Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/28/2020, 05:06 PM   #3976
chiefifd
Registered Member

I just got my LifeReef CLF2 Sump yesterday. I'll get it on-line in the next few weeks, I can't wait. Looks great by the way, my order got moved up a few weeks so very happy.

chiefifd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2020, 05:27 PM   #3977
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefifd View Post
Salahunreal, not sure about trying to "lift" water with the Skimmer outlet pressure. I've never heard of anyone doing that or asking about the possibility. You could try it, it's only a little extra "temporary" plumbing. A few pieces of tubing, a PVC fitting or two and see what happens. Might surprise yourself
LOL, I kinda felt it was a stupid question as in theory, the water will go higher than the water column inside the skimmer so properly it will overflow I guess.

Congras on your sump. I wished if I could get one but shipping and taxes will be twice the price of the sump.
Enjoy and share some pics later on when you can.

Salahunreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2020, 05:33 PM   #3978
chiefifd
Registered Member

No problem, I've asked plenty of dumb questions in my life. Your question I thought showed a lot of creativity.
Ya those sumps are pricy, shipping even here in the U.S. is expensive..... But what hobby is cheap.
Take care!

Unread 10/28/2020, 06:19 PM   #3979
FlyingFishSKYw
Registered Member

Thinking this through... do you think the head pressure pushing up and over a baffle could affect skimmer performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal, H2Overflow, LifeReef VS3-24 Skimmer, 2x Hydra 26, 30 gal diy sump, Apex
FlyingFishSKYw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2020, 06:29 PM   #3980
chiefifd
Registered Member

Well we don't know the height of the baffle. This seems to be a trial and error project to me. I've never heard of anyone trying to lift water vertically in any elevation from a Skimmer. A short term test wouldn't hurt anything other than a little time and some spare parts.

Unread 10/28/2020, 08:57 PM   #3981
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

I would guess the head pressure from the extra plumbing would be no different than having the gate valve on the skimmer mostly closed. It may happen that even with the gate valve all the way open, the water level in the skimmer is too high.

As chiefifd said, give it a try see what happens.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2020, 04:23 AM   #3982
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Water will seek it's own level, so the water level inside the skimmer will be at least equal to the highest point in your plumbing going over a baffle. Then add to that any "head pressure" caused by the pipes themselves.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2020, 03:44 AM   #3983
Salahunreal
Registered Member

baffle would be around 30 cm and adding pipe height so I will end up with 34-35 cm. I assume the water level inside the skimmer would go up to 35 cm and this is above what Jeff recommends for the skimmer around 23 cm.

Unread 10/30/2020, 06:45 AM   #3984
chiefifd
Registered Member

Give it a try, then you'll know if it works or not. You shouldn't need but a few PVC elbows and plastic tubing to achieve what you're trying to do.
Let us know if it works or what issues you ran into that prevented it from working.
Looking forward to a report.
Take care friend......

Unread 10/30/2020, 10:01 AM   #3985
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salahunreal View Post
baffle would be around 30 cm and adding pipe height so I will end up with 34-35 cm. I assume the water level inside the skimmer would go up to 35 cm and this is above what Jeff recommends for the skimmer around 23 cm.
If that’s the baffle height you’re working with, then build a 12 cm stand for the skimmer so that the you get the Jeff recommended internal water height of 23 cm when you add the extra plumbing. Just make sure the pump you’re using is strong enough to accommodate the extra head height.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2020, 01:43 PM   #3986
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefifd View Post
Give it a try, then you'll know if it works or not. You shouldn't need but a few PVC elbows and plastic tubing to achieve what you're trying to do.
Let us know if it works or what issues you ran into that prevented it from working.
Looking forward to a report.
Take care friend......
I will see. I have big plans but small space , I am trying all these tweaks only because I bought something a complete setup and after all the DIY and readings and so. I regret it now and wished if I built my own cabinet and ordered a custom built tank but anyway. Now my idea is to dump my 2nd sump that I bought 2nd hand and sell it and buy new one custom built so it will fit all, Still would try taking the skimmer outlet to the refuge baffle and I will report back how it will go.

Unread 10/30/2020, 01:48 PM   #3987
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
If that’s the baffle height you’re working with, then build a 12 cm stand for the skimmer so that the you get the Jeff recommended internal water height of 23 cm when you add the extra plumbing. Just make sure the pump you’re using is strong enough to accommodate the extra head height.
Thanks but
I have tried that also, but since the height inside the cabinet is only 61cm. Then I will not have an easy way to take the skimmer cup to empty/clean it without removing the stand first and will not be convenient. I am trying to plan everything to make it easy if possible.
The pump can handle the extra head pressure I guess. I added COR 20 for that skimmer.

Unread 10/30/2020, 02:26 PM   #3988
chiefifd
Registered Member

Thanks for getting back to us. I think we've all been there with trying to do with a DIY project that just doesn't work very well.
That's why I bought the LifeReef sump, my saving grace is I have my sump in my workshop directly behind my DT.
Good luck in your quest for perfection.......And Take care
Just wondering Salahunreal where about are you located????

