Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2013, 04:44 AM   #51
Osama
Registered Member

Thanks it was a downer. We'll find a way. I have plenty of power in my house that needs to be moved from basement to first floor. Power was in basement powering my old setup of 180+320+2X90 and a sump. We just have to get someone who knows how to trace the lines and move them. LFS could not do it although he thought it would be a piece of cake. He did the old setups!!in the basement

Osama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 07:44 AM   #52
Osama
Registered Member

Started Aquascaping

First Aquascaping pictures. Expect more later on today or tomorrow as I take a break from carrying HEAVY Pieces of rock from the basement with a bad back at age 70!!

Unread 11/16/2013, 11:16 AM   #53
Osama
Registered Member

Photo Update 1 Aquascape

Slow going with Aquascaping.. First Photo Update

Unread 11/16/2013, 11:18 AM   #54
Osama
Registered Member

Sorry Here is Update 1 picture

Unread 11/16/2013, 11:26 AM   #55
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post
Sorry Here is Update 1 picture
Not bad young man not bad.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 11:34 AM   #56
Osama
Registered Member

Thanks it is taking time making sure these heavy pieces are stable. Wife on her way to get egg-crate to put all around tank for protection when I get the pumps going.

Unread 11/16/2013, 03:13 PM   #57
Osama
Registered Member

Update Aquascape Pictures

OK here is where I am with my Aquascaping update #2

Unread 11/16/2013, 03:29 PM   #58
swmccon
Registered Member

Looks amazing. Can't wait to see how it all works out.

swmccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 10:53 PM   #59
Scythanith
Premium Member

Just my opinion but I think less is more when it comes to live rock. I like the centre structure but maybe contemplate doing a little more of a stacked rock island look on the side closest to the camera in the last picture you posted. That will leave a little floor space for corals etc.

Amazing tank!

Scythanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 05:54 AM   #60
Osama
Registered Member

Rocks scaping update 2

Thinks Skythanith I do have a lot of rock and I welcome all ideas. I am OK for now with too much rock to start with and reducing it as the tank fills up with corals over a two year period for this size tank... I have been showing the back of the tank (looking at it from office room side). Next post will have both sides as of last night. I like your idea of an Island structure possibly at both ends I have to be careful a bit as I will have four one in each corner MP 60 Vortech pumps that may blow away smaller loose rocks.. Maybe not .. I will check them out before I place any significant structure in their area. Please let me know what U think of the next set of pictures and thanks.. Also considering stacking rock on the overflow and sloping it down to the middle area without obstructing the pumps

Unread 11/17/2013, 06:10 AM   #61
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Just my opinion but I think less is more when it comes to live rock. I like the centre structure but maybe contemplate doing a little more of a stacked rock island look on the side closest to the camera in the last picture you posted. That will leave a little floor space for corals etc.

Amazing tank!
I agree and find it easier to access the tank for any reason when the rocks are more open. I vote pillars or islands or even the slow cascade of rocks like the end of a reef. Plus detritus builds easily in large stacked rocks as water flow through them is challenging.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 06:35 AM   #62
Osama
Registered Member

Thanks Reeftanknewbie. More pictures coming your way soon. I like lots of rock and full tank with corals . Hope to duplicate my previous experience shown below/here with my 180 and my 320. Here is picture of my previous pride 180g. I need to do the right structure here with the main heavy pieces and be able to move around the less heavy one and shape the tank as I go along. Have to start considering all ideas for the base structure. Many thanks . This is the first run of many before corals are move in

Unread 11/17/2013, 06:55 AM   #63
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Wow that's a great looking tank and defiantly something to be proud of.

Unread 11/17/2013, 07:31 AM   #64
Osama
Registered Member

It took 6+ years to get it there and daily after hours taking care of the tank..Very enjoyable hobby.. Hope I can do it again.. I have been away for 4 years and things have changed/improved ? LED's vs MH & GFO vs no carbon period etc......Thanks I am enjoying learning about the new stuff and keeping busy ..

Unread 11/17/2013, 07:45 AM   #65
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post
It took 6+ years to get it there and daily after hours taking care of the tank..Very enjoyable hobby.. Hope I can do it again.. I have been away for 4 years and things have changed/improved ? LED's vs MH & GFO vs no carbon period etc......Thanks I am enjoying learning about the new stuff and keeping busy ..
I can relate. The last time I stepped away from the hobby pleums were out and bio balls were bad. And t5 lighting was new. Took me awhile to get caught up on things. People on here where a huge help to me in sharing their experiences. I don't pretend to know a lot but am willing to share my experiences, both good and bad, with you in any way needed. Welcome back to this great hobby

Unread 11/17/2013, 07:58 AM   #66
Osama
Registered Member

Thanks.. I still do not know about using Bioballs That was also a NONO for reef tanks.. And I am 200% with you about RC site and the helpful hobbyist here. Tried other sites but no comparison. A wealth of info at our fingertips. Some of these tanks are awesome and people so friendly and willing to share and prompt response to newbies questions. Thanks again. It is a great hobby

Unread 11/20/2013, 07:14 AM   #67
Osama
Registered Member

Tank Update Pictures

Here are the latest pictures. My Installer only comes twice a week on Tu & Th..
Had to break into walls & ceiling for Electrical difficulty contractor encountered
Not the best thing for wife TO SEE!! My gut feeling says there must have been an easier way as we could see multiple conduits very close by the tank Oh well.
Here we see old tank piping that will be reused to supply salt water from basement. We have to get over HVAC ducts, Main structure beam and gas line.

Wall had to be opened up and U can see some old RO lines that will be reused.

Four Reef Octupus Diablo DC 10500 in place First & last ones run two headers to front & back of main tank Next is a pump for the skimmer and another one for the two 65g tanks

left side of tank filled with water and two MP 60s at each end

The amazing part it all ends up in the control center (closet) that houses. all the ballasts Apex GFO's (2) skimmer and UV as well as CR & Kalk Reactor.

Unread 11/20/2013, 12:48 PM   #68
Ojos22
Registered Member

Very nice updates. Can't wait to see more.

Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2013, 01:52 PM   #69
Osama
Registered Member

Thanks Ojos. Looking forward to Thursday's Installation to share the latest. Hoping that electrical will be connected and the 65 g tanks to be operational . Using temporary extension chords for now . UV installed Th as well. More on Th or more likely on Fr.

Unread 11/21/2013, 03:48 AM   #70
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Things are coming along there great sir.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2013, 04:27 AM   #71
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

I wish I could open walls to do all of what your are doing but I would have to send my wife on a week long expensive trip to pull it off. This is really coming along nicely. Do you have the sump layout planned already?

Unread 11/21/2013, 06:41 AM   #72
Osama
Registered Member

Thanks Newbie & Reeftank. First and foremost, this project would not be ON if the wife was not in love with this hobby as well. Would have been emotionally better on us if we both were away and come back to a completed job. Getting into the walls was not in the equation at all... but she/we are OK with it NOW!!. All the plumbing is in. Main tank is running. Today the refuge and frag tanks will be running. More likely today he will also connect skimmer UV and GFOs. Installer is missing a part on the skimmer hoping it will arrive next week. Anyway rocks are in for me to continue playing with aquascaping and cycling of tank began. Will be adding sand bed slowly over next two weeks.. All the rocks were in a basement sump for 6 weeks and are in the main tank now. All LR except for 200lbs bought as dry from FL.

Unread 11/21/2013, 06:58 AM   #73
Osama
Registered Member

Reeftank: regarding the sump layout it is all planned by and installed by my LFS whom I had known for over ten years. Plumbing is extremely neat and none will be visible to the viewer once he is done with the install and cabinet and rebuild of the walls...
Sump setup is something like this.
Four compartment: Left & Right compartments are returns from each of the 65g tanks that are on either side of the sump (frag tank & a refuge tank). Water flows over filter material sitting on a raised egg-crate. Back compartment has four returns from the main tank and a feed return from the skimmer into which drips my doser/chemical my Kalk my CR etc all located in the closet at the end of the tank. Front sump compartment houses the four pumps. Two for main tank one for the two 65g and forth for the skimmer.. Hope that with the pictures on previous pages helps...

Unread 11/21/2013, 08:34 AM   #74
Midnightt
Registered Member

Beautiful!

Midnightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2013, 09:02 AM   #75
Osama
Registered Member

Thank You Midnight.. A dream come true and now retired and have something to do full time!!