Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/11/2014, 02:41 PM   #226
karimwassef
Registered Member

And the clear plastic curtains pulled to the right are to isolate the tank from the rest of the garage as needed - for temp control, bug control (Texas in the summer by the lake is mosquito heaven). How much phosphate is there in a mosquito anyway?

Also thinking of running a large diameter hose from outside to the inlets of the skimmer. I'm pulling a ton of air in that thing and I don't think stale garage air is healthy for a growing reef.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 02:51 PM   #227
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Great stuff, Karim. Your build is an inspiration. I have to say your DIY work is really amazing and for a non-engineer a little intimidating!! Can you talk a little more about your overflow set up. You've modified Bean's return and I would be interest to know your thinking.

I'm sorry I did not respond to your post on my thread but I do not want to post until my tank is solid. The second small glass went in today and in two weeks I'll run a water test. If all goes well I'll post pictures for the last 6 months of labor!

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 03:10 PM   #228
karimwassef
Registered Member

Lavoisier!!! Nice to hear from you again and can't wait to see more pics.

I didn't modify the beananimal. It's designed to optimize a steady state flow, not a surge.

So, with 5 available openings in my overflow box and an end to end weir - I needed to get my surge to be as quiet as can be.

Starting from the far right (all 2" PVC):

1. I used a submersible DC pump inside the overflow and connected the output up to my surge container inlet and my skimmer's inlet.

2. This is the normal overflow to the sump's first stage. I use a 2" elbow and turn it up or down to control the water level. I had to use a smaller circulating pump, but this is reasonably quiet now.

3, 4, and 5 are bridged with as many T connectors as would fit. Pointing upwards, gravity and buoyancy turn them into a bridge where the middle T is higher than the end Ts unless there's a surge (need a video to show this).

3 runs into the first stage of the sump

4 and 5 run into the last stage of the sump. This is because the entire surge rushing through my narrow sump created a wave that created all the bubbles I was so desperate to avoid.

The first stage is also where the skimmer exits.

The last stage is where the buffer sump is plumbed in.

Old 05/11/2014, 05:51 PM   #229
Joel_155
Registered Member

Awesome detail. I wouldn't worry about the wiring.....with the detail in the bails I'm confident that it will be super tidy by the time it's done. I understand about work...it can take me a month to do a small project...work gets in the way of reefing...lol

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 06:18 PM   #230
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks.

The first concrete branches are dry and self suspended.

photo 1A9F6471-ABC6-4712-90F7-C82E81897DE9_zpss9m6bfqv.jpg

I did notice that the bottom PVC didn't get enough coverage, but I don't know if I'll go back to cover it. The fish and pods will know, but that's ok...

Old 05/11/2014, 06:21 PM   #231
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Karim - I understand how you are making the PVC structures for the rock, but what is the rock material made of? Are you crushing oysters and doing a cement mixture?

chrismhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 06:42 PM   #232
karimwassef
Registered Member

I take fabric (terry cloth or gauze) and wet it in a cement slurry, then run it through a concrete mix (cement, sand, oyster, pumice) and wrap the PVC/eggcrate with it.

There I drizzle some concrete mix to hide the fabric texture and give it an aragonite dusting.

It's my own method since I wasn't going to create inverse molds for all these pieces. Everyone insisted that was the only way but that is way too much work.

Old 05/11/2014, 06:44 PM   #233
karimwassef
Registered Member

I drill it so I can use solid airline tubing later to attach coral. It's essentially a concrete skin only with a void or plastic interior. The PVC and eggcrate keeps it super light but rigid.

Old 05/11/2014, 08:42 PM   #234
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Karim, I think your build looks amazingly like the renderings, and I enjoy reading updates to your thread. I have to sneak time in to work on my projects too! Thanks for all the documenting you do on your experiments, I suspect more of us are following than you think!

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 09:36 PM   #235
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks Muttley. With so many moving parts in such a small space, I model almost everything I do before actually doing it. It's no so much that the rendering matches my build, it's that I'm trying to build to the rendering.

The tool is pretty easy to use and I have an engineering background. The one thing it can't do well is the rock scape - I gave up on that one. Lavoisier did the best job with that but it's pretty hard.

I know there are viewers but I like to incorporate other people's good ideas too.

Old 05/11/2014, 11:33 PM   #236
Joel_155
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I'll take some more pics.

The T fittings is a graduated overflow inlet. I had originally planned for a beananimal overflow but the surge volume makes it worthless. The surge itself is silent, but the overflow surges and gurgles with bubbles into the sump.

So, the T connectors are actually at slightly different heights. As the surge initiates, they start to incrementally pick up the surge flow until the surge submerges them all. I think the gradual pickup of surge volume into the drains reduces the bubbles and noise significantly.

