Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 02:25 AM   #1
Xxero
Registered Member

Question Do Clams Ever Have Bad Days?

I have had a Derasa for about 3 months now, and the Clam has pretty much doubled in size. Everything has been going great, but for the last 3 or 4 days, it hasn't been extending its mantle quite as much as normal. The mantle does not look pinched and the Clam is not gaping, it's just not as "fluffed out" as it usually is.

* I have inspected the Clam for snails and/or pests, but I do not see anything.
* I have noticed over the last week or so that the Derasa has changed its position about 90 degrees. It seems to be getting more light now because of this position, so I am wondering if its not extending as much because of this?
* There have been no recent changes or new additions, but I have been removing Mushrooms lately. I wonder if the shrooms have been releasing chemicals which have made the Clam unhappy? I am running carbon just in case.

But that's all that I can think of, so I am wondering: Kind of like Leathers, do Clams have bad days? Aside from not extending its mantle as much, the Clam looks perfectly healthy, but I am starting to worry.

Thank you for any input!

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 12:59 AM   #2
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I have a similar problem. My Derasa looks good, but never extends its mantle beyond the shell.

It's about 5 inches long, and has attached to the rock. It attached after only 2 - 3 days.

It's about 2 feet directly under a DE 250 watt halide, so it gets good light. I kept it to the side when I first got it and moved it over the space of four days to the center where the 250 halide shines.

It's in a 90-gallon tank, with lots of water movement, water parameters all good.

When I bought it, the mantle was a drab brown, now it has a very nice iridescent blue striping. It's very alert, but never seems to open widely.

Is this normal?

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Xxero
Registered Member

I'm glad that you chimed in because I was getting ready to answer my own question.

I believe that Clams can have bad days. I recently removed some rock and rearranged some others, and I believe this is what caused my Derasa to retract a little and show signs of distress. It is back to normal now, almost like nothing ever happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
When I bought it, the mantle was a drab brown, now it has a very nice iridescent blue striping. It's very alert, but never seems to open widely.

Is this normal?
It's funny that you say this because when I purchased my Derasa, it was drab and kind of a Taupe-ish brown. Now it is purple with deep blue striping. As far as not opening very widely, I have noticed with mine that it really seems to prefer a soft, steady water flow. If the flow stays like this, my Clam will stay relaxed and open up as normal. But if the flow changes to hard and more turbulent, the Clam won't open nearly as much. I think it's all about finding that sweet spot with the water flow and keeping it that way.

Unread 01/27/2018, 02:14 AM   #4
Xxero
Registered Member

How big/old is yours, fishguy?

Unread 01/29/2018, 10:00 AM   #5
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I bought my Derasa about four weeks ago. It's about 5 inches long. Seems to be doing well - looks nice.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote