Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2017, 08:38 PM   #1
vlangel
Registered Member

Is there a time limit on antibiotic treatment?

I have a pinto that I accidently scraped her neck with my feeding tube. She developed a skin infection but I did not catch it as soon as I should have because she is a black and white pinto. She has been in a HT and is responding to Triple sulfa but the area was fairly big where the erosion was. I think she has been in treatment for about a month and a half and I worry that treatment for that long could be harmful. I also worry if she is not fully cured that she will not respond later to treatment. What is a reasonable time period? It looks like the area has a thin layer of skin over it but with her being a pinto it is hard to be sure.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 08:52 PM   #2
nutbar29
Registered Member

One of my erectus got a burn from the heater and it got infected I used kanamycin (kanaplex) with focus to bond it to frozen mysis and it went away pretty fast in about 1 week but I gave her the medicine for 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutbar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 06:46 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

The reason I asked this question is that Ruth seems to be less alert and not as hungry acting as normal. I have read antibiotics can reduce a seahorse's appetite. For that reason I have decided to discontinue the treatment and just treat her in the hospital tank with daily clean salt water hoping that the healing she has thus far is progressed enough that she will continue on her own from here. Perhaps that is not the right thing to do but I fear if she stops eating the battle is lost anyway. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Unread 07/11/2017, 03:00 PM   #4
CritterHeaven
Registered Member

It always seems like keeping them eating is the most important thing. Is she doing any better?

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 07:06 AM   #5
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterHeaven View Post
It always seems like keeping them eating is the most important thing. Is she doing any better?
Yes, within a day and a half she perked up tremendously and her hearty appetite returned. I change 50 - 80% of her water everyday so that it is as clean and bacteria free as possible and of course syphon all uneatten food out. Her hospital tank is in the basement where it is cool so it is in the 68°F range. I have an amphipod culture plus my fuge also has pods and I harvest some regularly so she can hunt and experience some healthy stimulation. I looked at her neck with a magnifying glass and I think it is slowly growing new skin but the eroded area was extensive so its going to be a slow process but I am cautiously optimistic that she will recover.

Unread 07/13/2017, 04:49 PM   #6
CritterHeaven
Registered Member

Happy to hear that!

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote