Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2011, 09:40 PM   #26
Staaan
The Maaan

Krylon Fusion Black works great! Reef safe too.. painted my drains for a slicker look.

Great thread... definitely will be following!

You coming to the next meeting Sal?

Camera: Canon Rebel T1i

Lenses: Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron SP Macro 90mm f/2.8

Current Tank Info: 75g Rimless w/ 40g Sump | DIY LEDs | (2) MP10ES | BM NAC-9 Protein Skimmer
Staaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 10:15 PM   #27
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post
Wish I had some of those DIY skills awsome job! Looking forward to the rest of the build!
Thanx bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staaan View Post
Krylon Fusion Black works great! Reef safe too.. painted my drains for a slicker look.

Great thread... definitely will be following!

You coming to the next meeting Sal?
Cool think I'm defiantly going that route, way too much purple drip to ignore
I would like to make the next meeting, gotta check when it is.
Lately my weekends have been filled with wedding preparations so it's been tuff between that and getting to work on the tank. But if Im free I will def come down, I had a great time at the last one

BrklynArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 06:40 AM   #28
DrHarryLopez
One Happy Reefer

Freaken awesome!

Current Tank Info: 180g reef, 55g Frag, 40g refuge, 75g sump, 2 Ati 250 Bubble masters, Wavebox, stream2, MP40's, blueline HD 100 main pump
DrHarryLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 10:33 AM   #29
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Thanks doc.....getting some criticism on the plumbing so i might be re working some stuff
need to run a test first

Unread 10/13/2011, 06:53 PM   #30
BrklynArch
Registered Member

So i reworked some stuff based on some issues that might have arose. The portion of horizontal pvc and 90's might have given me a back-flow issues and caused problems with the siphon starting up. So i reworked them and used some Spa flex. This is what i got

Also got around to painting the back

Unread 10/13/2011, 06:55 PM   #31
BrklynArch
Registered Member

This Frankenstein'd thing is my return line

Finally a water test to test out all the plumbing and no leaks!!!

Unread 10/13/2011, 07:07 PM   #32
BrklynArch
Registered Member

With the exception of blacking out the overflow with some acrylic i picked up...im pretty much done. Time to move this guy out of the parents garage and into my apartment about 3 miles away. Buddy of mine is lending me his van this weekend, and i already warned my brothers their assistance will be required....lol
To be honest im scared as hell somethings going to happen to the tank while transporting it. Not just in the van but carrying it up about 12 stairs from the sidewalk then up a full story to the second floor.Im also keeping my fingers crossed my landlord isnt around when we bring it in...lol
So Saturdays the big day! next group of pics will be from its final resting place...unless i move at some point, or it falls through the floor

Unread 10/13/2011, 08:49 PM   #33
DrHarryLopez
One Happy Reefer

I'm sure everything will work out well.

Current Tank Info: 180g reef, 55g Frag, 40g refuge, 75g sump, 2 Ati 250 Bubble masters, Wavebox, stream2, MP40's, blueline HD 100 main pump
Unread 10/17/2011, 07:48 AM   #34
OzoneParkGuy
Registered Member

Your a worrisome wort Sal!! LOL.. Everything looks great!!! Great job. I'm sure everything is going to work out fine. BTW.. hope the clubs invited to your wedding. Bring a bucket cause we will be throwing fish at ya instead of rice!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!! GL with the move!

Unread 10/17/2011, 09:35 AM   #35
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneParkGuy View Post
Your a worrisome wort Sal!! LOL.. Everything looks great!!! Great job. I'm sure everything is going to work out fine. BTW.. hope the clubs invited to your wedding. Bring a bucket cause we will be throwing fish at ya instead of rice!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!! GL with the move!
Lol...i do worry 2 much....but everything worked out fine.
That would be great walking out of the church and catching a yellow tang across the face lol
the move went without a hitch. It wasn't easy, me and my 2 brothers had to lug it up 2 flights of stairs in a narrow hallway. No damages so thats good. I will post pictures later on tonight. I have a bunch of little things to do to the stand still, and i have to level everything a bit better, my floor is way off.
I spray painted the plumbing w krylon, it worked great with the ridged PVC but not so great with the spa flex. it never really dries and left a tacky sticky finish on it, so i just wrapped it in electrical tape and called it a day....looks pretty good tho....so if anyone is looking into spray painting spaflex save yourself the time and just wrap that sucker in electrical tape.
once all thats done im going to focus my attention onto a lighting solution. I def want to go with led...but im on the fence with a diy or a store bought option.(radions look cool and i like the full spectrum but mucho $).

Unread 10/17/2011, 11:05 AM   #36
OzoneParkGuy
Registered Member

LOL..... glad things went well.

My own opine is if your not in a hurry to get things going on with the tank, would be to go with your own DIY Led fixture. I've been running them now for 6 months total but 2 months since the rebuild and find it worth every penny because I can dial into whatever lighting combo I want. 10k, 14k, 20k or even a 30k look and need not worry about bulb replacement. They are cost efficent in saving electrical costs... However if you do decide to do it yourself, make sure you include some type of actinic suppliment for the dusk dawn effect. Something I forgot to include when I built my own.
So when I upgrade, which will be very soon. I will work out the details.
As far as color and growth, they have responded well to the LED's but you must acclimate them to the LED's 1st by starting them out at the bottom of your tank or just dial the LED's down. I have no complaints and I'm glad I invested in them. Nothing better than doing it yourself. Great job you did!!

