Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/03/2018, 05:50 PM   #1
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member
 
fishy_mcfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: so cal, Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 1,370
Cleaning bakery buckets

I picked up a few 5 gal buckets with lids that had butter cream icing in them from a local bakery store and I can’t get the things clean! What can i use to clean out the greasy leftovers that are lining pretty much the entire inside of the bucket? I wanted to use one for an auto tip off container so it’s gotta be reef friendly type cleaning solutions. Any ideas are welcomed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


fishy_mcfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member
 
Vinny Kreyling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Miller Place, NY
Posts: 5,506
Vinegar?


__________________
250 gallon mixed reef, 2 Reefbreeder's Photon V 2, RD 3 Speedy 80 Watt, DAS EX-3 Skimmer, MTC mini cal, 2-3/4" Sea Swirls, Aquacontroller & 4 Tunze pumps.
Vinny Kreyling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2018, 06:07 PM   #3
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member
 
fishy_mcfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: so cal, Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Vinegar?


I haven’t tried that yet but I was thinking super hot water and vinegar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


fishy_mcfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2018, 07:18 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,506
Hot water and dish soap..Then a water/vinegar rinse should be sufficient..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2018, 10:42 PM   #5
WVfishguy
Registered Member
 
WVfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 587
None of the above.

Rubbing alcohol with baking soda. Plastics CAN and WILL adsorb soap and only detergent soap will cut the grease. Detergent can leave a phosphate residue. Alcohol and baking soda paste will scour the crap out, and because alcohol mixes instantly with water, no residue can remain. Of course, rinse well.

This is also how you clean glass when you repair an aquarium.

Actually, there may a strange occurrence here; if you've cleaned them at all, there probably is no actual residue in the buckets, but because the plastic is so slick, it simply feels like there is a greasy coating left. I worked in food service for a long time and used many food buckets over the decades.

Whatever - baking soda will rough it up, so it won't feel greasy any more.


WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2018, 10:45 PM   #6
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member
 
fishy_mcfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: so cal, Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
None of the above.



Rubbing alcohol with baking soda. Plastics CAN and WILL adsorb soap and only detergent soap will cut the grease. Detergent can leave a phosphate residue. Alcohol and baking soda paste will scour the crap out, and because alcohol mixes instantly with water, no residue can remain. Of course, rinse well.



This is also how you clean glass when you repair an aquarium.



Actually, there may a strange occurrence here; if you've cleaned them at all, there probably is no actual residue in the buckets, but because the plastic is so slick, it simply feels like there is a greasy coating left. I worked in food service for a long time and used many food buckets over the decades.



Whatever - baking soda will rough it up, so it won't feel greasy any more.


Thanks ill try this! And there is still stuff coming off the sides so it’s not just the walls being slick.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I’ll try to get them cleaned tonight or tomorrow and report back what happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


fishy_mcfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2018, 04:56 AM   #7
lolgranny
The DQ King
 
lolgranny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago (McHenry)
Posts: 2,305
Save yourself the headache, toss them, and go spend $3 on a new one

Those buckets are awful to clean lol. We’ve got them at my DQ and washing them is a nightmare. I use to save them but now they are tossed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
-Dave

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2018, 07:04 AM   #8
ZenGuitarGuy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolgranny View Post
Save yourself the headache, toss them, and go spend $3 on a new one
This. I've been using Lowe's buckets for various aquarium maintenance tasks for over two years, no problem. I have three and have never had to replace them.


__________________
Canadian Newbie!

Current Tank Info: Started 11/16: 65 G, FOWLR (some inverts), 70 lbs rock, RODI, RO 100 skimmer, Hydor 2x850 1x400, Cobalt 200W heater, TLF GFO reactor, Salifert testing, 10G QT
ZenGuitarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2018, 09:33 AM   #9
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member
 
fishy_mcfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: so cal, Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGuitarGuy View Post
This. I've been using Lowe's buckets for various aquarium maintenance tasks for over two years, no problem. I have three and have never had to replace them.


Do you know if you can store water in those Lowe’s buckets to use as an auto top off container? I have one but was concerned with it leaching stuff into the water.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


fishy_mcfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2018, 10:38 AM   #10
lolgranny
The DQ King
 
lolgranny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago (McHenry)
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy_mcfish View Post
Do you know if you can store water in those Lowe’s buckets to use as an auto top off container? I have one but was concerned with it leaching stuff into the water.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


They are food grade buckets HDPE2, they are fine to store water in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
-Dave

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2018, 01:49 AM   #11
WVfishguy
Registered Member
 
WVfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 587
You would all be surprised over how many buckets I've worn out and broken over the years.


WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2018, 02:25 AM   #12
lolgranny
The DQ King
 
lolgranny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago (McHenry)
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
You would all be surprised over how many buckets I've worn out and broken over the years.


Lol what are you doing with the poor buckets???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
-Dave

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2018, 07:40 PM   #13
Cdogsailr
Registered Member
 
Cdogsailr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 172
Don't be cheap, toss the used buckets. You're spending more money/effort trying to clean them than just buying new food-grade buckets at Home Depot.


Cdogsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2018, 10:57 PM   #14
WVfishguy
Registered Member
 
WVfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolgranny View Post
Lol what are you doing with the poor buckets???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you maintain more than 100 aquariums, and you do it for decades, you will wear out EVERYTHING.

BTW - for godsakes, I can't believe I told him to scrub them out. Just do like everyone here said and get new ones at Lowes or Home Depot. I'm embarrassed. It's not worth the trouble. I just had a brainfart. Sorry.


WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.