Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2016, 05:11 PM   #1351
SPS_77493
Registered Member

Jeep is rad.

Becareful don't make it attention grabber you know you live in h town.

SPS_77493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 11:07 AM   #1352
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

Congrats on the Jeep. It can get just as addicting upgrsding that thing as buying stuff for a reef tank.

My advice is that if you ever go soft-top, or naked, get a tuffy lock-box. the console lock/latch is made of plastic... which makes since haha

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 02:57 PM   #1353
mlb75
Premium Member

First I've got to say that it's tanks like yours that keep me in this hobby, its great to see a passion for doing things right and getting the results from that dedication.

My question would be IRT the LED lighting do you think the third fixture is necessary on your tank or just a nice to have? I've got a 300DD and am going through a complete revamp and have been on the fence back and forth about swapping my existing ATI powermodule (60" 8 bulb T5 only) for a set of Radions. My question is do you think three would do it or should I be looking at 4? If I do the Radion's it will be gen4 pro's, I'd considered gen3 pros but the gen 4 stuff seems like a big enough improvement in intensity and spread to justify the 4's. I don't have a ton of rock in the tank as I like to have room all around the perimeter so I don't need a ton of light at the edges but do want to go back to a sps dominate tank with say 65% SPS the rest LPS etc.

TIA

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 06:19 PM   #1354
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb75 View Post
First I've got to say that it's tanks like yours that keep me in this hobby, its great to see a passion for doing things right and getting the results from that dedication.

My question would be IRT the LED lighting do you think the third fixture is necessary on your tank or just a nice to have? I've got a 300DD and am going through a complete revamp and have been on the fence back and forth about swapping my existing ATI powermodule (60" 8 bulb T5 only) for a set of Radions. My question is do you think three would do it or should I be looking at 4? If I do the Radion's it will be gen4 pro's, I'd considered gen3 pros but the gen 4 stuff seems like a big enough improvement in intensity and spread to justify the 4's. I don't have a ton of rock in the tank as I like to have room all around the perimeter so I don't need a ton of light at the edges but do want to go back to a sps dominate tank with say 65% SPS the rest LPS etc.

TIA
Thanks, Mike.

With my tank, I definitely wouldn't want less than 3.
If the tank wasn't so big front to back, like maybe 24" or less, I could hang the lights the other direction and then get away with just two.

You can always try two and then see how it goes with your setup.
Ecotech would be more than happy to sell you a third sometime down the road.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 08:21 PM   #1355
mlb75
Premium Member

Thanks I'm pretty sure 2 wouldn't work I'm on the fence whether I need 3 or 4 to cover the 72"x36" footprint. I'd like to think I could get away with three since they say they're good for a 3'x3' footprint but because of the footprint of my tank I'd position them the same way you have. That being the case not sure if I wouldn't need two over the center opening of the tank with one over each end of would one over each opening be enough, they say it will but I'm on the fence but at the same time don't want to spend money I don't need to...

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 09:11 PM   #1356
biecacka
Registered Member

Mike you will want four to start. Then likely 6 when things grow. My opinion.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 09:19 PM   #1357
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Mike you will want four to start. Then likely 6 when things grow. My opinion.

Corey
Lot of up front cash with depreciation to take into account if you bought too many and re-sell. Go back a few pages and look at the light spread, then how high they are mounted, and finally how 'mini has them set up with intensity. That might help you determine how many to start with. Just a guess if you do go with off the shelf products.

Personally if you are going off the shelf with any of the pre-package solutions / vendors then I'd start with one. I mean you are 100% sure of buying one, then start with one, dial it in with regards to intensity, mounting height, and all that other stuff like controllers, ramp up, down, duration, and what not. Get it the way you want, then if 100% sure, buy the proper amount.

You might save a couple bucks (in this case 750 at a minimum). Besides, they will always gladly sell you more if the need arise

Edit: Nice photos D'

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 10:13 PM   #1358
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb75 View Post
Thanks I'm pretty sure 2 wouldn't work I'm on the fence whether I need 3 or 4 to cover the 72"x36" footprint. I'd like to think I could get away with three since they say they're good for a 3'x3' footprint but because of the footprint of my tank I'd position them the same way you have. That being the case not sure if I wouldn't need two over the center opening of the tank with one over each end of would one over each opening be enough, they say it will but I'm on the fence but at the same time don't want to spend money I don't need to...
Sorry, i missed the 300DD in your post.
Like Biecacka says, you'll want 4 at a minimum. For sps heavy. Hung front to back like mine.
My tank is only 47x31 for comparison.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 11/23/2016, 02:21 AM   #1359
Heuristic
Registered Member

Wow, I've spent the last few hours going through this thread from page 1 until now. It inspired me to register for this site. Incredible build.

I laughed out loud when you paused and came back with a dumb bell

I know that I can't hold you being a #TeamNikon against you, but what lens are you shooting with?

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 07:22 AM   #1360
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
Wow, I've spent the last few hours going through this thread from page 1 until now. It inspired me to register for this site. Incredible build.

I laughed out loud when you paused and came back with a dumb bell

I know that I can't hold you being a #TeamNikon against you, but what lens are you shooting with?
haha, thanks!

That reminds me that I have an update on the cheato.
It's seems as though it had reached it's peak around the time of that video or a little after.
It has since been breaking down and sending my skimmer in to a bit of a frenzy.
The tank looks good, nitrates are still low at around 2 ppm.
But my latest (2nd) ICP test showed that p04 has sky rocketed, which makes sense.

Not sure what to make of it, so just observing for now.
Best case, the cheato rebounds at some point and starts growing again.
Worst case, I take out the remaining and start with a fresh ball.
It's been several weeks already.

If I do decide to remove the remaining cheato I'll go ahead and add the divider to the sump to separate cheato from other macros and begin trimming as it grows too big.

Unread 11/23/2016, 08:38 AM   #1361
d2mini
Registered Member

Oh, and on the nikon I use the Nikon 105mm macro.

Unread 11/23/2016, 06:44 PM   #1362
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Does Mr. Naoko's Wrasse keep those colors or will it dull out later in life??

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2016, 01:30 PM   #1363
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
haha, thanks!

That reminds me that I have an update on the cheato.
It's seems as though it had reached it's peak around the time of that video or a little after.
It has since been breaking down and sending my skimmer in to a bit of a frenzy.
The tank looks good, nitrates are still low at around 2 ppm.
But my latest (2nd) ICP test showed that p04 has sky rocketed, which makes sense.

Not sure what to make of it, so just observing for now.
Best case, the cheato rebounds at some point and starts growing again.
Worst case, I take out the remaining and start with a fresh ball.
It's been several weeks already.

If I do decide to remove the remaining cheato I'll go ahead and add the divider to the sump to separate cheato from other macros and begin trimming as it grows too big.
Hey Dennis.. Hope your cheato rebounds.. And the new additions are awesome.. I wanted to share a pic of the tub progress with you.. Lol, you said I was insane, and you just might be right.. It's all the way down of course. And that's in a 40 gallon stock tub, 2 weeks growth from a ball about softball size.. It took a little bit, and mine did like yours because of the scrubber, but it's back in business now.. And of course, the display is crystal clear.. It's actually longer now, and I had to basically roll it over to the left.. It's covering about half of the tub completely..

From note 5.. rip note 7

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2016, 08:11 PM   #1364
Scorpius
Stick Head

My Chaeto used to do the same thing. Grow really well and then die off hard. Finally figured out I wasn't removing enough of it fast enough. Harvest it more and leave less in your refugium. I also dose iron once a month.

