Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2020, 04:48 PM   #1
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Sargassum Hiding

I have had a sargassum trigger for the past 7 yrs. it’s always been out and about the tank. Normally the boss of the tank. I haven’t introduced any new fish for more than a year. Closest fish in size are a Naso, Mimic and Blotched - there’s a couple of wrasses that r getting big. Last few weeks the trigger is locking itself in place and not moving at all. Not sure what’s causing. Tried to hand feed it, etc but won’t budge. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chitownpw; 10/15/2020 at 06:15 PM.
Chitownpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2020, 06:50 PM   #2
ssavader
Registered Member

That is sure sign of stress so I'd go through the typical list of fish stressors. Since each fish reacts differently to stress and/or has different tolerance limits, something effecting one fish may not bother another. So, I'd look at all your water parameters first just to be sure. Since Triggers "locking" themselves in place is a defense against being pulled into the jaws of an attacker, the next thing would be to take careful note of any of your other fish hovering around the Trigger's cave. Someone very likely has taken issue with the Trigger and has him/her frightened enough to keep them in hiding. Look at your most aggressive fish and work your way down. Also, since Sargassum Triggers are algae eaters, there may have been scurmishes with a tang over the algae at feeding time. Consider multiple feeding sites to give the 2 fish an opportunity to eat without encountering each other. Good luck.