Unread 10/30/2020, 02:45 PM   #3989
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Yeah the DIY in this hobby is endless. I have bought the tank like 3 years ago and have not started yet
I really really liked LR sump and how it can be CUSTOM BUILT from the ground up with all the functionalities like media reactors. LR skimmer would fit no matter what and so. I went to the last mile with Jeff and designed and calculated everything but shipping and taxes put me down. Nice you have all the space you need. Its very useful.
I am located in Stockholm in Sweden (Switzerland is a different country )

Unread 11/16/2020, 08:35 AM   #3990
Fdnavy
Registered Member

New lifereef owner couple of questions.

I just set up a used 24" model. I have a couple of questions. My skimmer compartment has a constant depth of 9.5 inches. I am running the skimmer with a jebao dcp10000 I’m having trouble figuring out what power level to run the skimmer. How much power is too much? I am also having problems seeing the bubble line to know if I’m setup correctly. Manual says set it to sticker. Does that mean top of bubbles should be that height? I plumbed in a co2 scrubber, but I am worried an accidental overflow will suck water through my brs c02 scrubber. How do you avoid this issue? I know the lifereef is less likely to overflow, but it can still happen. I have also noticed a fair amount of moisture collects in the line from the cup to the skimmer. How do I prevent that? Unfortunately I can’t mount my co2 scrubber so it sits higher than the skimmer, the cup outlet and scrubber are the same height.

Last edited by Fdnavy; 11/16/2020 at 08:55 AM.
Fdnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2020, 10:36 PM   #3991
Willy315
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdnavy View Post
I just set up a used 24" model. I have a couple of questions. My skimmer compartment has a constant depth of 9.5 inches. I am running the skimmer with a jebao dcp10000 I’m having trouble figuring out what power level to run the skimmer. How much power is too much? I am also having problems seeing the bubble line to know if I’m setup correctly. Manual says set it to sticker. Does that mean top of bubbles should be that height? I plumbed in a co2 scrubber, but I am worried an accidental overflow will suck water through my brs c02 scrubber. How do you avoid this issue? I know the lifereef is less likely to overflow, but it can still happen. I have also noticed a fair amount of moisture collects in the line from the cup to the skimmer. How do I prevent that? Unfortunately I can’t mount my co2 scrubber so it sits higher than the skimmer, the cup outlet and scrubber are the same height.
9.5" might be a bit too deep, you may have trouble adjusting the water level.

I wouold try the pump at 100% and see how it does, it should be fine. Jeff the owner/builder of these skimmers uses a mag18 on a 24.

Moisture in the venturi line is normal, it helps keep the venturi clear of salt creep.

Sorry but I can't help you with your scrubber question.

Current Tank Info: 180 Planet Aquariums, 3x 250 watt Phoenix, Lifereef 24" skimmer. 60 Cube Anemone Tank, Hydra 26HD
Willy315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2020, 01:06 PM   #3992
watdachuck
Registered Member

You will need to drain the BRS scrubbers every 3-4 days in my case. You cannot prevent the condensation from building up. You could leave a drain open is suppose but that might defeat the purpose of running it as a closed loop.

watdachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2020, 10:32 PM   #3993
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Anyone running a dc pump on their skimmer? Looking to get a svs3-30 and was looking to use a varios8 or a sicce syncra sdc9 pump. A lot of review mention the sicce pumps are noisy specially their dc ones where as the varios 8 is silent. Any one have any experience or recommendations?

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2020, 01:27 AM   #3994
FlyingFishSKYw
Registered Member

I’m running a Jebao DCT-8000 on my 24” skimmer at about 70% power. It’s super quiet and has been running without issue for over two years now.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal, H2Overflow, LifeReef VS3-24 Skimmer, 2x Hydra 26, 30 gal diy sump, Apex
FlyingFishSKYw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2020, 12:57 PM   #3995
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I had one of the Sicce pumps that was an energy saver. It ramps up & down & had a corresponding noise up & down. I would use the Varios.

Unread 11/28/2020, 06:06 PM   #3996
doonan75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFishSKYw View Post
I’m running a Jebao DCT-8000 on my 24” skimmer at about 70% power. It’s super quiet and has been running without issue for over two years now.

I have the DCP 8000 at 100 and it's completely silent and no issues.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

doonan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2020, 10:31 AM   #3997
watdachuck
Registered Member

Has anyone else seen the dual mazzei venturi option on LifeReef's website?!? Would really love to see this thing in action if anyone has one already.

http://www.lifereef.com/Dual%20Mazzei.JPG

Unread 12/29/2020, 01:26 PM   #3998
LQT
Registered Member

Wow, that looks sweet! Most likely a custom build by Jeff.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2020, 04:56 PM   #3999
chiefifd
Registered Member

One word "Sweet"!

Unread 12/30/2020, 04:20 PM   #4000
watdachuck
Registered Member

I'm obsessed with it!! I spoke to Jeff and he only made the two of them while making one for a custom build.

They are too big for my sump which makes me feel any one even more. LOL The cylinder is 10" wide and it stands 30" tall. With the outlet you need at least a 12" X 15" space and 3 feet in the cabinet.

Oh well, one more reason to get a bigger tank lol