Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2015, 08:33 PM   #276
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Those gigs died before I could execute your patented treatment method unfortunately. Came home and they were inside out, one of them already decomposing. It's the second time I had a carpet anemone go down very quickly, first one being a blue Haddoni.
man sorry to hear, im sure you will come across more. You seem to know were to find them

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 08:37 PM   #277
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
man sorry to hear, im sure you will come across more. You seem to know were to find them
Thanks, it was pretty sad to lose them in just one day. Hopefully better luck next time. Do you still have your purple Malus? I really liked the one I saw for sale today.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 08:41 PM   #278
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The new wild Onyx is doing fantastic. It started to eat Hikari marine pellets today.
This is her and below is a picture of her future mate, the tank raised Onyx clown currently residing in the sump but not for too long.

Unread 05/16/2015, 08:42 PM   #279
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, it was pretty sad to lose them in just one day. Hopefully better luck next time. Do you still have your purple Malus? I really liked the one I saw for sale today.
Negative on the purple malu's. When I got my gig's I wanted no chance of a negative interaction between anemone species.

Unread 05/16/2015, 08:43 PM   #280
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Negative on the purple malu's. When I got my gig's I wanted no chance of a negative interaction between anemone species.
Right. The blue one is a beauty. Nice find buddy

Unread 05/18/2015, 08:35 AM   #281
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The nano tank is ready for the new wild onyx clownfish to take up residence there with the tank raised onyx clown. I am going to pick up a flowerpot later today. The tank is 12 gallons AIO.

Unread 05/18/2015, 01:31 PM   #282
ThRoewer
Registered Member

What brand is that tank?
I'm thinking about closing down one of my 20 gallon freshwater tanks and replace it with an anemone tank. I already found a Kessil A360NE on ebay for it. I think a 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump may just be fine for a small gig and a pair of percula. Maybe I also relocate some of my LPS and zoas there so I can add a pair of regal angels to my big tank.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2015, 01:50 PM   #283
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
What brand is that tank?
I'm thinking about closing down one of my 20 gallon freshwater tanks and replace it with an anemone tank. I already found a Kessil A360NE on ebay for it. I think a 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump may just be fine for a small gig and a pair of percula. Maybe I also relocate some of my LPS and zoas there so I can add a pair of regal angels to my big tank.
That tank was made by Advanced Acrlylics. 15x15x12.

Unread 05/19/2015, 06:22 PM   #284
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

So Picasso and wild Onyx pair is bonding. I haven't seen either one assert dominance yet. Also got them a blue flowerpot. What better way to get them used to a blue carpet anemone? Haha

Unread 05/24/2015, 02:37 PM   #285
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I saw this wild caught Onyx and true Percula pair today. The true perc had an odd but cool pattern. Also saw a blue Gigantea that had been sold.

Unread 05/24/2015, 03:56 PM   #286
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Those would likely be good raw-material for designer clowns. It looks like they have the Picasso gene.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/24/2015, 04:11 PM   #287
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

This is amazing looks like your doing a great job

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2015, 04:31 PM   #288
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Those would likely be good raw-material for designer clowns. It looks like they have the Picasso gene.
That's what I thought too. Not a typical misbar true perc. If it had more white in the middle with the same pattern I would have bought it.

Unread 05/24/2015, 04:32 PM   #289
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrocketdad View Post
This is amazing looks like your doing a great job
Thank you

Unread 05/30/2015, 11:23 PM   #290
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

My wild onyx and Picasso pair has bonded well over the last two weeks. The onyx is more dominant and can be seen charging at the Picasso from time to time without biting him. The Picasso just does the submission dance and the onyx leaves him alone. Also, I bought a small/medium Haddoni carpet anemone several days ago. Today the clowns ditched their flowerpot and moved into the anemone. It's small to house both of the clowns and I will have to come up with a solution if the clowns harass it too much. Here's a pic of them moving in after the aquarium light turned of.

Anemone with the light on

Unread 06/02/2015, 12:56 PM   #291
goat585
Registered Member

Quote:
I wish Rod was still breeding clowns even if just for the sake of continuing his lineage and for his brand. I understand breeding clowns requires a huge commitment. However, one or two clutches a year at a higher price would be nice to let the clownfish lovers have what they want. I know his female died but I am sure he could have figured something out.
He did in a way. I have his Papa now Mama Onyx and paired with one of my Rod's Onyx offspring. I am raising babies from that pair and another pair of Rod's Onyx.

Current Tank Info: 240 Reef, 30 gallon cube, 30 gallon fuge, 30 frag tank, 2-125 Cichlid Tanks
goat585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 06:59 PM   #292
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat585 View Post
He did in a way. I have his Papa now Mama Onyx and paired with one of my Rod's Onyx offspring. I am raising babies from that pair and another pair of Rod's Onyx.
Since the C-Quest lineage has a somewhat tarnished image given the excessive inbreeding, the idea is to add wild genes into the lineage to maintain the blacks but remove some of the defects. The babies that my Rods pair produce have some of these defects, and I'm hoping to remove them in future generations.

Unread 06/02/2015, 07:28 PM   #293
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Since the C-Quest lineage has a somewhat tarnished image given the excessive inbreeding, the idea is to add wild genes into the lineage to maintain the blacks but remove some of the defects.
I completely agree. Anyone who watches Game of Thrones knows incest never ends well. Haha.
On a serious note, breeding defects have become a real problem as of late. It could be because good broodstock is dying off or hatcheries cannot afford mass culling to keep their operations alive; or a combination of both. Inbreeding appears to be a major part of the problem. We cannot replicate what mother nature does. However, the defects that I have seen lately are quiet disgusting to look at when visiting fish stores.

Unread 06/02/2015, 07:34 PM   #294
domination2580
Registered Member

Idk about there but a bubble tip anemone only cost me like 45$

domination2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 08:34 PM   #295
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's my new Onyx and Picasso pair. Both are tank raised I think but the Picasso is the closest tank raised clown to my wild true percula onyx that I have owned. It wouldn't surprise me if the Picasso was wild caught but because I do not know for fact I cannot claim that it is. The female is a typical C-quest onyx. It's a jumbo sized pair that I bought from another RC member and it's just a matter of time before they start mating.

Unread 06/02/2015, 08:48 PM   #296
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

And my Wild Onyx is doing very well. She has established herself as a dominant partner and her mate just submits to her.

Unread 06/02/2015, 09:16 PM   #297
ThRoewer
Registered Member

That Picasso could be a wild one. Does he have any deformities?

Unread 06/02/2015, 09:52 PM   #298
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
That Picasso could be a wild one. Does he have any deformities?
No, 0 deformities. It looks wild to me as well. Lack of deformities, the pattern and coloration (especially black towards the back) make me think he's wild. I closely inspected his face, fins and the body in general and couldn't see a deformity. Especially his dorsal fin doesn't seem to be as short as most tank raised Picassos have. But as long as they produce good looking babies I am ok either way. Lol

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 06/02/2015 at 10:38 PM.
Unread 06/11/2015, 10:27 AM   #299
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I went ahead and picked up a large gig for my clowns yesterday. The picture below was taken under ambient room lighting. The aquarium light itself was off.

Unread 06/11/2015, 11:04 AM   #300
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Looks good man, your making me jealous