Maybe it acts as a muffler? Maybe it really helps re divert the flow into more inlets? I just know it works.
This is pretty cool. The biggest issue with surge devices is how they cause fluctuations in the water level of the sump throwing all kinds of issues into the filtration systems and you pretty much solved it. The line of T fittings creates a secondary overflow ( within the overflow ) and diverted it to a seperate section of the sump. This way it doesn't interfere with the normal water flow through the sump. Very cool.

Old 05/11/2014, 11:38 PM   #237
Joel_155
Registered Member

Have you thought about going towards a modified durso for your system? The biggest issue with dursos ( or any air assisted drain ) is that balancing the water flow with the air to silence the system. The idea of the drilled hold at the top of the durso works but the issue is that you would need a way to adjust the amount of air going into the drain to silence the whole system.

If you added a poet on the back of the tank that connected to an host barb to a valve you could control the air going into the system and silence it.

I don't know of this is an issue since the whole system is in the garage but it was a thought on the system.

Again I love the surge overflow manifold.

Old 05/11/2014, 11:48 PM   #238
karimwassef
Registered Member

It's usually silent except during the surge. The water level increases by about 2.5" in 5 seconds. I'll take another look at the durso, but the ideal system would be one that starts silently - not one that reaches steady state silently.

A surge is essentially like starting a system for the first time.

My original plan was to have an actuated drain that was always submerged (like the surge lines) and opens when the surge initiates. I just got cheap and my DIY actuated PVC valve is a little large for a sump pipe.

Last edited by karimwassef; 05/11/2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05/12/2014, 12:16 AM   #239
karimwassef
Registered Member

So... Remembering how a durso works and reviewing my original bean design and combining it with my idea of an actuated valve.....

Maybe, instead of a passive system that depends on a calibrated air valve (durso steady state), or a high water level response siphon (bean's bent airline to above the waterline), I use a dedicated vacuum pump that is initiated when the surge valves turn on to create a water-full chamber in the pipe?

If it works, the few seconds lead it has could initiate a full siphon (or a few of them) just as the surge raises the water level! I'll model it out first.

See? This is innovation inspired by collaboration... Maybe

Old 05/12/2014, 12:32 AM   #240
Joel_155
Registered Member

That could work but it seems complicated. It would have to actuate based on the surge itself. With your surge system I don't think it would be too much to add this into the system.

Old 05/12/2014, 04:14 AM   #241
reefngeek
Registered Member

Incredible. The surge is something I have never seen

reefngeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2014, 08:04 AM   #242
karimwassef
Registered Member

The surge is initiated by my Apex, all I need is to use an outlet in my EB8 to turn on the 3 vacuum pumps just as the linear actuator valves are being opened. All 3 overflows can be pulled from minor overflow drains to full siphons.

If it work, it's no more difficult than 3 vacuum pumps plugged into the same outlet on the Apex with 3 airlines at each overflow pipe.

I'll try it by manually sucking a vacuum on one overflow first. If it works, I'll try to make a vid.

If the siphons can be activated, I might be able to add another 10 gals to the surge! Might need to upsize the buffer sump again... Too greedy.

The sump overflow during the surge is the main source of any bubbles now (not bad, but still there). If it siphons, that would eliminate them.

Old 05/13/2014, 12:42 AM   #243
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's the current state:

photo plumb1_zpsc0a0ef6a.jpg

Here's the new design under consideration:

photo plumb2_zps22e4dcd5.jpg

Old 05/18/2014, 07:12 PM   #244
karimwassef
Registered Member

here's a video of the current overflow ... it's not quiet but it's better than the original BA at surge:

http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/ka...b2e2f.mp4.html

Old 05/18/2014, 08:46 PM   #245
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

That is an awesome amount of water! Are you done, or going to continue experimenting until you get it more quiet?

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2014, 09:18 PM   #246
karimwassef
Registered Member

The only sound and bubbles in my system now are the result of the overflow into the sump.

I'm going to experiment with three actuated overflows:
1. vaccum pump to activate the siphon
2. air solenoid to activate the siphon by blocking the intake air
3. pump to turn a normal overflow into a siphon by force filling it with water

The challenge is turning a low residual flow air filled overflow into a full siphon on demand and quietly AND then turn it back into an air filled overflow on demand and quietly.

If I can dial that in, I could use a BA for the non-surge overflow and run a truly super quiet and 100% bubble free system.

Old 05/19/2014, 12:20 AM   #247
Joel_155
Registered Member

That's pretty cool Karim!

Old 05/20/2014, 11:02 PM   #248
ReneeF
Registered Member

Keep the pictures coming! Where are you at, it's been quite a while since the full tank shot...

It's completed already and your keeping it hush hush aren't you?

ReneeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2014, 05:01 PM   #249
karimwassef
Registered Member

Work is a cruel mistress. Can't get to it until the weekend...

Old 07/18/2014, 02:31 AM   #250
karimwassef
Registered Member

Added salt and sand

photo 219F4CD1-1F55-46FB-B9B4-4D1BCB4B1C94_zpsjddkrorg.jpg