Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2004, 12:22 PM   #1
joekr
Registered Member

black spots on clowns, not black ich or a disease, just some information..

I have this post on upstate reef society's forum area and Gary Majchrzak thought that it would be good info to share (and I thought so to):

My two clowns have black spots on them and I am curious if it is an issue. I understand that if it is black spot disease that it is not nearly as bad as ich, but these black spots do not look like any type of parasite, but rather a color change occuring on the fish.This was a gradual change and appears to be continuing..Both clowns appear healthy and happy while eating like horses!! Any opinions valued! Thanks!

Here is a picture and here is the determination as to what is taking place w/ my clowns.

One of the members from reefs.org gave me an answer and then I followed up on the answer at wetwebmedia.com. here is his response:

It's called melanism, it can be a perfectly normal event in Clownfish.

Regards,
David Mohr

and here is the info from wetwebmedia:

Dark Spots on Clownfish
hello
I have a question on my perc clown fish. I have had him for 3 years and now he is getting black spots on him. his nose looks a little red also, I am very worried. I haven't any other fish in the past year except for 6 peppermint shrimp. my alkalinity is 10 .no ammonia or anything else in the water. I have herd a little about black spot disease in yellow tangs but I don't have any in my tank. I am very worried, can you help me?
www.wetwebmedia.com site (and see pix there too)... This organism would have to "come in" most likely on a Zebrasoma... and Clowns are very unlikely possible hosts... So "what is it"? Likely nervous expression (melanism) resultant from "environmental stress"... cumulative chemical/physical challenges, perhaps nutritional deficiencies... I would do the standard testing of your water for what you can, add some live rock, supplement/alter the foodstuffs you generally offer... And take heart in realizing that Clownfishes do "get spots" sort of like "age spots" in humans with age...
Bob Fenner>

Here is the link to the priginal thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=465916

Hope this information helps someone else out there.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef
joekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2004, 12:38 PM   #2
morris2
Registered Member

Black Spots

Hey all,

We have a thread over in the reef club section and I wanted to get your opinion. I have a maiting pair of true percs that have hosted in a sebae for two years. Several days ago black spots have started to appear on the fish. They spots are not growths, more of a discoloration of their skin. They seem healthy, they are eating well. No changes to the tank. Here is a pic:

The fish both have turned darker over time (Melanism) but never by spots. Usually just an expansion of their black bands.

Thoughts?

morris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2004, 12:45 PM   #3
morris2
Registered Member

I just noticed that joekr, (another member participating in our thread posted the same question), go to his thread to continue the discussion. He has a pic of his clowns with the same spots.

Unread 11/09/2004, 02:57 PM   #4
morris2
Registered Member

I was participating in the thread in the upstate reef forum. My clowns have expierenced the same spots:

I would like to hear from anyone else that has had their clowns exhibit these spots. Did it affect the fish? Did it go away? I have had my clowns for 2 yrs.

I don't believe the spots are melanism. My fish have darkened over the years but it has been a slow expansion of their black bands, which this is not.

I also question the age issue as joekr's are only 7-8 mos.

It may be nothing but I am interested in others opinions.

Unread 11/09/2004, 04:50 PM   #5
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Non raised black spots are frequently seen on clownfish that decide to host in certain anemones, soft corals, hard corals, mushrooms, ricordia, etc. These do not appear to be anything other then a "tan". If you wander through my lousy picture gallery(current avatar as well), there is a black chrysopterus whose orange face went almost black while hosting in an S. haddoni. Now that she has moved back to a H. crispa the orange is returning.

They are also a common occurence when clowns are establishing pairs, hence scars. These appear to be non-threatening as long as they don't become infected.

There are other maladies which may appear as black spoting but in clowns the above two are most frequent.

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2004, 09:17 PM   #6
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Forgive the potential confusion, I merged the two threads ;>)

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2004, 02:10 PM   #7
oceanarus
Registered Member

I have also seen that zoanthids will cause the same sort of black splotches on clowns when they try to host in them.

Unread 11/11/2004, 03:44 PM   #8
ernordstrom
Registered Member

My Tomato clown used to host in my Blue Ricordia's. My wife watched him get "stung" numerous times and flee in a hurry, she said it was kind of amusing. He developed those spots after a while and has since stopped hosting in my Ric's. I guess he learned his lesson. I just picked up a beautiful RBTA and he has shown a little interest in it although he hasn't yet made the plunge. Still has the black spots and still looks healthy so I am not concerned.

ernordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2004, 01:31 AM   #9
Russel
Registered Member

Thanks for the info... I just had a perc that these spots arose on after it started hosting with a bubble tip.

Current Tank Info: 75gal
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2004, 10:52 AM   #10
ErikD
Registered Member

My single ocellaris just came up with these spots, seemingly overnight. She is about a year old and has never hosted in anything. Has anyone learned anything else about this?

thanks

Erik

Thank You - Gen 1:20-21
ErikD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2004, 03:17 PM   #11
joekr
Registered Member

I personally believe the spots to be my clowns messing around in some zoos I have in my tank. I have diversified their diet and the spots still remain. I was just at my LFS last night and one of the clowns in his display tank had the exact same spots as mine.

Both my fish seem healthy, happy and they eat like horses. I believe the spots to be from something they are rubbing against or trying to host. If anything should change in their health or behavior, I will update this thread....