Unread 11/25/2016, 09:23 PM   #1365
marleesan
Registered Member

Beautiful tank! What's your current stock list for fish?

marleesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2016, 09:38 PM   #1366
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
Hey Dennis.. Hope your cheato rebounds.. And the new additions are awesome.. I wanted to share a pic of the tub progress with you.. Lol
lol, yeah.... you cheato crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
My Chaeto used to do the same thing. Grow really well and then die off hard. Finally figured out I wasn't removing enough of it fast enough. Harvest it more and leave less in your refugium. I also dose iron once a month.
Good to know, thanks!
I think I'm gonna do a clean-out and start fresh in there.
Just been crazy busy. Haven't even checked to see if any of the other macros still exist.
I'll go back to trimming. Had to see what would happen though! Fun little experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleesan View Post
Beautiful tank! What's your current stock list for fish?
Thanks!

3 Wyoming White Clown juveniles
3 Lyretail Anthias
1 Naoko's Wrasse
1 Springeri Damsel
1 Squaretail Bristletooth Tang

Unread 11/26/2016, 02:11 PM   #1367
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Dennis, did you get a response from Trition on what to do with the cheato? I thought it was suppose to break down release nutrients and then re-absorb them to grow again?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2016, 02:14 PM   #1368
Heuristic
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, and on the nikon I use the Nikon 105mm macro.
Awesome, thanks. I'm trying to figure out what lens I want to get to help take better pics of fish. I have a nifty-fifty that's pretty good, but it's limited.

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2016, 02:21 PM   #1369
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Dennis, did you get a response from Trition on what to do with the cheato? I thought it was suppose to break down release nutrients and then re-absorb them to grow again?
No word from triton.
I expected some die-off, but this is more than I'm comfortable with, especially with the p04 being off the charts high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
Awesome, thanks. I'm trying to figure out what lens I want to get to help take better pics of fish. I have a nifty-fifty that's pretty good, but it's limited.
Get the Tamron 90mm. I used that one for years. Probably has 95% of the optical quality of the Nikon 105 and just has more plastic/less weather protection, and comes in a non-vibration reduction version which you don't needs and makes it cheaper.

Unread 11/27/2016, 04:16 PM   #1370
d2mini
Registered Member

So in order to get a handle on the p04 spike and be able to grow more than cheato I made some changes today.
I completely cleaned out the sump and tossed at least 95% of the chaeto.
Kept just a small ball, and the only other macro that survived was the red Bryothamnion.

So i got some egg crate and created a divider.
Cheato in the back, other macros up front.
Will see how this works out.

And the p04... probably from the half inch thick floor of detritus.
Who needs Miracle Mud?!

Unread 11/27/2016, 04:40 PM   #1371
Scorpius
Stick Head

I cleaned out my sump as well today. Even with filter socks I was amazed and ashamed at all the detritus in my refugium. I removed almost all my live rock from the sump and hid my Siporax in a shaded area by my filter sock to avoid algae growth. I also trimmed my Chaeto way back and I still can't get rid of the cotton candy algae growing in it.

Live and learn!!!

Unread 11/27/2016, 05:11 PM   #1372
biecacka
Registered Member

I was curious about any debris that made it to the bottom of your giant ball, Dennis. Glad you cleaned it out and got that gunk up. I'm sure you will notice a difference. I always wondered how that would be managed.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 08:41 PM   #1373
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Really nice tanks Dennis!!! I love the Elos tanks. I have owned both a midi and a mini elos. When I grow up some day I will buy a large elos lol.

Do you have any pics of your Nano?
I am going to put my fluval spec V in my office here soon. Watch out for my build in the nano reef section.

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2016, 08:57 AM   #1374
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
Really nice tanks Dennis!!! I love the Elos tanks. I have owned both a midi and a mini elos. When I grow up some day I will buy a large elos lol.

Do you have any pics of your Nano?
I am going to put my fluval spec V in my office here soon. Watch out for my build in the nano reef section.
haha, thanks.

Nano...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2536567

Unread 11/28/2016, 11:12 PM   #1375
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
And the p04... probably from the half inch thick floor of detritus.
Who needs Miracle Mud?!
Sump detritus... that is why I still like my filter socks.
Many say they are a NO3 source, but it only takes 5 minutes, maybe twice a week, to replace them and it keeps your sump clean.
Good luck with the macro algae!!

janci is offline   Reply With Quote