Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2010, 04:26 PM   #1
tess&ellie
Registered Member

clownfish have black dots picture attached does anyone know about this

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1262989524

Attached Images
File Type: jpg violets dogs fish 017.jpg (41.4 KB, 132 views)
tess&ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 06:06 PM   #2
cateyes
Registered Member

mine developed the same thing. turns out they were being stung by the palys they were hosting... no worries, it does them no harm and will go away...

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon mixed reef, 35ish gallon RBTA tank..
cateyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 10:17 AM   #3
mjk0301
Registered Member

Off topic but that is a pretty cool pic, i wish it was clearer, showing the reflections

mjk0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 01:27 PM   #4
romsoccer12
Registered Member

if they arent hosting anything, could be black ich. be careful and keep notice for any bad effects

Current Tank Info: 3rd tank working fine!(29gal oceanic biocube) 5-6months old
romsoccer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 10:36 AM   #5
cdsheid
Registered Member

Black ich

If its black ich get gallon of bottle water at room temp and get formulant dip. works real well. Follow directions on bottle when adding it in to water drop fish out of tank straight into the fresh water with formulant dip. Your fish will look like their dying turn upside down and lay their tap the bottle and they will move but leave them alone as they already are stressed leave in 5 to 10 minutes. take out and drop back in tank. should work pretty well. I just did this to my clowns with black spots yesterday the 10th. They survived.

cdsheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 02:52 PM   #6
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateyes View Post
mine developed the same thing. turns out they were being stung by the palys they were hosting... no worries, it does them no harm and will go away...
I concur... cnidarian stings.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
WDLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 05:12 PM   #7
tess&ellie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsheid View Post
If its black ich get gallon of bottle water at room temp and get formulant dip. works real well. Follow directions on bottle when adding it in to water drop fish out of tank straight into the fresh water with formulant dip. Your fish will look like their dying turn upside down and lay their tap the bottle and they will move but leave them alone as they already are stressed leave in 5 to 10 minutes. take out and drop back in tank. should work pretty well. I just did this to my clowns with black spots yesterday the 10th. They survived.
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out I am watching them they both are doing fine, eating swiming about but i will get some formulant dip tomorrow and take your advice.

Thanks again

tess&ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 09:01 PM   #8
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

After a closer look at the pic you provided I still think you have cnidarian stings but I think there's something else white on those clowns. Particularly on the bellies of those two fish. I'm inclined to say possible brook or amyloodinium but it's hard to say without a better closeup. Either way I would get them treated immediately.

I would not recommend doing a freshwater dip as it was suggested. Your fish should NEVER look as though they're dieing as a result of a treatment. What was described is typical of fish that have undergone thermal shock. To prevent this, the water should be the same temperature as the system they're currently residing in. If you use distilled water, you shouldn't. It may have extremely low dissolved oxygen content as may other bottled waters. Low oxygen may also help explain why the fish look like they're dieing.
Formalin further depletes oxygen levels.
Cold water and low oxygen does nothing additional to the pathogen and dramatically increases your chances of losing your fish during the process.

While FW dips are commonly used and accepted as a form of treatment for various maladies, I do not do FW dips myself. Instead, I generally go with a month in 1.009 SG. This is known as hypo-salinity or osmotic shock therapy. I use hypo frequently as a precautionary measure during quarrantine.

In your case I would get them in hypo immediately then sit down and get an accurate ID on their disease and the proper medications for treatment. Coppersafe and Formalin III are two meds I have come to appreciate as they treat most diseases that are quick clown killers. When treating with Formalin III or any other formalin product, make sure it is fresh. If it has been opened and allowed to sit around it can precipitate and become toxic.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
WDLV is offline   Reply With Quote