Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2019, 03:54 AM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Trying out hyposalinity.. seems to be working

So my mom yellow tang was RIDDLED with ich recently.. like riddled.. wouldnt eat anymore it was so bad i thought it might be velvet.. but it had all fairly large white spots i just couldnt count them it was so many of them.

Ive been doing hyposalinity in a 5 gallon tank which is thr only spare tank i have atm just to see if this woukd work.. Its been only 48 hours and yesturday id say 50% of the spots were gone. He still had a good number on him though.. His breathing was close better no more like 2 breaths a second and he actually went over the seaweed i put in the tank he didnt eat alot vyt he was grazing on it for a fee minutes and eating the floating peices. Hopefully when the lights come on today itll look even better. I did a 50% water change last night becase of ammonia creeping up.

How long does it usually take before you notice all the spots off the fish and how long after that do you usually wait for hypo to do its job ?

Im seriously considering moving ny 55g cube to my 135g tank. But i too have ich in my tank and ive lost various dwarf angels and other fish to ich before. Could i just move my sand/rock to the 135. Let it go fallow for 72 days and keep my fish and hers in my 55g cube and let her tank go fallow for 72 days as well ? I really like this hypo thing maintaining 1.08 to 1.09 is really easy i was shocked how lottle salt it took to drop it that far down.

THE ONLY concern i have with this is this... all fish we currently have eat flakes pellets or mysis and nori... except one. My small yellow eye kole tang. He eat only whats on my rocks and the walls of my aquarium. So if i take my rocks out that leaves only my walls of my aquarium. Will the coraline die off with hyposalinity ? This fish is kinda the only thing keeping me from trying this.

The other option is litterally just moving tanks. Putting everyone and everything in the 135 and maintaining ich in 3x larger water volume and swimming room. Itll deff cut back on my green chromis being bastards to my larger fish.. so less stress. And with 6 feet to swim in itll be perfect for a no stress enviornment.

What do you guys think ? Ive managed ich for months in my 55g cube my foxface doesnt seem to get but maybe 2 or 3 spots. And the kole tang as long as he isnt stressed is the same way... So i figure bigger tank more water = less of a chance for a huge outbreak. I dunno what do you guys think because if i do hypo in the 55 and wait 72 days in the 135 im almost certain i csn eliminate ich if i do it right.. but then im also certain my kole tang will starve to death doing this.. its difficult to decide.

Thanks a bunch

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 05:47 PM   #2
NanoReefLovers
Registered Member

Do you have any corals, shrimp i.e. invertebrates in your system? If so they hypo selinity is not he answer for your main tank. That will kill inverabrates, this the reason it works on many parasites.

And God said, “Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures.”
Genesis 1:20a

Current Tank Info: 32g BioCube, Tunze 9001 skimmer, Icecap 1K power head, Steve’s LEDs
NanoReefLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 12:17 AM   #3
PCguy21
Registered Member.

I did it in a qt and im leaving the other tank empty.

I have a question its been 3 days now and the yellow tang while eating and breathingvbetter is still covered in ich.. salinity is 1.08 calibrated eith refracto juice from brs... Does this usually take this long to knock the cysts off ?

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 07:52 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

I'm not sure the trophants fall off any faster in hypo. While attached to the fish, they are pretty resistant to any treatment. I would give it a few more days.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote