Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/31/2014, 06:06 PM   #1
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

Water tank heights

Hi Kevin,
I'm in the process of moving a bunch of stuff around between some walk-in closets in my house since one of them is behind the wall where my DT is ... My chiller already resides in there but I'm going to turn it in to a mini fish room, mostly so I can set up your Genesis and Storm auto water systems.

Right now I have a 75g RO/DI tank that I use to manually fill an ATO tank in my cabinet and a 25g seawater tank that I use to do 15 gal PWCs every week. My plan is to use these 2 tanks for the automatic system as well. If I plan to use the Eihem 1000 pumps would it be a good idea to locate the tanks off the floor at some height or just have them sit on the floor? Or it is the height you locate your reservoirs that matters more?

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef
MarlinHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 12:50 AM   #2
ArmanS
Registered Member

I have a similar setup. Genesis pro system, 2 75g RODI tanks and the Eheim 1000 Pumps.

Keep the tanks on the floor, the reservoir needs to be higher then the sump obviously to gravity feed the sump. The Eheim Pump will pump the water into the metering reservoir and then it will go to the sump via gravity.

I originally purchased some large 7' tall tanks but decided to go with smaller 75g tanks because the power cables of the Eheim 1000 were not long enough.

Just make sure to keep the reservoir above the sump and your good to go.

Old 09/01/2014, 11:43 AM   #3
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

Thx, that makes sense. My sump is in the cabinet under my tank so it's only a few inches off the floor so I won't have to locate the reservoirs very high ...

Old 09/02/2014, 01:41 AM   #4
ArmanS
Registered Member

Yeah it is a pretty simple install. You will love it!

Old 09/02/2014, 09:33 AM   #5
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

Can't wait. Spent all day yesterday moving all the stuff out of my closet. I need to make some kind of water trap on the floor so that the carpet in the closet doesn't get wet with any spilled water, etc and then I'll be ready to move my 2 storage tanks & RO/DI system in the closet. Once those are moved in I'll be ready to get the Genesis system ...

Old 09/02/2014, 12:44 PM   #6
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Sorry for the delayed response. It sounds like you had a productive Labor Day weekend!

I think ArmanS has already answered your questions and has given you excellent direction (thanks, ArmanS!), but if you do have any further questions that I can answer for you please don't hesitate to post here or email us through our contact page.

Have a great day,
Kevin

P.S. I agree with ArmanS - you're going to love your new RENEW™ and STORM™ systems!

Old 11/18/2015, 03:08 PM   #7
pciscott
Pirates Cove Reef

I used some mag 3 pumps because my tanks were 7' tall, they come with longer cords. I have had my system set up now for a month and doing 12 gallons per day on a 600 gallon system and I love it! Awesome system!

Current Tank Info: Pirates Cove 400 Gallon Peninsula with Kessil T5 Hybrid Lighting System, Lighting controlled by Apex, Tank controlled by Profilux, 130 Liters of Siporax in 9 bins in clean area of sump, Instant Ocean, Way too many Fish! Keep it simple!
pciscott is offline   Reply With Quote