Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2018, 11:01 AM   #1
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Floor Support - 80g

This should be a quick one (I hope), but I'm reaching out as I'm in the middle of ordering a roughly 80 gallon system + 20g sump, and while from reading every other thread asking this same question, I should be comforted that my floor can support the tank, it's always reassuring to have someone look at your situation (even if it is the same question that everyone else has asked).

Please see the below picture and let me know if there are any red flags about putting a tank on the above floor section, parallel to the wall (probably 3-4" from the wall), which should be fine on the perpendicular to the main floor beams. There are also supports mid-beam that were installed with the new tile floor in the kitchen to prevent sagging floors from cracking the grout. I think that was probably more than needed, but it's good to stay safe. I could also take Ca1ore's advice and just put posts directly under the tank too to be extra extra safe, but I'd rather not if possible (and/or redundant).

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by ReefWreak; 03/12/2018 at 11:23 AM.
ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:17 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

No pics reef.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:24 AM   #3
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Better? Crap, now the surprise is ruined! Though Rakie and a few others haven't seen it yet. I'm working with Soulpatch on figuring out lights and flow options...

Unread 03/12/2018, 11:28 AM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

Lights! I will never do another LED setup. After seeing the difference between LED's and T5's, I will always do T5's now, with supplemental LED's. Can't go wrong with a nice ATI setup with a couple reefbrite strips.

Tank is going where the current jack is? If so< i would think it would be fine. Now that I have my 80 up and running, I don't think I needed the extra support either. If anything it's piece of mind for me.

Unread 03/12/2018, 11:35 AM   #5
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Tank is going where the current jack is? If so< i would think it would be fine. Now that I have my 80 up and running, I don't think I needed the extra support either. If anything it's piece of mind for me.
The tank would actually go against the wall. That post is about 4-6' away from the wall, and there are two of them holding what looks like a 4x4 wood beam with plywood on top of it (tough to tell the distance from the picture; I recall hearing that solid wood beams are bad long term because it warps and throws off weight distribution on the posts? not my house though, as long as it doesn't mess with the tank). The tank would be 3-4" from the wall.

Also, clearly you've been talking with soul about lights... I am too... We'll see, but I'll keep it in another thread/PMs.

Unread 03/12/2018, 11:47 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

If the house is fairly old, any warping has already occurred. I wouldn't worry about it one bit as that jack is fairly close to where you want the tank. It will offer plenty of support.

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:15 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There is no problem at all putting an 80G tank on that floor...
No bracing needed..

Enjoy..

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:21 PM   #8
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks mcgyvr! Was hoping to snag you, ericarenee, or ca1ore for some warm and fuzzy confirmation.

Any time someome talks to me about the floor weight issue, I remind them what a couch full of big dudes weighs. And I know deflection is the issue, but with the mid-floor support, it should be an issue at all.

Unread 03/12/2018, 05:35 PM   #9
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Thanks mcgyvr! Was hoping to snag you, ericarenee, or ca1ore for some warm and fuzzy confirmation.

Any time someome talks to me about the floor weight issue, I remind them what a couch full of big dudes weighs. And I know deflection is the issue, but with the mid-floor support, it should be an issue at all.
I totally agree with mgyvr.
I only disagree with cal1ore because he likes it

Just do not tell him

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 04:46 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
I totally agree with mgyvr.
I only disagree with cal1ore because he likes it

Just do not tell him
He does seem to just ask for it sometimes..