Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2018, 05:25 PM   #1
RobertLN
Registered Member

problem with blue bulbs on Ocean Revive LED

Hi All--
So I have 2 Ocean Revive LED boxes (Chinese box LED's) attached under my canopy. I've had them for about 3 years now. Just the other day, one of the two boxes started to have a strange problem. All of the blue bulbs faded to a light purple/lavender color all at the same time. They didn't go completely out and it wasn't just one or two of them that were affected.
Has anyone heard of something like this happening and know what happened? And the $64,000 question is, is it possible to fix it or is that box trash now?
Thanks much! Robert

RobertLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 06:34 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The diodes do fail and can be replaced but it requires a soldering iron and a bit of skill..

Unread 12/31/2018, 07:05 PM   #3
RobertLN
Registered Member

So it could be that just one or two diodes need to be replaced and once that is done, the other blue diodes will return to normal brightness, correct?

I've just watched a couple of videos of people replacing diodes in Chinese black boxes. Doesn't look simple, but also not the hardest thing in the world. In my searches, I noticed that SB Reef Lights sells a PCB board that can be used to replace the board in other Chinese black boxes. I don't know if theirs can work in the Ocean Revive box--I just sent them a note asking if they know if that will work. Their board is about $70. Might be worth it to do that instead of trying to replace some diodes--certainly seems easier to do if the board will fit/work in my light's box. Thanks.

Unread 12/31/2018, 09:34 PM   #4
falconut
Registered Member

I just had to replace a certain wave length of blue diodes in 1 of my OceanRevive S026 fixtures. I had them somewhere around 3-4 years. Only a few of them went out, but I was told to look at them to see if the diodes had black in the middle. All these blue, had the black middle, so I ordered some off of ebay & soldered in new ones. Works like a champ again.

Not sure about the color shift, I would guess it's the diode. You can email their customer service about it. I did when the diode went out & they sent me a diode chart for my fixture, just didn't have any diodes for my fixture to sell me. Worth a shot.

Unread 01/01/2019, 02:17 AM   #5
RobertLN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I just had to replace a certain wave length of blue diodes in 1 of my OceanRevive S026 fixtures. I had them somewhere around 3-4 years. Only a few of them went out, but I was told to look at them to see if the diodes had black in the middle. All these blue, had the black middle, so I ordered some off of ebay & soldered in new ones. Works like a champ again.

Not sure about the color shift, I would guess it's the diode. You can email their customer service about it. I did when the diode went out & they sent me a diode chart for my fixture, just didn't have any diodes for my fixture to sell me. Worth a shot.
So you e-mailed them recently and they responded to you? I was at their website and their link to contact them as well as some other links on their site were not working. I tried to check out their facebook page and didn't see that happening any more, and I looked at their sponsor forum and the last interaction on that forum was in 2016.

Thanks!

Unread 01/01/2019, 05:23 PM   #6
falconut
Registered Member

It was back in June. I emailed "support@oceanrevivellc.com". Give that a try.

Unread 01/06/2019, 03:27 PM   #7
sjkarrow87
Registered Member

Looking at my blues do the leds appear to be out? Black dots in center

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89935F09-C7C4-4607-B7D7-E2DCEEAD3583.jpg (18.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 04CC2EB4-BCA2-4A0F-9889-316579FD7644.jpg (21.7 KB, 8 views)
sjkarrow87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 06:39 PM   #8
outssider
Registered Member

if the diode is bad, it won't light at all.....yours looks as though the lens is burned. Take a very close look ( use a magnifying glass/glasses) when the light is off. If it's burnt, there isn't really anyway to fix it other than replacing the diode.....it may be simpler to just buy another replacement black box ...they get cheaper every day...

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 07:24 PM   #9
sjkarrow87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
if the diode is bad, it won't light at all.....yours looks as though the lens is burned. Take a very close look ( use a magnifying glass/glasses) when the light is off. If it's burnt, there isn't really anyway to fix it other than replacing the diode.....it may be simpler to just buy another replacement black box ...they get cheaper every day...
Thanks, is there a chance if the lens is burned that a risk of fire increases?

I have been looking for a reason to buy a Hydra 52HD

Unread 01/07/2019, 10:30 AM   #10
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkarrow87 View Post
is there a chance if the lens is burned that a risk of fire increases?
no chance...uv diodes have lens problems all the time...

Unread 01/07/2019, 02:43 PM   #11
sjkarrow87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
no chance...uv diodes have lens problems all the time...
Thanks, that eases the wife's concern.

On a side note my Fish Store is getting rid of a of a Gen2 Radion... He said $50 and it's mine, works fine so just bought myself a backup plan.

Unread 01/07/2019, 02:55 PM   #12
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkarrow87 View Post
Thanks, that eases the wife's concern.

On a side note my Fish Store is getting rid of a of a Gen2 Radion... He said $50 and it's mine, works fine so just bought myself a backup plan.
That's a great deal....I hope it hasn't been in constant use since that model came out....Gen 2 are quite a few years old

Tags
blue bulbs, led, ocean revive, problem