Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2016, 01:57 AM   #26
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM and the Boys View Post
I understand, I've built a few at public aquariums and have one on my pond....just seems more people go with siporax/matrix/rubble on their reef tanks. They do work well and are easily cleaned...

Starting with zeovit is nice because you can reduce the problem algae right from the beginning though I don't love it for long term maintenance.

More pics!

d.

The thing that initially attracted me is what eventually drove me away from purchasing it. Zeovit and others being full systems have a go-to solution for almost every issue. The downside is the ongoing cost of supplies and daily maintenance or dosing required.

I figured I would try a low-maintenance tried and true method first. If I don't end up liking the bioreactor I'll pull it out, and that will give me plenty of space for a Zeovit reactor. For algae I was going to rely on gfo. Also run carbon

I'll look more into siporax, I appreciate the feedback and info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2016, 02:01 AM   #27
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
jesus....that sump is SEXY...wow

Thank you, I'm a big fan! Steve from Bashea did a facebook post with pics from the build. Here's the link:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&ref=bookmarks

Unread 11/13/2016, 02:21 AM   #28
falcona2552
Registered Member

Not all starfire glass is the same, as the amount of iron even in starfire can vary from different sources. This may be why you see some starfire with zero tint that is 'flawless' and some starfire with a bit of green still.

Algae accumulating on the glass will be the only concern you have once you get water in it.

Past system: 29G Biocube (2008-2011)
falcona2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2016, 02:26 AM   #29
siliconinja
Registered Member

Well, I feel as though today marks the first real function progress with the tank. I wired and plumbed my automated RODI system.

As a refresher, I purchased a 6-stage 150gpd kit from brs, an extra pre filter cartridge, a booster pump, and an auto flush kit. I also purchased a Tunze RO Controller 8555.

I started with the tunze controller, which was a bit difficult to figure out at first, especially with attaching the float sensors. Luckily what I had done when hard plumbing the storage tanks was install bulkheads on both tanks. I then dropped a piece of pvc down almost to the bottom of the tank, with a union towards the top of the tank close to the bottom of the bulk head. To install the controller's float switches, I just zip tied the included hardware to the pvc. The pipe also provided convenient cable management.

I then plumbed backwards, and then did the electric work which required some cable management and extension using lamp wire. I have some additional tidying up to yet, but it's 3am and I'm pretty pumped I got it working! Here are some pics:

I had a leak upon start up two places, both with o-rings that came installed from brs. First was the first stage RO canister, which was a little confusing to disconnect at first, but I was able to soak the o-ring in hot water a bit and it regained its shape for the most part. The second leak was in the first stage Di canister. That o-ring was also not installed and compressed properly, and was not able to be reused. To run the system for a full rest I ended up disconnecting the first stage 5 micron sediment filter to use as the first stage di.

I'll have to reach out for a replacement o ring Monday.

On the upside, no leaks at all with the water mixing station. And the pump sounds super cool when it kicks on. I installed it using a timer switch that has an on/off button and also has set intervals of 5min, 15 min, 30min, 1 min, 2hr, 4hr. This should help a bit when mixing salt water.

I will upload a video or two soon showing more detail. I have another stainless steel shelf to install, my initial thought was to use it for gauges. But I kind of like how the gauges are installed now, a little more like a lab. I also need to tap the pex, and install a valve for a permanent supply connection for the rodi system. I was also still planning on setting up a pre-heat bucket so the system runs at optimal temp.

I shut off the system for tonight, I'll fill the drums to capacity tomorrow to rinse then drain to flush the system. I'll install the heater for the salt tank, and mix up my first batch of saltwater. I'll also clean out my qt (biocube 29) and get it sanitized, ready for its cycle and first inhabitants. I'm thinking to keep it simple with a couple of clowns, but open to other suggestions for my first fish addition.

Unread 11/13/2016, 09:44 AM   #30
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Very nice. Can wait to see the rest.

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 06:52 PM   #31
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearMD View Post
Very nice. Can wait to see the rest.

Thank you! Looking forward to receiving the Shadow overflow from Synergy, after that will allow the majority of progress!

Unread 11/17/2016, 07:26 PM   #32
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quick update. After discussion with kessil I have decided to return the 3x 360w in favor of 3x 360n and mount them within the header above the tank. This will give me a clean, cord free install. The lights will be 12-14" above the water height, the focused light will allow for greater shimmer too.

Other than that, I'll be playing around with the sump this weekend a bit, test fitting it into place. Also setting up my quarantine tank. Open to suggestions for my first fish!

Unread 11/20/2016, 02:01 AM   #33
siliconinja
Registered Member

So far this weekend I have emptied the initial fill of the storage tanks, total of 90 gallons for the initial flush of the filters. I then refilled both tanks, and setup the salt mixing tank to get my first batch going.

I added a 150w neotherm heater and a maxi jet 1200 to the salt tank. I attached both of them to the pvc I put in the tank, attached to the bulkhead drilled into the top of the tank. Directly below the bulkhead, at the inside top of the holding tank, is a union for easy access to the equipment.

The heater is about 1/2in-1in from the bottom of the tank, and basically closes the gap between the pvc and the bottom of the tank. When the iwaki transfer pump is running, it provides a continuous flush of water over the heater for an even quick warm up, the mj1200 has enough slack in the power line to allow it to lay sideways on the bottom of the tank. This keeps the very bottom of the tank, where salt would collect, agitated. I connected both the mj1200 and the heater to a surge protector, with the power switch for the surge protector within easy reach. This way I can turn off the mixing equipment when the tank isn't in use, or in between fills.

Currently mixing up my first batch of saltwater! Tomorrow I'll clean out the biocube and start its cycle

Unread 11/20/2016, 07:32 AM   #34
GQuinn
Registered Member

Nice work. Great attention to detail. Are the neotherm heaters the the ones they were having trouble with. There was a brand of plastic case heaters that were fracturing and nuking tanks.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 12:38 AM   #35
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
Nice work. Great attention to detail. Are the neotherm heaters the the ones they were having trouble with. There was a brand of plastic case heaters that were fracturing and nuking tanks.

Thank you for the heads up GQuinn, I wasn't previously aware of the issue. I purchased them after watching the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing episode on heaters, it showed the neotherm to have virtually no fluctuation in temperature.

After your post I did some quick searching on RC, something I should probably always do before purchasing a new product. Here is the big thread on the subject: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2376715

It seems as though the issue was just with the 200w model, which they pulled and no longer sell. I have one of the 150w in my 55g saltwater mixing tank, and one 150w in my quarantine biocube.

If they blow out, I suppose they're in safe enough places? Already spent money on them and got them wet

Unread 11/21/2016, 12:46 AM   #36
siliconinja
Registered Member

Put some work in today as well. I added the pre-heater coil for the RODI system. Just a 5g food safe white bucket from lowes with the sauce cap, a 100w heater, 50' of 1/4" tubing, and a couple of 1/4" bulkheads.

I also purchased some storage bins, all of my see stuff is in boxes. I plan to unpack all of my gear and sort it into clear containers for permanent storage.

I also purchased and installed a nice Rubbermaid hanging rack, as well as a broom, dustpan, and mop for the back room. I figured this was important after just a couple of days working back there. It's a tight space, cleanliness and organization counts!

The main thing I got done was clean out my bio cube to get it ready for a new life as a quarantine tank. The biocube was my first tank, and I took it down before I really knew how to even tear down a tank. I left the sand in it, pump installed, bags of carbon and chemipure still in my in-tank media rack. Rookie mistake.

I got the sand out, disassembled the whole setup, then filled it with clean RODI and 2g of vinegar, and turned on the heater. I also got my MP10 hooked up and running.

Tomorrow I'll drain, rinse, and fill with Saltwater to start my cycle!

Unread 11/21/2016, 12:00 PM   #37
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quarantine System and Storage Rack

Need to do better on that cord management

Finished RODI

Cleaned up electrical wiring, moved the auto flush to be visible, final zip ties and clean up

Finished pre-heater for RODI

One last thing for the RODI but I'm going to let my plumber friend do it... need to put in a pex valve and 1/4" conversion for a permanent supply install for the system. Currently, its feeding from my sink faucet which is slightly inconvenient now and runs the risk I will forget to leave the water on. I will for sure need to do this before getting my python water change / gravel cleaner kit which will need to use the faucet to prime the siphon

Unread 11/21/2016, 01:44 PM   #38
MrDaniel
Registered Member

Great build thus far! I love how clean the RODI system set up is. It looks like you're going to have quire the amazing tank.

MrDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 11:34 PM   #39
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniel View Post
Great build thus far! I love how clean the RODI system set up is. It looks like you're going to have quire the amazing tank.

Thank you for following along MrDaniel!
Any input you could provide would be appreciated!

Unread 11/21/2016, 11:43 PM   #40
siliconinja
Registered Member

I did a relatively insignificant project tonight that I probably spent too much time on, but for some reason I'm getting a lot of satisfaction out of it.

I used a white caulk/silicone mix to fill in every seam on the interior of the stand, as well as between the stand and the floor.

I also ran an 18' warm white led rope light with remote on the interior of the stand to provide lighting for the sump.

Lastly, I cut a piece of neoprene for the top of the stand, as well as for the concrete floor beneath the sump. On the one beneath the sump, I cut the piece 1" larger on every side and put a 45 degree cut on the angle. This will allow the neoprene to create a 1" lip around the interior floor of the stand, hopefully one additional barrier against water seepage.

When I finish the exterior of the stand, I will cut away the carpet a bit more and add in a runner strip of tile all the way along the base. Prior to install, I will use a caulk/silicone mix around the exterior of the stand to seal it to the floor. The tile runner will allow for a clean finish, as well as serve as a small barrier from the occasional water splash.

Unread 11/21/2016, 11:51 PM   #41
siliconinja
Registered Member

Almost forgot! Waiting for Black Friday paid off, I saved $100 ordering my Maxspect Gyre 250 and additional pump only.

At first BRS had it for 10%, and marine depot had it for 20% so I bought them from marine depot. Later in the afternoon I got an email from BRS stating that they incorrectly marked down the maxspect gear and they were also offering 20% off.

I'll buy some icecap battery backups from BRS to make up for it

Unread 11/24/2016, 07:49 PM   #42
siliconinja
Registered Member

Unread 11/24/2016, 08:07 PM   #43
serenity
Registered Member

Looks great, I love the water room!!! Looking forward to watching the one come together!

Unread 11/24/2016, 11:20 PM   #44
JoahEsa
Registered Member

Looking great so far,especially that sump from bashsea. I have actually had a custom sump from them ordered through them for a few months now. Finally received the email letting me know that it should arrive next week along with matching media chambers. Steve at bashsea along with Luke at premium aquatics were great to work with. When you get this tank wet, please let me know how the bio-pellet reactor and skimmer work. I've been buying things slowly for my build and I'm still going back and forth on the skimmer selection. Can't find much info on the skimmer. I like the idea of keeping it looking clean with all bashsea products though. Enough rambling and good luck with the build and will be following along.

JoahEsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2016, 04:55 AM   #45
dorky
Registered Member

Wow what a great build I'm really intrigued by the quality of the plug n play sump.

dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2016, 11:53 PM   #46
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity View Post
Looks great, I love the water room!!! Looking forward to watching the one come together!
So far it's my favorite part of the build, the RODI system and stainless impress guests. They follow along with the tank, sump, and the fact that my basement is torn up for months at a time... but when they see the back room they always say I've "gone off the deep end".

