Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2015, 04:35 PM   #176
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Bulent, I love those mature stag colonies. Your reef looks so old and natural.
I'm also liking those anthias.... Hm...
I'm curious about your experience and any knowledge you might have about KZ b-balance..
Thank you sir for your kind words.

I am already considering getting some more anthias to be honest. There were only four left yesterday. Otherwise, I would have bought two or three more.

My staghorns keep me on my toes due to their rapid growth rate. I love them too. At one point I was going to have all staghorns with small fishes (like blue eyed cardinals, but then changed my mind and wanted nicer and bigger fishes instead, hence the placement of slow growing sps species, such as Acropora lokani and granulosa, in the middle to give these fishes some free room to roam around.

I have four staghorns. Here is their brief history:

Acropora aspera (My very good friend Andy gave it to me as a small frag in April 2012).

Acropora copiosa (Again Andy gave it to me as a small frag in February 2013).

Acropora yongei (I cannot remember how I got this coral, but the earliest picture I can find was recorded in October 2011). This coral suffered from STN on many occasions. It was usually the first coral that exhibited STN symptoms. As a result, its growth has been badly affected. Fortunately, it has not had any STN for more than 20 months.

The youngest member of the staghorn family is Acropora gomezi. I bought it as a wild colony from my lfs in December 2013.

Sadly, it had STN in April 2014. I saved a small frag from the mother colony, which has been growing ever since.

You can see how much my other staghorns grew when the above was taken in April 2014.

As for KZ B-balance, I never used it. However, my readings on the Zeovit forum suggest that this product contains specific trace elements and heavy metals. It is comparable to Zeospur2 in that it has the ability to expel some zooxanthellate from corals as people reported that their corals looked slight "lighter" in coloration. G Alexander (ZEOadmin) on the zeovit forum says that "Both [B-balance and zeospur2) have a[n] impact to zoox reduction in a nutrient poor environment. B-Balance is doing this slowly over the time while Spur2 is doing this within several hours.". I hope this helps.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 06:35 AM   #177
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks for the cool history of your stags it's amazing what a few years growth will produce.. B balance... It sounds like a weaker version of spur..

I just posted a pic of this frag on my thread...it looks a lot like your gomezi.. What do you think?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 08:56 AM   #178
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I saw this frag's picture in your thread this morning. I am quite certain that it is a A. gomezi. Given strong indirect flow, it should develop very thick branches. It is not particularly fast grower though.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 09/28/2015, 11:18 AM   #179
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks, Bulent! It's got centre stage in my tank. Lots of light and flow..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 10/07/2015, 04:10 PM   #180
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

It is update time. There are three developments:

I went to my lfs this morning. I bought three more resplended anthias. I now have seven of them. They school nicely and swim together against the water current. They also congregate among the thick and dense branches of Acropora aspera. They eat eagerly. However, they seem to eat more eagerly if food offered is small, e.g. red plankton and cyclopeeze.

I also purchased 1 kg of Siporax (15 mm) and a fairly large sheet of egg create to build a box. 1 kg of Siporax equates to roughly 3 litres.

Finally, this afternoon a courier company delivered a package containing three Acropora frags, A. nana, A. bali shortcake and A. secale. As soon as I attach them to rocks, I will take some pictures. I did not actually see any picture of A. scale before purchasing it nor did I see it in person before ordering it. Its purchase is nothing more than a punt. On the other hand, A. bali shortcake is supposed to be nice. A. nana is an old timer, which should do well in my tank.

Cheers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070233.jpg (46.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg P1070239.jpg (87.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg P1070240.jpg (87.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg P1070252.jpg (104.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg P1070255.jpg (82.6 KB, 89 views)

Unread 10/07/2015, 04:58 PM   #181
M007
Acro Whore

Nice photos, do they always congregate around the stags?

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2015, 05:05 PM   #182
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
Nice photos, do they always congregate around the stags?
Thanks.

Yes, they do. They only congregate around A. aspera even though I have another very large staghorn coral. By doing that they do not cause any traffic congestion in the middle of my tank other than feeding time during which my tank gets a little bit chaotic.

Unread 10/07/2015, 05:12 PM   #183
reefmutt
Registered Member

I really like those anthias! What was the scientific name?
Can you sex them?
I'm going to look them up.
Can't wait to see those new corals in the tank, Bulent.

Unread 10/07/2015, 06:14 PM   #184
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I really like those anthias! What was the scientific name?
Can you sex them?
I'm going to look them up.
Can't wait to see those new corals in the tank, Bulent.
Their scientific name is Pseudanthias pulcherrimus. They belong to the subgenus Pseudantihas pseudanthias. Some of the known names in this sub-genus are bimaculatus, randalli and ventralis. For more reading on the Genus Pseudanthias please refers to Anthias Imposters! by H. C. Schultz III.

I cannot sex them. They are still quite small. I will be happy if they remain as they are because I love their deep pink colours. On a negative note according to @copps these fish are "jumpers". This reading has alarmed me quite a bit . This is now making sense to me because when I came home from my lfs, I found one of the new arrivals stuck in the plastic transport bag out of water. I have no idea how long it stayed out of water, but it seems OK now. The journey between my lfs and my house is about 45 minutes. If these fish start to jump out, I will be sitting on a big loss. I hate losing fish. It distresses me. I have never had jumpy anthias before. Watch this space ....

Unread 10/07/2015, 06:21 PM   #185
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Thanks.

Yes, they do. They only congregate around A. aspera even though I have another very large staghorn coral. By doing that they do not cause any traffic congestion in the middle of my tank other than feeding time during which my tank gets a little bit chaotic.
Traffic management in a reef tank, you have just taken reef keeping to a whole new level This my friends is is a topic for a new thread, just have no idea where to start it.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
Unread 10/07/2015, 06:43 PM   #186
jroovers
Registered Member

Those anthias in the stag is stunning, love the contrast between pink and green.

Curious on the idea to add the siporax... looks like things are good? Anything you are trying to accomplish specifically with your nutrient levels?

Unread 10/07/2015, 07:11 PM   #187
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
Those anthias in the stag is stunning, love the contrast between pink and green.

Curious on the idea to add the siporax... looks like things are good? Anything you are trying to accomplish specifically with your nutrient levels?
Thanks.

I am happy with the way things are at the moment and am not trying to manipulate nutrient levels as I do not chase specific numbers. I just observe how corals react to changes in different nutrient levels in the water column.

However, since I have recently increased the number of fishes significantly, it is inevitable that I will have to increase the amount of food that will go into the system. I suspect that sooner or later measurable nutrients will increase. This may or may not be good for coral growth and/or their coloration. I am going to wait and see first what will happen before I introduce additional surface area to encourage bacterial mass. I just want to be ready in case additional filtration is necessary.

Unread 10/07/2015, 07:56 PM   #188
pstank1
Registered Member

You might want to consider adding some of the siporax now. It's going to take a month or two for it to colonize to any significant degree. If you want until you see a nutrient spike, you're going to have to deal with it in other ways until the siporax starts to kick in.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2015, 09:03 AM   #189
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Bulent, I love the shot of the Anthias swimming among those huge branches.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2015, 10:34 AM   #190
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
You might want to consider adding some of the siporax now. It's going to take a month or two for it to colonize to any significant degree. If you want until you see a nutrient spike, you're going to have to deal with it in other ways until the siporax starts to kick in.
I will act on your guidance. Thanks.

Having looked at my sump space, I have realised that I might need some more siporax. So, I have asked my lfs to save me another kg of siporax (i.e. ~ 3lt). I will eventually be using approximately 6 lt of this media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Bulent, I love the shot of the Anthias swimming among those huge branches.
Thank you Sahin. How are your anthias doing?

I did some pruning of my staghorns last week to raise some funds for the purchase of the second batch of anthias and other dry goods (e.g. siporax). I tried to cut a very thick branch of the A. aspera colony with the tool shown in the attachment without any success. To avoid any damage to adjacent corals, I will have to take the entire colony and use a hacksaw in the future.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fragging tool.jpg (4.8 KB, 38 views)

Unread 10/08/2015, 10:52 AM   #191
pstank1
Registered Member

Those anthias do look great swimming around the stags. I've looked into getting either those or Randall's anthias for my tank eventually, whichever my lfs can get in for me.

Unread 10/08/2015, 11:11 AM   #192
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Those anthias do look great swimming around the stags. I've looked into getting either those or Randall's anthias for my tank eventually, whichever my lfs can get in for me.
Thanks.