In answer to your question, I don't believe anyone has come up with any new info. Sorry I can't answer your question better and I wish I knew an answer for sure....

Unread 12/19/2004, 09:10 AM   #12
joekr
Registered Member

well, it' update time if anyone is interested. I've made some more changes and the spots are actually receding (particularly on the larger clown). Here's what has changed:

1. increased feeding - I'm feeding prime reef and formula one now. my clowns seem hungry all the time and so I feed 2-3 times a day, but slightly smaller portions.

2. to compensate the extra feeding I bought a more efficient skimmer. I was using a berlin airlift 90 and upgraded to a aquac remora w/ a maxijet 1200 (awesome skimmer for the money)

3. I've been putting a little selcon in the tank about once a week.

Both clowns are still very active and hungry. They seem happy and the tank is thriving, especially since the new skimmer was introduced. Hope this helps someone else out there...

Unread 01/03/2005, 01:43 PM   #13
joekr
Registered Member

even further update...spots are almost gone. got some cyclopeeze (SP?) and have also introduced garlic semi-regularly. Clowns still seem healthy and happy!

I'm really beginning to think that something was lacking in these guys diet...

Unread 01/03/2005, 07:02 PM   #14
impur
Registered Member

My clown also has these spots. They have become very noticable in the last week. She even has a mustache now because of whatever is causing this. She hosts in a frogspawn and lately has been much more active in the coral. I will get you guys a pic tonight, its worse than the above pics. But she acts the same as always, eats readily, always excited when somebody comes to the tank etc...

Current Tank Info: 75gal, 20gal sump, 6-54w T5 TEK
impur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2005, 07:49 PM   #15
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Well damn!

I'll jump in and say I am having the same issue with my female perc.
Is it just me or does this seem (from majority posters here) that all these fish are either A.Percula or A.Ocellaris?

Unread 01/03/2005, 10:37 PM   #16
joekr
Registered Member

just one quick question for everyone following this thread. Are all these fish tank bred or are some of them from the ocean? Mine were tank raised here in upstate NY...

Just trying to find something in common....

Unread 01/04/2005, 09:05 AM   #17
Jenfur427
Registered Member

Here you can see my black spots on my fish on the bottom. She has black spots on her fins and underbelly. She came with them on her. She was tank raised.

Jenfur427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2005, 09:46 AM   #18
Shoestring Reefer
Registered Member

Freckled Clowns

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, but I've seen spotted clowns referred to as "freckled". Someone in my club bought some freckled clowns a while ago.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!

Current Tank Info: 2, 20-gal low tech tanks
Shoestring Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2005, 05:22 PM   #19
morris2
Registered Member

Update on my percs. The spots are still there but are starting to fade a bit. My percs were obtained from different sources. Both seem to be ocean raised. They statred to get their spots at the same time so I am guessing it is tank related.

Unread 01/04/2005, 10:23 PM   #20
impur
Registered Member

Here are a few pics of my perc. The spots are a bit worse than the pics above i think. Even the fishes lips are black now, this all happened pretty fast, within the last 2 weeks. But she still acts normal, and still eats like a pig.

Unread 02/25/2005, 08:51 PM   #21
ykh
Registered Member

I've noticed that my clowns which also host in the frogspawn have more and more dark spots over time. I didn't see them having the spots when I got them.

I also have lots of zoos in my tank. I personally believe that it's the frogspawn/zoo causing the dark spots. They are very healthy and active as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by impur
Here are a few pics of my perc. The spots are a bit worse than the pics above i think. Even the fishes lips are black now, this all happened pretty fast, within the last 2 weeks. But she still acts normal, and still eats like a pig.

ykh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2005, 02:42 PM   #22
Shoestring Reefer
Registered Member

One of my clowns has developed a couple of dark spots. I have no anemones or frogspawn, they don't host in anything. I have some zoos, but not many in my 125.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!

Current Tank Info: 2, 20-gal low tech tanks
Shoestring Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2005, 03:14 PM   #23
morris2
Registered Member

The spots on my percs, pictured above, have all faded and are gone. I have no idea why they came or why they went away. The good thing is that my percs never acted sick.

Unread 02/28/2005, 11:41 AM   #24
impur
Registered Member

My perc has lots the black on her face. The area behind the middle white stripe is now completely black on both sides. Looks like i have a half black and white perc/half orance and white. I even transfered the fish and its frogspawn to a new tank. No problems whatsoever with the fish, eats like crazy and healthy as can be. But still has the black areas. I'm not worried about it any longer as its been that way for about 4 months and i haven't seen a single problem stem from it.

Unread 06/08/2005, 07:05 PM   #25
Smo
Registered Member

Just wanna say a big "Thank You" for this thread.

My captive bred ocellaris had 1 spot, then 2, then within 5 days he had 5 of these blackish/purple spots. Then his girlfriend picked up a couple.
Knew it wasn't ich, but I wanted to know what to treat for.
After reading this thread I have relaxed quite a bit and found out why. Corals in my tank are: Branching Hammer, FrogSpawn, and a whole bunch of zoanthids and some palys too!
I haven't seen these guys near them, but who knows what they do while I'm at work?
BTW, the clowns are healthy, happy, spastic, and eating like a bunch of little piggies.

Thanks again for this informative thread.

Current Tank Info: 29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 130watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, RBTA(2), Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Ocellaris Clown |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote