Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2020, 11:41 AM   #1
drstevemiller
Registered Member

white stool/poop

Hi there

I've had 2 lyretail anthias in quarantine since 11/22 and they continue to have white stool/poop dispite multiple different treatment methods including:

- Cupramine
- metronidazole (as API General Cure, as well as Metro which I mixed with food as well as added direct to the water)
- Prizaquantel (as API General Cure, as well as PraziPro being used as a dip and added direct to the tank water)
- Melafix
- Paraguard (as a dip)

All water perameters are fine and they are still in a quarantine tank with no medications running. They look well, are acting fine, and eating great.

I don't want to add them to my main display tank as I know that this is an indication of internal parasite/bacterial disease, however I don't know what else to do treatment wise. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

drstevemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Sweeper13
Registered Member

Ill try to add a few things and what I have used. Im no expert and tried different things like you. First how many days did you feed them and did you use Focus to bind the meds? From my understanding API on food isn't recommended BUT Ive done it also and so have other peeps. That info is on this forum or other fish forums.

Ive been using this lately..Dr.G's De-Wormer Caviar 8oz, Refrigerated Liquid and they sell a mysis shrimp I think. Cost is about 25$ active ingredient is Prazi..

For me Ive noticed my Mappa filling out more after treatment, I cant confirm his poop before or after. Alot of times with puffers you can look at the stomach and you will know if there are issues. So Ive started feeding all my fish this way that come in. Ill toss on shrimp and let it soak for about 20 minutes and then feed for 10 days. The last 2 fish in qt where fed this way. Pink Tail Trigger and a Narrow Line Puffer, poop looked normal on the Pink Tail this afternoon. I cant confirm what there poop was like previously, I just know nothing was hanging from there butts during and after QT.

Here is a recipe I found on one of the forums.

To prepare the food, take about 1 tablespoon of food, either thawed frozen food or dry food, and add one scoop of Metronidazole and 1-2 scoops of Focus, then add enough Garlic Guard to moisten the food and mix well. Feed as much as your fish will consume in a few minutes.

Metronidazole is a great medication for internal and external parasites. It also contains some antibacterial properties as well to prevent secondary infections. Metronidazole is best administered in a medicated food mix with Focus and GarlicGuard. You typically will use 1-2 scoops of Metronidazole, with 1-2 scoops of Focus, and soak in GarlicGuard for 15 mins. Feed this daily for at least 3 weeks. This is what we feed all new fish that we receive at Seachem

1 tablespoon food source (frozen works best, but pellets can also be used)
1 measure Metroplex (Seachem. Metroplex)
1 measure Focus (Seachem. Focus) (to bind the Metronplex to the food)
Soak mix in GarlicGuard (Seachem. GarlicGuard) to boost immune support and attract the fish to the medicated food source. You can also use a bit of RO/DI or tank water instead

GL

Sweeper13 is offline   Reply With Quote