Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Popytoys
Registered Member

Does clownfish fry eat....

Hi everyone,

I just want to ask if clownfish larval eat phytoplankton or copepods? Which one be easier to raise? I have hard time to find a rotifer starter kit so wsnt to try something else... one vender charge the shipping little expensive so i want yo see any alternative i can feed my future fry

Thank you for all your help

Popytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2019, 07:13 PM   #2
JVan82
Registered Member

They eat rotifers, for the ~1st week, then baby brine shrimp, till they're big enough to eat flake food.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Fry must always eat "live" food first, in the correct size and soft enough for them to consume. Only Rotifers fit this criteria, and even these need to be gut loaded with phyto and Selcon to increase the nutrition value.

7-10 days of Rotifers, phyto in the water to keep Rotifers alive, I doubt you will have much success outside of this....

Even newly hatched brine is to big and to hard for them to feed, but they will chase and attempt to bite.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2019, 12:53 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Copepods of the right size and especially copepod nauplius stages are far better than rotifers and have the benefit that they are generally more nutritious even if not "gut-loaded". The only issue with copepods is that they are far more difficult to culture in the quantities you would need for a full hatch of Amphiprion larva.

As for only live food - clownfish (ocellaris / percula) fry have been successfully raised entirely with dry food.
Here a source for dry larval feeds: https://pentairaes.com/products/aqua...ed/larval-feed.
I know that the Otohime larval feeds have been successfully used to raised Amphiprion larva. You may however need a special tank - round with laminar rotational flow or a planktonkreisel - to make these feeds work.

And I have raised ocellaris and percula fry entirely with brine shrimp nauplii and frozen copepods. And not just a few but repeatably 90 to 95% of the entire hatch. Though the trick with this was to keep the parents and the fry in a lower salinity of 1.019 to 1.016.

So yes, it is definitely possible to raise percula and ocellaris fry without rotifers.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Popytoys
Registered Member

Thank you for all the info. I will order the rotifers and plankton... i do not have much left for my monthly allowance

Unread 10/01/2019, 03:22 PM   #6
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popytoys View Post
Thank you for all the info. I will order the rotifers and plankton... i do not have much left for my monthly allowance
Check out this, is everything I used...
https://reefnutrition.com/product_co...ure_system.php

https://reefnutrition.com/product_live_rotifers.php

https://reefnutrition.com/product_rgcomplete.php

Unread 10/02/2019, 03:02 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I used the same and it works, though I didn't find the bucket too effective. The biggest issue is that it is difficult to gauge the culture density.

This is the kind of tank design I would use for the clownfish larva tank:

(from https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...648a5c7ead568a

You want to keep the larva in motion and give them the impression they can swim a continuous straight line without hitting a wall or getting stuck in a corner. Jellyfish tanks like the above are also well suited for many marine fish larva.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 04:37 AM   #8
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I used the same and it works, though I didn't find the bucket too effective. The biggest issue is that it is difficult to gauge the culture density.

This is the kind of tank design I would use for the clownfish larva tank:

(from https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...648a5c7ead568a

You want to keep the larva in motion and give them the impression they can swim a continuous straight line without hitting a wall or getting stuck in a corner. Jellyfish tanks like the above are also well suited for many marine fish larva.
Those look sweet, going to have to check them out, thanks!

Unread 10/03/2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Popytoys
Registered Member

Jvan32 thx for the info. I m about to buy the starter kit from there. They r nice and great to deal w though.

Also Chad Vossen got back to me for the larval trap. I will order one but i also trh to make one for fun