I used to keep P. bimaculatus. They were very hardy as a group (five females). They belong to the same genus as resplendent anthias as I mentioned to Matt (@reefmatt). However, when I kept a single male P. bimaculatus he did not do well in long term. The same thing happened when I kept a single male bartlett anthias.

P. randalli belongs to the same genus as P. bimaculatus and resplendent anthias. I wonder if it will follow that you will have success too if you get a group of at least five females. Hopefully, aggression will be minimised without the presence of a male or until one of the females converts to a male.

My lfs was very specific in his advice about selling me resplendent anthias even though he also stocks other anthias, including lyretails. He personally kept these anthias for a few years without loses, but had to move them eventually because he had to sell his tank.

Unread 10/08/2015, 11:24 AM   #193
pstank1
Registered Member

I've read that both the randall's and resplendent are on the docile end of the spectrum for anthias. I've also read that they're basically the same fish, just from different oceans. They also stay relatively small, which is nice.

Unread 10/08/2015, 11:41 AM   #194
echopiece
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
On a negative note according to @copps these fish are "jumpers". This reading has alarmed me quite a bit . This is now making sense to me because when I came home from my lfs, I found one of the new arrivals stuck in the plastic transport bag out of water. I have no idea how long it stayed out of water, but it seems OK now. The journey between my lfs and my house is about 45 minutes. If these fish start to jump out, I will be sitting on a big loss. I hate losing fish. It distresses me. I have never had jumpy anthias before. Watch this space ....
Very nice tank! Do you not have a screen over the tank to stop jumpers? I learned the hard way on that one

Unread 10/08/2015, 11:54 AM   #195
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I've read that both the randall's and resplendent are on the docile end of the spectrum for anthias. I've also read that they're basically the same fish, just from different oceans. They also stay relatively small, which is nice.
One of the first questions I asked to my lfs about this genus was how big they grow. Up to 3" was the answer, which helped me make up my mind.

Would you mind sharing your reading source please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echopiece View Post
Very nice tank! Do you not have a screen over the tank to stop jumpers? I learned the hard way on that one
Thank you. No, I do not have any screen, but I really should have one. It is just that I have avoided using one in order not to block light besides I am not very good at DIY.

Unread 10/08/2015, 04:36 PM   #196
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Here are four random pictures under ATI actinic (front) and ATI blue+ (back). I am completing tube replacement in 30 minutes. The last tube to go into the mix is ATI purple+. I will find out whether I can leave with the new combination or not tomorrow afternoon when I come back from work. The purple+ tube let me down in the past. I used it as part of the dawn to dusk setting and used it near to the front. My tank looked too purple as a result. Bu this time it will be in the fifth position from the front, so it should not dominate the tank with its purple hue too much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070268.jpg (73.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1070270.jpg (89.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1070277.jpg (102.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg P1070278.jpg (82.7 KB, 82 views)

Unread 10/08/2015, 05:29 PM   #197
M007
Acro Whore

Ouuulala, nice photos under the fresh T5's.

Unread 10/09/2015, 03:49 PM   #198
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
Ouuulala, nice photos under the fresh T5's.
Cheers mate.

My tube replacement is now over. It has taken three weeks to complete it. My new combination (all ATI) is as below:

front

coral+
blue+
actinic
aquablue special
purple+
blue+
coral+
blue+

I am very pleased with it, but I may still swap the positions of the first two tubes at the front as well as swapping the positions of purple+ and aqua blue special tubes. Hence, I have four further combinations to play with before I definitely settle with it. I am now very curious as to whether or not this new combination will match the crazy growth rate that the previous combination stimulated over the past 11 months. Time will tell.

Anyway, here are some photos I took one hour ago. Note that I chose the last photo specifically, so that I can show you how fat my Genicanthus melanospilos female is.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070290.jpg (78.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg P1070293.jpg (104.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg P1070295.jpg (103.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1070301.jpg (81.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg P1070297.jpg (76.7 KB, 68 views)

Unread 10/09/2015, 04:11 PM   #199
pstank1
Registered Member

Great photo's. How are your Genicanthus angels getting along together in the tank?

Unread 10/09/2015, 07:28 PM   #200
rburns24
Registered Member

-
If the P+ turns out not to be suitable, try a KZ Fiji Purple. I've always though of it as a
civilized version of a P+.
-

rburns24 is offline   Reply With Quote