Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2019, 04:30 AM   #1
Stevolough
Registered Member

Cycling with dr tims

I completed my cycle with dr tims method. My ammonia and nitrites are zero but my nitrates are off the scale even after two twenty five percent water changes. What did I miss?

Stevolough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2019, 01:54 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You really didnt miss anything...
Thats totally normal/typical of someone new to this hobby..

Many seem to learn that cycling that way is how it should be done and often overdose on the ammonia (over use it) and end up with high nitrate levels..

Continue water changes..A 50% change will reduce nitrates by 50%..

Unread 09/22/2019, 01:57 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Knowing more details about the rock/sand/amount of ammonia you used and your future plans for the tank will allow better answers/directions

Unread 09/22/2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Stevolough
Registered Member

I appreciate the response. Thou I’m no expert I’m not a novice either. I followed there plan. 4 drops per gallon when there plan said so. Tested when they say so. I expected some nitrates but not so high. I have a reefer 425 with 100pounds of vase rock and two inch sand bed. Cycle went according to there plan. At the end they don’t mention checking for nitrates at all. They simply say do a partial water change. Less experienced people might not know to even check nitrates. They never even mention it.

Unread 09/22/2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Mcgyvr is correct about continuing water changes until nitrates read low.
The 4 drops per gal. makes approx 2ppm of ammonium chloride and then one does not want to add anymore period.......... until testing daily shows ammonia dropping & nitrites climbing which can take a week or longer, yes their instructions are a bit vague about stopping additions they do expect you to monitor the water daily, then add as needed so it never goes over 5ppm. I can even see where one might accidently keep adding 4 drops per gal. a day and really get an ammonia overdose going from the vague instructions tho im not saying you did that. The Dr. Tims site does however explain all this in detail from start to lowering doses & maintaining ammonia lvls. that are consumed in a 24hr. period constantly until you add your fish livestock to take the place of the ammonia then stop all usage, this keeps your bacteria growth large to be able to handle immediate bioload within reason. It took me 2 50% water changes to lower my nitrates to an acceptable lvl. & i had no issues at all afterwards so just change that water some more & you will be fine. Would be nice if the product came with in depth detailed instructions covering everything but it dosen't have to go to the site for that ill certainly agree on that.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2019, 06:17 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevolough View Post
I appreciate the response. Thou I’m no expert I’m not a novice either. I followed there plan. 4 drops per gallon when there plan said so. Tested when they say so. I expected some nitrates but not so high. I have a reefer 425 with 100pounds of vase rock and two uch sand bed. Cycle went according to there plan. At the end they don’t mention checking for nitrates at all. They simply say do a partial water change. Less experienced people might not know to even check nitrates. They never even mention it.
Their "plan" isn't one I would ever recommend and you are right is lacking in detailed instructions and user education.. Its just excessive IMO and often requires extensive water changes at the end..

Dosing to 0.5ppm is more than sufficient and doing so once is all thats needed...
I only cycle via simple/moderate ghost feeding with flake food..

Did you use "live sand"? Its often loaded with dead/decaying organic matter that can cause elevated nitrates also..

Unread 09/23/2019, 04:14 AM   #7
Stevolough
Registered Member

No it was regular dry reef sand.

Unread 09/24/2019, 07:09 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Watching Dr Tim's video might help as well.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 12:30 PM   #9
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Hobby level nitrate test kits are not accurate measuring Nitrates.
I bet Nitrates are showing around 80+ ppm but in reality they are only around 20-30 ppm.
Hobby level test kits use a reduction method (nitrates to nitrites) to calculate Nitrates. This reduction is not effective so thus showing high nitrates.
A few 25% water changes will put you back on track.

Here is the math
1ppm NH3/NH4 gives you 2.7ppm NO2 and 3.6ppm NO3.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 04:33 AM   #10
Stevolough
Registered Member

I did a 50% change on Sunday. Still very high nitrates. Also confirmed the test with the lfs. Getting more salt to try again. Put my fish and corals in temporary setup while I set this tank up because I thought it would be quicker. I should have stuck with the old way. And 50 % water changes are a pain.

Unread 09/26/2019, 04:36 AM   #11
Stevolough
Registered Member

I don’t feel comfortable putting corals in till I see a low reading.

Unread 09/26/2019, 08:04 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevolough View Post
I don’t feel comfortable putting corals in till I see a low reading.
And rightfully so
Corals require proper (and stable) parameters for success..

A new tank and certainly one going through large water change is absolutely not stable.

I wouldn't recommend anyone add corals to any newly cycled tank regardless of nitrate levels anyways.. The new tank uglies that occur post cycle are often enough to cause coral demise due to excessive algae/diatom growth,etc... and methods used to address those.

Unread 09/26/2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Stevolough
Registered Member

Thanks again

Unread 09/26/2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Stevolough
Registered Member

The corals will be ok in the temporary tank, there aren’t that many but the fish need more space. I would like to move them as soon as I can. At least a couple to reduce stress.