. Plus I can't use the new Fusion wizard that looks really cool. What are the opinions out there for which is better? Season table or Fusion wizard?

A couple pics. First is from the back showing set up. Second is from display side. Pardon the mess of a tank and poor phone cam quality! I need to rearrange everything and get rid of some extra corals I have too much of.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3105.jpg (44.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3107.jpg (59.8 KB, 482 views)
Unread 09/02/2014, 08:37 AM   #44
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Tanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlylec View Post
A couple pics.
Your tank looks amazing!

Unread 09/09/2014, 11:17 AM   #45
tangers
Registered Member

Hi, I have a 135 gallon corner tank.. Much the same as the standard 56 and 92 just bigger. From the back corner to each side is 36". From the very left corner to the very tight corner is 49", and from the front of the overflow to the front of the tank is 26". The tank is also 30" deep. I am looking at full mixed reef and am wondering if I need two hydra 52s, or possibly two 26s or one 52? Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 135 gallon corner. 3x kessil a360we's, gyre xf150, custom "L" shaped sump, all on apex
tangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 11:30 AM   #46
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Corner tanks are a little trickier to light. Due to the size, dimensions and depth, we would recommend two Hydra 52's. You will need to suspend them a bit higher (I would estimate 12"-15") and play around with the positioning/angling to get the best coverage.

Unread 09/10/2014, 03:47 PM   #47
dpstrand
Registered Member

Hi MarineDepot!

I am setting up a 36x36x22 tank, will be mostly LPS with a handful of SPS, and it will sit in a corner with the overflow in the corner. The cube shape seems a little tricky to light without leaving the outmost corner dark. Is there any single fixture I could get away with? I was debating 2 or 3 of the smaller fixtures like the kessil or hydra 26. Any ideas?

Thank you!

dpstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2014, 05:02 PM   #48
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi dpstrand,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, a single fixture will not fully cover 36" x 36" in our experience. If you don't the tank being darker around the parameter and placing your corals accordingly, it may be okay.

As you noted, 2 or 3 of the smaller fixtures would indeed be the better option. Both Kessil A360WE's and Hydra 26's are excellent choices. You can start out with two fixtures and play around with the placement, then decide if you need/want the third.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Unread 09/17/2014, 01:10 AM   #49
kurfer
Moved On

Hello, I currently have a 48x30x24 tank on order to upgrade my old 75G.

I have 2 AI vega colors now, looking at the Hydra 52...how many would you recommend I get for the 48x30x24? Would it be worth mixing them with my vega's or just going with all Hydra 52's? I currently use an AI director. Thinking about selling my Vega's and just getting all new 52s but not sure how many I need.

kurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 11:13 AM   #50
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Kurfer,

Thanks for your inquiry. Two Hydra Fifty-Two's would work very well for a 48x30x24: great dimensions BTW. You will want to orient the lights perpendicular to the front of the tank and have them about 12" above the tank to get the best coverage.

We would recommending selling your two Vega's and upgrading to two Hydra Fifty-Two's. This way, you will get better coverage on the entire tank, more output and more-even color-blending.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Tags
ai hydra, aqua illumination, fiftytwo, hydra fiftytwo, marine depot