Fellow reefers appreciate it because they know what a pain the hobby can be when making/moving water isn't efficient.

I just added up my digital testing collection with a Milwaukee digital refractometer, it finishes the mixing station perfectly and is super convenient to use. Great Black Friday deal too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorky View Post
Wow what a great build I'm really intrigued by the quality of the plug n play sump.
After initially kicking around the idea of a synergy reef sump with mix and match equipment, then all vertex equipment, then an all vertex sump, I finally settled on BashSea. Completely custom life support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoahEsa View Post
Looking great so far,especially that sump from bashsea. I have actually had a custom sump from them ordered through them for a few months now. Finally received the email letting me know that it should arrive next week along with matching media chambers. Steve at bashsea along with Luke at premium aquatics were great to work with. When you get this tank wet, please let me know how the bio-pellet reactor and skimmer work. I've been buying things slowly for my build and I'm still going back and forth on the skimmer selection. Can't find much info on the skimmer. I like the idea of keeping it looking clean with all bashsea products though. Enough rambling and good luck with the build and will be following along.

Loved working with Steve, every dimension of the sump and equipment was customized exactly to my setup. With space tight, I really wanted to get as much of the space in the stand as wet as possible. The sump is within 1" in all dimensions, even the height is taken into account for being able to remove/install equipment.

If you find yourself in Detroit, definitely stop by his shop. It's super custom itself, and he's building an incredible showroom!

Unread 11/27/2016, 12:16 AM   #47
siliconinja
Registered Member

Got some work in over the holiday weekend! As mentioned above, much of my early Black Friday shopping stuff came in..
- 2x MaxSpect Gyre 250 pumps with controller
- IceCap battery backup
- Black vinyl tubing for sump equipment
- 1" and 1.5" schedule 80 fittings and pipe for drain lines

I have started painting the sides of the tank tonight, prepped and threw a light tack coat on at about 5pm and about 11pm I put the first real coat on. I'll do a second coat tomorrow morning. I used rustoleum enamel black gloss. I taped about .5" wide on each side, after installing the trim pieces that will close in the tank, I'll use a razor blade to bring it in clean.

I also plumbed and started wiring the sump. I ordered way too much black vinyl

Love the way the sump looks with all black vinyl tubing, the electric routing holes make for a clean look in the sump. I've also mounted the one EB8 I own. With the 5 pumps, two heaters, and one fan I'm already maxed out!

I installed my tunze osmolator's sensors in the return area of the sump, and mounted the controller within the column. The tubing being 7mm is kind of annoying, but I ordered some 1/4" fittings one of them will help me convert. I ordered some black 1/4" tubing to run from the RODI holding tank all the way to the sump.

I did initially install some expanded polyethylene foam, and spray installed some neoprene on top. Admittedly, I did a bad job cutting it. Also, when installing some zip tie mounts on the interior of the columns for cable management, I got on top of the stand and my fat *** put some permanent dents in the foam. I tore it out, and will have to replace it before installing the tank.

I'm getting close enough to start to get excited. The Synergy reef overflow should ship this week, hoping to get it by next weekend.

As my final Black Friday shopping, I ordered some final return line plumbing, a couple extra EB8's, and a Neptune dos for continuous water changes.

Unread 11/27/2016, 01:27 PM   #48
siliconinja
Registered Member

A few more pics..

Tunze ATO

Neptune EB8

MaxSpect Gyre Powerheads w/ Controller and IceCap Battery Backup

extremely high quality devices and packaging!

Finished painting the tank. I used the flashlight on my iPhone to shine in from the wet side of the tank to identify any areas that needed special attention. Two coats looks like it's enough, but it isn't!

Unread 11/27/2016, 04:02 PM   #49
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Super clean build! I will be following along

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 07:39 PM   #50
fishresponse
Registered Member

Was the paint you used oil-based or latex?

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote