Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2017, 09:27 PM   #1
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Smile Dev's JBJ 45 Build

Hi Guys. Starting a new build on the JBJ 45. Im new to reefing and wanted to share with the community and get some feedback.

Specs:
-JBJ 45 with stand
-Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer
-Innovative Marine mid size reactor for carbon
-Kessil 360W
-Neotherm heater - 150W
-Tunze 3155 ATO
-InTank media basket and stock media basket
-Stock return pumps with IM spin stream
-BRS 4stage RODI unit
-Mp10 or Gyre 230 : Need some input
-Pukani Dry rock and sand (TBD)
-Apex or Reefkeeper Elite : Need some input

Dont have specific stocking plans at this point, but goal is mixed reef. Plan to do fish-less cycling for 6-8 weeks. Here is the current setup. Need your input on flow that i can control and which controller to add on.

I am leaning towards Mp10 and Apex, but if i need to add 2 Mp10 pumps i'd rather go for Gyre and I for the controller I can work with programing but I want to have seamless integration. If anyone has experience with Reef-keeper, i'd like to hear your thoughts.

I will keep adding pics and keep this thread alive. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

FishD@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2017, 09:38 PM   #2
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

https://goo.gl/photos/65DjhG4GqnHyzmtm6

Like to my JBJ build album

Unread 06/28/2017, 09:43 PM   #3
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

As you can see in the album, the cardboard serves for me to aquascape outside the tank and work with rule of thirds. I used to do this for freshwater Iwagumi setups. So i am going to continue that here as well.

Unread 06/28/2017, 09:45 PM   #4
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

My Skimmer, RODI unit, ATO are ordered. I will add detailed pics of each along with RODI and ATO setup in the next update.

Unread 06/29/2017, 05:37 PM   #5
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

And the packages have arrived.
RODI, ATO and Skimmer.
I will setup Skimmer today and upload pics of the Aquaaxx HOB 1.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/29/2017, 10:04 PM   #6
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Got the Skimmer in 2 days. I was skeptical about this Skimmer but the build quality is excellent. Pics cannot describe the quality. I hope it functions as good as it looks. The instructions are mediocre. Put it together in 15mins. I'm using it on the 2nd chamber for the intake and return is in the pump chamber. I may extend the inlet and return tube length so it's not splashing water. But by placing it the way I did, I have place for LOT OF media. More updates on RODI and Tunze ATO next.

Going to purchase Pukani dry rock this week. Should be scaping next week

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5213.jpg (44.7 KB, 77 views)
Unread 06/30/2017, 08:41 AM   #7
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

IMG_5217.jpgIMG_5218.JPGIMG_5219.JPGIMG_5220.jpg

The link to my google drive is flagged. I'm just adding the pics from that album. I show the reactor and heater. It sits flush in the 2nd chamber and as you see the stock media baskets are to one side.

From earlier post, the Skimmer as installed allows me to add the InTank media basket.

I plan to run Mechanical filtration in the stock media baskets and place a bag of Purigen below the stock baskets. Pond Matrix in the inTank media basket along with filter floss on the top. GFO in the reactor. All that along with Skimmer should be a good start.

Unread 07/01/2017, 07:08 AM   #8
dimasv
Registered Member

Looks really good!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unread 07/01/2017, 01:56 PM   #9
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimasv View Post
Looks really good!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you @dimasv

Unread 07/01/2017, 01:57 PM   #10
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

And the tank gets wet. Leak checking this weekend. So far so good.

Unread 07/07/2017, 11:58 PM   #11
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Few updates fellow reefers:

A. Tank has been running for the last one week. NO LEAKS and I'm running all the equipment just to get a feel for it and see if any issues exist. Need to play with the Skimmer.

B. "ROCK" has finally arrived. But I think there is an issue. I ordered 45# of Reef Saver from BRS but I think this is Pukani. So a lot more rock than I need. Nevertheless I could not wait but try my scape. I used 4-5 pcs and I have 4 more big pieces.

Give me your thoughts on the scape. I may play with making caves by chiseling thru the bottom rock etc. I will play a little more and then clean, glue a few pieces and pressure wash this. Hope to get this in the tank next week and start cycling.

Unread 07/08/2017, 05:01 AM   #12
FISHUNT-72
Registered Member

That definitely looks like Pukani rock. What are your plans for curing the rock? Do you plan on curing in the display?The Pukani contains a lot of dead matter,which in return will put off some bad odors. Here's a video to watch.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/...dry-live-rock/

FISHUNT-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 05:16 AM   #13
FISHUNT-72
Registered Member

I forgot to mention,Welcome to this wonderful/frustrating hobby. Good choice on all your equipment. I would also plan on ditching the double the return pumps & replace with a single Sicce,Eheim or Tunze. Did you decide on your choice of sand yet? I've always used Fiji pink & have been happy with it.

FISHUNT-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 01:47 PM   #14
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHUNT-72 View Post
I forgot to mention,Welcome to this wonderful/frustrating hobby. Good choice on all your equipment. I would also plan on ditching the double the return pumps & replace with a single Sicce,Eheim or Tunze. Did you decide on your choice of sand yet? I've always used Fiji pink & have been happy with it.

Thank you @FISHUNT-72. I was thinking between Fiji pink vs reef grade. But I'll go with Fiji pink. For the return I was going to upgrade during Labor Day or thanks giving sale. Looking for 900 Gph flow. For now I want to nail down on which flow maker to use. With reference to rock I emailed BRS and sent pics. I will follow up with a call on Monday. Let's see what they have to say.

But I was planing on cycling it in the tank for 6-8 weeks. Let's say till the cycle is complete and then do 100% water change. It will be Sep or so before I can get any livestock in this setup.

Unread 07/10/2017, 11:24 AM   #15
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

A big shoutout to the BRS customer service. They are shipping Reef saver today and I don't have to send this rock. My 3rd time with customer service for different issues and it's a 5 star experience all the time. More changing to the scape coming soon.

So here are the 3 scape work so far with Pukani. I am not satisfied yet. Let's see what Reef saver let's me do.

Unread 07/13/2017, 05:21 PM   #16
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update time:

BRS said hey we are also doing a prime day, so I ordered Kessil 360WE and got 50$ cash back. I'm going to use that for the test kits. Along with Kessil I ordered a lot of cable management, magnetic switches, LED etc for the cabinet. #Primeday

More importantly reef saver rock arrived. I tried to scape for sometime yesterday. These pieces are definitely heavier and smaller unlike the Pukani. I will break 1-2 into much smaller pieces to create overhang etc. Here are some pics at my first try. Will upload more over the weekend.

For comparison of what 45# of Pukani vs. Reef saver look like and scape like

Unread 07/13/2017, 10:34 PM   #17
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Installed lighting under the cabinet. Will attach magnetic switch tomorrow so they will switch ON when the doors are open. Lot more cable organizing todo. This is just the beginning.

Unread 07/16/2017, 11:24 PM   #18
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

After spending hours and hours and after multiple attempts this weekend, here is what I feel is my final aquascape with Reef saver rock. Lots of caves for swim thru. Arch for Coral placement and well within my 2inch gap between the glass and rock. I started glueing a few of them together. I will finish major glueing and start moving to the tank soon. Here are some pics. Let me know your thoughts.

Started with more swim space on the left

Wanted to fill the left side a little more as the tank is 19inches tall. I'm not going to glue these pieces so I can still have an option to remove later.

Top View. Arch in the middle

Side views

Unread 07/17/2017, 04:54 AM   #19
Mr06evo
Registered Member

Nice rock work! I glued mine and used some fiberglass rods just in case. I found them at lowes pretty cheap in case you want to use them also.

Mr06evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 01:47 PM   #20
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr06evo View Post
Nice rock work! I glued mine and used some fiberglass rods just in case. I found them at lowes pretty cheap in case you want to use them also.

Thank you for the suggestion Mr06evo.. I will use fiberglass for the top 2-3 rocks. Will get it today. It gives me flexibility to change.

Unread 07/17/2017, 11:49 PM   #21
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

So I made some mods again, cleaned the tank thoroughly and transferred my setup. ROCK is in the tank now. FINALLY.

Before transferring

After transfer. In the tank views

I'm still playing with the arch bridge placement. It's something I can move around. Next get sand and water in tank and start my cycling.

Unread 07/18/2017, 09:46 PM   #22
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

So I'm looking for suggestions, but This is what I'm thinking.

Cycle the tank without sand for 6 weeks, do 50% water change in the middle and 100% water change at the end of the cycle. Add Sand and let it run without livestock for 1 more week, check for all parameters and then add fish. I plan to add lights at around 4 weeks or so when the nitrates start to kick in, so I let the diatoms bloom and not touch the tank. Let them take care of themselves and then once it's all done and 100% water change is done I add sand and so I don't have to worry about algae on the sand. Does anyone have experience this way. Will this work??

Here is my FINAL setup. I glued major prices together and added 2 fiber glass rods to add stability. Pics shown without light and under hue light. Can't wait for the Kessil to add the shimmer and what not..

Unread 07/18/2017, 10:46 PM   #23
Devaji108
Registered Member

great job fish daddy! you can tell you had tanks before. I love the cardboard rule of 3rd.
I often just tape the tank.

I almost went for a jbj 45 2nd tank doing a seahorse build but I need a way over sized skimmer in a sump so that was out.

I like your scape! you should not have a long cycle with the reef saver. might want to consider a bottle bacteria like Dr. tims etc . I like it, gets all the good stuff growing, yes it will happen naturally anyway. just an idea .

keep us posted tagging along!

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 08:01 PM   #24
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
great job fish daddy! you can tell you had tanks before. I love the cardboard rule of 3rd.
I often just tape the tank.

I almost went for a jbj 45 2nd tank doing a seahorse build but I need a way over sized skimmer in a sump so that was out.

I like your scape! you should not have a long cycle with the reef saver. might want to consider a bottle bacteria like Dr. tims etc . I like it, gets all the good stuff growing, yes it will happen naturally anyway. just an idea .

keep us posted tagging along!

Thank you Devaji108...I ordered Dr. Tims Ammonia and bacteria from BRS today. Thank you for the suggestion. I will seed the bacteria and use that ammonia. I was going to use pure ammonia that I have from previous cycling of freshwater tanks. But with this reef tank setup I'd just spend that extra 3$ and follow their recommendations..

Unread 07/20/2017, 11:13 AM   #25
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update:
Started filling in RODI water into my 32gallon Brute cans. Small issue with the BRS unit. One of the valves is leaking. Contacted BRS and they are taking care of it.

So I'm sure many of us have gone thru this before. How much do i fill in the container to know if it's 5gallons or 10 gallons etc.
I'm going to post how much water volume at what height from the lip of the can. It's not perfect but it works. This will eliminate the guess work for water changes. I will try to add a tube on the side like a sight glass. This will tell me the exact level too. More to come.

Btw pics of the leak from my RODI unit. I just placed a bowl under it as I started to make my small batches. It will be fixed Ofcourse.

Tags
jbj 45, mixed reef, new build