Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/01/2014, 10:16 PM   #1
reefpot
Premium Member

Storm setup question

Hi,

I bought the genesis storm/renew pro with pumps 2-3 months ago and hooked up the storm so far. The problem I have is: the monitoring and the bin indicators keep flashing. I have been topping off manually everyday thinking that I connected something wrongly. In the last few days I connected everything again, and those two indicators keep blinking. The sump level indicator is appropriately working. It has been very frustrating to make it work. Please help. I couldn't find a customer service phone number on your website, to call for trouble shoot.

Thank you
Sam

Currently, 400 gal custom in-built peninsula mixed reef tank. Previously,105 gal oceanic starphire tank predominantly SPS, 90 gal mixed reef bowfront and 47 gal bowfront FOWLR.
reefpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2014, 05:45 AM   #2
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your STORM™. I'll do all I can to help you get it running automatically as quickly as possible.

The MONITORING indicator blinks when either of the following conditions occur:
1. The unit has been intentionally "paused" by pressing and releasing the yellow Pause/Reset button. Resume operations by pressing and releasing the yellow Pause/Reset button a second time.
2. The STORM™ has detected that the water level in the sump has risen to Failsafe Sensor 1, or Failsafe Sensor 1 has been triggered by another means. Failsafe Sensor 2 is the highest sensor mounted in your sump, usually at the very top. Its function is to indefinitely suspend top off cycles if the water level ever reaches this high (to allow the user to determine why it reached that high and address the situation). The top off functions are suspended until the user presses and releases the yellow Pause/Reset button.

The BIN indicator blinks when the water level in the top off bin is below the Top Off Bin Sensor and therefore no top off cycles can occur. As soon as the water level in the top off bin rises above the Top Off Bin Sensor, top off cycles will resume automatically and this indicator will change to be solidly illuminated. If using the ROCv™ to automatically refill the top off bin, the user needs to take no action. If no ROCv™ is being utilized the top off bin must be manually refilled by the user. The function of the Top Off Bin Sensor is to suspend top off functions when the water is low so that your top off pump does not run dry and overheat.

Judging from your description, it appears that there are a couple of issues to resolve:
First, it appears that the water level in your top off bin is below the Top Off Bin Sensor (which should be the lowest sensor mounted in your top off bin and should have a red wire). If it is submerged, make sure that the sensor is fully plugged into the control module (press firmly!), that the sensor is mounted such that the wire comes out of the top of the sensor, and that the float is free to move up and down along the stem of the sensor, and that it cannot contact the sensor shroud cover.

Second, press and release the yellow Pause/Reset button. If the MONITORING indicator becomes solidly illuminated, you should be good to go. If it begins blinking again without being pressed, ensure that Failsafe Sensor 1 is mounted at the top of your sump, with the wire coming out of the top of the sensor, and that the float is free to move up and down along the stem of the sensor and is at the end of the stem opposite the wire.

Please let me know what you find resolves the issue, and certainly don't hesitate to get back in touch if these steps don't fully resolve the issues.

Have a great day,
Kevin

Tags
flashing, genesis, indicators, setup, storm