Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2014, 09:32 PM   #1
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

My 55g reef build.

Hello Reef Central.

Just registered after lurking on and off for years as i dreamed about having a reef tank.

My tank is currently 1 week into cycling.

I have a couple hitchhikers on my live rock, which is pretty exciting for a new reefer like myself.

I believe i have ID'd them, but just want confirmation.

Ill post a full tank shot once i have all my rock work done and my LED lighting arrives later this week.

Sorry for the low quality pics. Im no photographer, and curently only have a compact flouresent bulb over the tank just to view until my LED's arrive.

This is going to be a KISS tank as far as mechanics go. HOB refugium, and HOB protein skimmer will be added (as soon as i decide what models).

anyways ill share more details on the tank once i get all the equipment in and running.

Here are the hitchhikers.

This looks like a bristle worm to me? i have seen about 4 of these so far.

And this coral appears to be a sort of star polyp? But im not sure. The base is a pink, and the little heads are white in color. Each head has slowly opened over the last two days.

I also had a couple of snails and a yellow tip hermit hitch a ride in.

Thanks RC!

JoeVandal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 09:09 AM   #2
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Im 99% sure the worm is a bristleworm.

But the Coral im not certain, i think its a star polyp, but any confirmation would be awesome.

Thanks RC!

Unread 05/07/2014, 01:01 PM   #3
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Ok, it appears i have my ID's correct.

Question-
I have heard some horror stories about star polys taking over. Im considering breaking the chunk off the rock this is attached to and fragging it right now to control the size and position it stays in the tank. Would this be a good idea or should i let it be?

Unread 05/07/2014, 01:29 PM   #4
NWoods
Registered Member

Yup, the worm is a bristle worm. I had one as a hitch-hiker in my live rock. They'll multiply pretty quickly. Just be sure to wear gloves while handling the rock.

NWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 12:36 AM   #5
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

This Crab came on a Orange/green Zoa colony i picked up.

Any ideas? he seems to be harmelss so far. He seems to hang on the rock at the base of the zoa colony eating algae. He is covered in coraline and algae growth, but below the growth seems to be a light blue color.

The Zoas are closed because i had just put them in the tank. They all opened up within a couple hours of sticking them in the tank.

Sorry for the low quality pics.

Unread 05/11/2014, 09:26 PM   #6
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Here are some better pics.

Unread 05/11/2014, 09:32 PM   #7
alb_56
Registered Member

emerald crab, hes your friend

alb_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Tflow256
Registered Member

+1 emerald.

Tflow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 11:41 PM   #9
SaltyTony
Registered Member

Not to be a bearer of bad news but since your tank is still cycling, the cycling process will likely kill the hitch hikers.

SaltyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 11:43 PM   #10
mjr1
Registered Member

is that corralling algae on the emerald? I've never seen that before.

mjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 12:48 AM   #11
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr1 View Post
is that corralling algae on the emerald? I've never seen that before.
yes, it has coraline algae growing on it. He is pretty rad looking.

Unread 05/12/2014, 06:26 PM   #12
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Hey RC.

Question about my cycle.

Info regarding my cycle- Using an API test kit, expires 2018. Purchased all fully cured live rock from LFS. Live rock had been cured for at least 4 months prior to my purchase, most of it had probably been cured for 6+months.

I used 40 pounds dry sand, and 20 pounds CaribSea sand.

So my Amonia levels peaked at about .50 ppm and maintained that level for about 4 days. This weekend it began its decline and seems to have almost bottomed out to 0 today.

I have had nitrite readings of 0ppm the entire cycle thus far.

My Nitrate level is now at 5.0 ppm.

Does this seem par for the course with a fully cured live rock cycle?

I have Diotoms growing like crazy for the last 4 days or so, slowly engulfing my entire sandbed.

All hitchhikers that came on the live rock seem fine.

I was just really confused by not seeing any nitrite spike at all. Im also wondering if its time to start putting in some CUC with the diotom bloom.

Thanks for any advice RC. You guys are great.

Unread 05/12/2014, 06:46 PM   #13
MinnFish
Registered Member

You might have missed your nitrite spike and decline. Too soon to add any livestock. I would ghost feed for a week or so. And check your parameters regularly while ghost feeding. Good luck and happy reefkeeping.

Unread 05/12/2014, 08:20 PM   #14
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnFish View Post
You might have missed your nitrite spike and decline. Too soon to add any livestock. I would ghost feed for a week or so. And check your parameters regularly while ghost feeding. Good luck and happy reefkeeping.
How quickly would it spike and decline? I have been testing every other day and nitrites have remained 0. I was just testing for Amonia and Nitrites though. Amonia has fluctuated up and down, but stayed pretty steadily between .25 and .5 ppm. When i saw the amonia decline drastically i decided i should test for nitrates and they tested at 5.0 ppm.

Unread 05/12/2014, 09:39 PM   #15
stingeragent
Registered Member

I had a similar cycle as yours or a lack there of rather. Im a noob but I wouldnt ghost feed. Id just let it ride for a couple weeks.

stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 10:16 PM   #16
SaltyTony
Registered Member

If you do not ghost feed, you are giving nothing for that bacteria to break down and they will not increase in population which is needed for when you add livestock. The diatoms will come and go so just rude it out.

SaltyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 10:20 PM   #17
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTony View Post
If you do not ghost feed, you are giving nothing for that bacteria to break down and they will not increase in population which is needed for when you add livestock. The diatoms will come and go so just rude it out.
I ghost fed for the first week, a small pinch daily of flakes, and then stopped. How long should ghost feeding be continued?

Unread 05/12/2014, 10:51 PM   #18
MinnFish
Registered Member

Try elevating your ammonia to 3 ppm (either by adding a raw shrimp or pure ammonia). Pull shrimp or stop dosing ammonia. If, after 24 hours there are no ammonia or nitrites. Then, you are cycled.

Unread 05/12/2014, 11:24 PM   #19
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnFish View Post
Try elevating your ammonia to 3 ppm (either by adding a raw shrimp or pure ammonia). Pull shrimp or stop dosing ammonia. If, after 24 hours there are no ammonia or nitrites. Then, you are cycled.
thanks for the advice minnfish! Thanks everyone else as well. If anyone has anything else additional to add please do.

Last edited by JoeVandal49; 05/12/2014 at 11:40 PM.
Unread 05/21/2014, 08:06 PM   #20
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

So with my tank cycled levels stable and first fish added, i decided to share a few pics.

I settled on this two island aquascape. not perfect, but im happy with it for my first aquarium setup.

Had crazy amount of diotom growth for about a week, and now its starting to go away, or atleast seems to be. Have some algae growth as well, but the hermits, emerald, and tail spot blenny all seem to be grazing non stop and seem to be putting a dent into it, or atleast keeping it in check some what.

Im planning on adding another powerhead this weekend. Also going to be adding a hand on back refugium, and also a HOB protein skimmer. Any suggestions for a quality, but affordable skimmer for a 55g? I know those things dont necessarily come together, but im planning on searching for used, or just keeping an eye out for a deal. still also need to add a background. Im planning on keeping this first setup as basic as possible being my first ever aquarium period. No fresh water experience or anything either, although i have built several Vivariums for dart frogs in the past(not even remotely the same).

On to the pics.

Full tank shot.

left island

right island

I fragged the hitchhiker star polips off a piece of main rock. The polips themselves seem to be growing slowly.

My tailspot blenny. He is usually grazing, but didnt seem to like me taking pics so he retreated to his hole.

my zoa colony. I beleive they are bam bams, but who knows... i gave up trying to ID zoas. they look good as is in pic, but They looks rad under the blues and moonlight leds.

I do have a question for anyone that may have an answer. The zoa colony also has some polyps that look t\like the oranges on the outside, but have green centers. you can see a couple in these pics, but there are even more on the backside. Is this two different colonies, or what is going on with the two different color centers? Curious for any answers.

Not planning on adding any more livestock for a month or so to make sure everything stays where it should be. Might add another zoa colony in a couple weeks. Just wanted to share some of my journey.

Thanks for looking!

Unread 05/21/2014, 08:32 PM   #21
Bent
I got nothin'

Nice!

If I could suggest maybe get some black vinyl wrap off eBay and cover the back of the tank to hide the wires. Especially with that kind of minimalistic aquascape.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2014, 08:45 PM   #22
JoeVandal49
Registered Member

Thanks Bent!

I do intend on adding a background, just havent gotten around to it yet.

Would you suggest black or dark blue?

Unread 05/22/2014, 06:52 AM   #23
Bent
I got nothin'

I tend to like black, but it's whatever you like. Your the one that has to look at it.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2014, 07:39 AM   #24
Pigpen17
Registered Member

Buy some colored paper from an art store for color testing and give them all a shot. Light blue, dk blue or black all look good. Then you'll be sure of what background to get.

56g Column |Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer |Reef Breeders Photon 24 LED |850gph Koralia (X2) | Maxspect Gyre XF130
Pigpen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2014, 08:12 AM   #25
sponger0
Registered Member

Yes those are bam bams. The color change is what is called color morphing. Happens alot with zoas.

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote