Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Padrino
Registered Member

Show us your sumps/fishrooms

I am looking for some great ideas for fish rooms/good sumps. Please post some pictures of good fishrooms that you have come across, i will post some pics of some well thought out setups

Brickys fishroom

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Padrino
Registered Member

Teesquare's fish room

Unread 05/09/2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Padrino
Registered Member

Serpentman's Fishroom

Unread 05/09/2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Padrino
Registered Member

ChingChai's Beauty

Here are some pics of Chingchai's initial designs,

Unread 05/09/2010, 07:21 PM   #5
evilpsych
Registered Member

i have a sneaking feeling that 'ching-chai' works at a physical plant or perhaps a state aquarium..

evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Padrino
Registered Member

Some pics of the completd work

Last edited by Padrino; 05/09/2010 at 08:12 PM.
Unread 05/09/2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Padrino
Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4QI5...eature=related

Really i like this video helps describe the designs shown above

Unread 05/09/2010, 08:51 PM   #8
ArmanS
Registered Member

really amazing attention to detail, keep them coming! some amazing stuff so far.

ArmanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Bricky
Registered Member

Totally cool that you think my garage/fish room is right up there with these other guys. Both Teesquare and ChingChai have done amazing work with their equipment setups.

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Padrino
Registered Member

Bricky, I love your fish Room! I will try and constantly update this thread but its hard with work and everything going on. Feel free to post any pictures of great systems that you may have seen while researching on RC

Here is a few pictures of Marc's fishroom. I miss marc around here.

Unread 05/22/2010, 04:22 PM   #11
reidcrandall
Registered Member

As per Rob's request, here are some pics of my fish room. It's not the ideal space, but I am doing what I can with what I've got. It's basically in the furnace room in my basement, and completely separate from the tank, separated by stairway. It's still kind of a mess / work in progress, but we're getting there.

First, the basement layout:

This is my very first idea of how things would look, and it's very similar to the way that it turned out. The tank, sump and SW mix are all located where they are in this pic. The frag tank is where the ATO is above, and the ATO is hooked directly into the RO/DI system with a solenoid valve. The QT tank sits just under where the RO/DI hangs in the floor joists of the first floor. The sink is opposite the toilet, located in the furnace / fish room.

Here is the view from just inside the door of the basement, looking toward the frag tank, sump etc. Notice the frag tank, BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS:

And the view looking from the other side of the sump:

The tank drains underneath the stairway, and is split into two on the sump side. The split has two valves, one going to the skimmer portion of the sump, and one to the refugium:

Above the drain, I have a manifold with five valves off of the return. Two from one pump and three from the other. The one with two on this end also feeds the frag tank. You can see that valve just behind the fuge light, which is just a standard clip on work light from Lowes with a 6500k daylight power compact flood bulb:

The fuge, which the frag tank drains back into via gravity. I have a little bag of carbon on that outlet at the moment to see if it helps reduce some of my organics. I've got a little algae in the frag tank, even though my phosphates test at 0 with a Hannah photometer. Go figure:

My wire mess. I don't have everything running through the Aquacontroller Apex yet... but will when I get the cash for another EB8:

Here are the plastic shelves that I got at Home Depot. They hold all of my various alchemic potions and such. You can also see buckets of salt, magnesium, calcium and alk mix from Bulk Reef Supply. One day I will have dosing pumps for these, but today, it's all manual:

Here's my QT tank. You can see the Regal Angel, but the juvi Majestic is hiding. Behind it is a big Rubbermaid containter that I bought to cure my rock in. Now it's empty and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with it:

Here's the all important de-humidifier:

Like I said, still a mess and a work in progress. I am going to grab some hooks and baskets and whatnot for the pegboard to get the organization headed in the right direction here soon. Lighting still sucks too, but I bought some T8 fluorescents to hang recently. Not the best color, but at least it will be brighter.

Hope it helps!

There is no more red house! Click my name and see my homepage for my 120g Reef w/ custom stand build!

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech In Progress
reidcrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2010, 04:46 PM   #12
Marchingbandjs
Registered Member

looks good, use the bin for a frag tank

Marchingbandjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Padrino
Registered Member

Reid,
Thanks for posting and thats great! Better than most fish rooms Ive seen. Its functional. can you explain the red and blue hoses and what it does? Im assuming it has something to do with your RO system?

Unread 05/22/2010, 10:18 PM   #14
HumbleLobster
Should be Quarantined

Looks like a manifold for a house that uses PEX tubing instead of copper.

HumbleLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 01:11 PM   #15
kikireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleLobster View Post
Looks like a manifold for a house that uses PEX tubing instead of copper.
I think your right. My new house has almost no copper. All the tubing looks exactly like that.

kikireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 10:48 PM   #16
samiam1975
Registered Member

wow and i thought i had a bunch of stuff on my tank
all of them are awsome

i wish i had a room i could use (maybe another 10 years when my daughter moves out) shes 15 now

samiam1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Pmoss
Registered Member

after looking at these pics, I think I may hold off on posting mine!

Unread 05/28/2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Padrino
Registered Member

sorry i have been extremely busy with work . I will continue to post more fishrooms over the next few days

Unread 01/14/2011, 10:05 PM   #19
jayel
Premium Member

New year, new bump

jayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 10:44 AM   #20
Padrino
Registered Member

I want to ressurect this thread. I watched this unreal video on Youtube about 3 weeks ago and cannot find it for the life of me. If anyone sees any great fishroom videos or pictures, please post them here or provide a link to where we can find them.

Thanks
Rob

Unread 04/06/2011, 11:04 AM   #21
npaden
Registered Member

Here's my fishroom. A 12'x16' greenhouse shed that I built. My water flows out from my house to the shed and back.

My 1,100 gallon tub of cheato.

Not much attention to detail on my part! I actually cleaned up to take those pictures!

Those pictures are from several years ago. I haven't bred clownfish in several years now and you can tell from the towel around the skimmer and I usually have one around my calcium reactor as well that the sunlight wreaks havoc on some things. I'm going to do a rework this summer and move a bunch of stuff to the other side of the shed where it can be out of the sunlight.

Here's a picture from when I was building it.

I'm hoping to get some much needed revamping done on my tank and convert it to LED lighting this year as well. The big project is going to be getting rid of the brown polyps that have nearly taken over the entire display though.

Maximize Flow, Minimize Velocity! Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)

Current Tank Info: 415G 10' display tank w/ 135G refugium/sump New Shed/Greenhouse w/ 1,100g refugium, 100g mangrove tank, 150g sump Several 25g clown growout tanks and 10g hatchout tanks
npaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 12:27 PM   #22
sergebmw2
Registered Member

WOW guys this thread is loo looking amazing, iam loving it i wish that i had a fish room!!!
i love how some of these rooms are really clean and organized iam a clean freak lol

Keep those Fish rooms looking nice and functioning

Looking forward to more posts

sergebmw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 01:33 PM   #23
fote03
Registered Member

Bump for more. npaden do u have a build thread?

Unread 04/10/2011, 07:08 AM   #24
Russter
Northern Reefer

Russter's fish room

Here's pics of mine. It is located in the furnace/laundry room of my house and is separated from the DT by a wall.

Russter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 07:33 AM   #25
bamf25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Reid,
Thanks for posting and thats great! Better than most fish rooms Ive seen. Its functional. can you explain the red and blue hoses and what it does? Im assuming it has something to do with your RO system?
It is a water manifold system, my house has the same setup. It is basically a fusebox for waterlines. The pex tubing has no breaks and runs directly to the fixture it supplies. There are no valves (at least in my house) under the sinks etc, all on/off is controlled at this "board'. Makes things very clean, and basically eliminates any chance for leaks because the lines have no joints or breaks. Red is for hot, blue is for cold, and the board has a series of valves to shut off water and each valve is labled exactly as a fuse would be.

bamf25 is offline   Reply With Quote