Unread 10/22/2011, 09:16 AM   #37
DA FISHERMAN
Registered Member

Wowzers ..........love the rimless look. And the work you have put into that setup
Is Beutiful :-)

Current Tank Info: My tank has only been up and running for 3month post cycling, have a frogspawn,mushroom,Duncan, and two clownfish.
DA FISHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 02:32 PM   #38
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FISHERMAN View Post
Wowzers ..........love the rimless look. And the work you have put into that setup
Is Beutiful :-)
Thanks man! i appreciate it
a fellow brooklyn reefer i see

Unread 10/27/2011, 02:50 PM   #39
BrklynArch
Registered Member

a small update....finally got the stand in its final location and the sump more or less setup

Built a little skimmer stand ...not sure if im loving it yet tho might re do it using only eggcrate

Just a tip if anyone is intersested....if your trying to pry braided nylon onto a barb fitting and you use a heat gun to warm up the tube and a bunch of elbow grease remember to check your hand periodically because this will happen

apparently it caused a friction blister hurt like a mutha! one on my finger and the other on the opposite hand right in the web btwn thumb and pointer finger...
next up is leveling the stand....making some kind of light fixture hanging thing, prob going to use 1/2 electrical conduit and bend it.
I have a bunch of goodies coming in the mail this coming week
4 bags of 40lbs special grade reef sand...some reef crystal salt
and 2 radions.....which i spent alot of time thinking about but the peace of mind of a warranty and ecotechs customer service sold me. I have no experience with wiring and felt i would end up burning down the house if i went diy.....i may still give it a shot in the future and make a fixture for a future frag tank or my office nano.
if all goes well im hoping to see some water by this weekend

Unread 10/27/2011, 08:05 PM   #40
diverrad
Registered Member

Really NICE build, I'm very interested in you radion experince please post your thoughts on them when you have them set up. I'm seriously thinking of getting them myself.

Current Tank Info: 40g cube All SPS
diverrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 08:05 PM   #41
OzoneParkGuy
Registered Member

Whooo hooo... Congrats!!

On a side note. Wingo does DIY workshops in Qns, building LED fixtures for future reference.

Unread 10/28/2011, 08:07 AM   #42
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverrad View Post
Really NICE build, I'm very interested in you radion experince please post your thoughts on them when you have them set up. I'm seriously thinking of getting them myself.
Yes i def will....im trying to figure out the best way to hang them at the moment. might use 1/2 conduit attachd to the stand and bend it...or drill into the ceiling and go that route. I think ceiling mounted is the nicest option but my GF doesn't want me to put a hole in our ceiling.
I want to get the lights set up before i shim and level the tank and fill her up
so im going to be staring at an empty tank for a few more days

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneParkGuy View Post
Whooo hooo... Congrats!!

On a side note. Wingo does DIY workshops in Qns, building LED fixtures for future reference.
Thanks OPG....i dont know Wingo? but good to know if i ever try my hand at it

Unread 10/28/2011, 08:40 AM   #43
diverrad
Registered Member

you may want to look in to the AI rail system Jeramy fro premium aquatics said they fir the rails

Unread 10/28/2011, 09:33 AM   #44
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverrad View Post
you may want to look in to the AI rail system Jeramy fro premium aquatics said they fir the rails
Yeah, I looked into them a few days ago....they look like they would work well if you were going to mount the lights perpendicular to the length of the tank, but i think i want to mount them parallel to get the best spread i can with minimal amount of units. And even if i was going to mount them perpendicular i would still need a solution to hang the rails with no? unless i use the feet but not sure how high they go
Im prob going to go ceiling mounted with a metal strip connecting the 2 units like the guy in the ad has them. (pretty dumb that you need to diy a solution to mount multiple units...and on top of that they feature a photo of it in the ads like its an out of the box solution.)

Unread 10/28/2011, 10:00 AM   #45
diverrad
Registered Member

here's a pic how i have my LEDs mounted the legs it comes with are 5" the distance between the rails is 9" I have mine just sitting on top of the rails, since the radions are not as wide one solution would be to make simple cross bars from a strip a aluminum.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 10/28/2011, 10:08 AM   #46
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Very cool.....i like how they sit on top looks like they can be adjusted left and right if need be. i wonder if i would have a problem using the legs directly on the glass?
Rimless looks cool, but sometimes i wish i had a reg rimmed aquarium makes it so much easier to mount a canopy or hide a screen covering etc.

Unread 10/28/2011, 10:13 AM   #47
diverrad
Registered Member

how thick is the glass on the rim ? the legs are 3/4 of an inch wide with an outside lip to keep them in place also the legs slide on the bars to any position you like and can be mounter reverse so the lip is on the inside for stronger support.

Unread 10/28/2011, 09:16 PM   #48
DrHarryLopez
One Happy Reefer

Nice Diverad! I like. When you starting a thread? Interested in checking out your setup

Unread 11/22/2011, 10:57 AM   #49
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Been awhile since i updated.....heres where i am as of today
Got Lights!!!!!!!!!

Went threw hell trying to get them hung......fashioned a few 1/4" aluminum strips but i was getting too much deflection and it didnt look right, so i bit the bullet and just used 2 separate hanging kits

Unread 11/22/2011, 11:02 AM   #50
BrklynArch
Registered Member

also added sand and did my initial aquascape

another set back was the DIY rocks i has made.....a bunch ended up way to bulky and massive, didnt look right and i was worried about the play sand i used leaking PO4 over time....so i went with @ 100lbs of Marco dry rock...which i think looks awsome and stacks together super easy

Tags
100 gallon, beananimal, diy stand, radion led, rimless