Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2016, 06:54 AM   #1
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Clam looks bleached

I have had these two squasomma clams for three years now.One has started to bleach and the other has great color,my question is what could be causing this.The tank is a 75 gallon,I do 25 gallon water change every two weeks.The lighting is two 250 mhs,and flow is moderate.They are side by side in the tank.Any input will be appreciated. thanks

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2016, 10:10 AM   #2
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Well the clam didn't make it.I have no clue why one would bleach and die and the other looks great.

Unread 08/19/2016, 09:27 AM   #3
blueclam99
Registered Member

If the entire mantle was bleached, it is called generalized bleach which is caused by lack of nitrogen in the system. I guess the healthier one must fight and consume all of nutrient in the tank. I know when a clam get iarger, you have to increase fish waste with monitoring nitrate & po3 level. I keep xl trigger and angels in the huge refuguim for clam tank. The other cause for bleaching could be heavy metal poisoning. But for your case, hmp may not be a issue since the one is doing well. Good luck!

blueclam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 01:24 PM   #4
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the help, I have 2 yellow a sailfin, blue throat trigger, Niger trigger pair of clown fish, a pair of manderins bi color angel and coral beauty in a 75 gallon tank.I will be moving them to a 180 next week.other clan looks great.