Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2017, 10:16 PM   #76
Darthv247
Registered Member

+1 for keeping them seperate and not changing the design

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 03:43 AM   #77
janci
Registered Member

Lots of useful information on this thread.
I received the 16" Shadow overflow and it came with 2 180 degree bends with both a hole in the top.
From what I understand there should be only 1 with a hole (open channel)
Should I blank one of them or is this the way it supposed to be?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...4&d=1492940530

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-23_134052.jpg (24.7 KB, 97 views)
janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 09:55 AM   #78
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
Lots of useful information on this thread.
I received the 16" Shadow overflow and it came with 2 180 degree bends with both a hole in the top.
From what I understand there should be only 1 with a hole (open channel)
Should I blank one of them or is this the way it supposed to be?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...4&d=1492940530

I asked Synergy this question and they said they have tested and this works best with their system. Which is a bit modified from the original bean animal.

notenoughtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 10:12 AM   #79
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughtanks View Post
I asked Synergy this question and they said they have tested and this works best with their system. Which is a bit modified from the original bean animal.
Thanks. Will not ask them again than.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 09:16 PM   #80
stormrider27
Registered Member

How long are you all cutting the PVC pipes inside of the external box to obtain the best results?

Thanks!

stormrider27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 02:18 PM   #81
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

The holes in the U bends are to help prevent air locking. But if you do it this way, then the open channel does have to be slightly higher than the siphon otherwise both will try to be siphons and screw up the balance. My 26" modular marine comes next week in preparation for a move from the current 265 to a 400.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 10:00 AM   #82
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider27 View Post
How long are you all cutting the PVC pipes inside of the external box to obtain the best results?

Thanks!

I have them setup as high as possible to minimize the noise of water flowing from the internal box to the external box. For me, this is the loudest part of the system.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 04:42 PM   #83
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthv247 View Post
+1 for keeping them seperate and not changing the design
It doesn't make any difference at all.

My return and skimmer turn off every time I feed. I sometimes feed before I leave the house, and the return pump is controlled by apex feed mode and is 5 minutes. I don't even bother staying home until it turns back on.

BlueRoofTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 10:43 PM   #84
GQsmooth
Registered Member

I pretty much dialed my system in, but my level in my tank is about 1cm below the black trim, and it's bugging the **** out of me. How do I raise the DT level? Can I make my main siphon drain a little higher? Or do I have to increase my return pump output?

Last edited by GQsmooth; 07/26/2017 at 04:57 PM.
GQsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 07:45 PM   #85
Barcvision
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the great post. None of the pictures are showing on my end though is there any way you could send them to me? I have an external (ghost type) overflow and have limited space to work with in the box and the water enters pretty low leaving little room for my main siphon and open channel Dow turned elbows. I appreciate any of you knowledge!

Barcvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 10:12 PM   #86
svandive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
I pretty much dialed my system in, but my level in my tank is about 1cm below the black trim, and it's bugging the **** out of me. How do I raise the DT level? Can I make my main siphon drain a little higher? Or do I have to increase my return pump output?
I’d love to know the answer to this one myself. My 20” shadow works great but I need to raise the water in the rear box to drown out the trickling of water through the bulkheads.

Thoughts....

Thanks

svandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 09:18 AM   #87
GROSSR
Registered Member

If you want to raise the level in the tank, you need to increase the water going into the tank. 1) either increase the volume of the pump into the tank or #2) slow the water going out of the overflow.

If I were to do #1) turn up the pump #2) put in some pipe into the holes in the overflow so the water is higher up in the outer box

What I did was I installed pipe into the downflow holes in the outer box. That will raise the water in the outer box. The emergency pipe is about 1 inch below the top of the outside box, the free flow pipe has an elbow raised about 2 inches and the restricted pipe has about a 1" inch of pipe above the bottom of the outer box. When I turn off the main pumps I always have 1" of water in the outer box. If I remove the 1" of pipe in the restricted section, the outerbox will drain to the bottom.

Adjust the heights to your needs. Obviously, if you raise the pipes to high you can overflow the tank, so put them at a height that works for you. Make sure the emergency overflow can handle any kind of issue.

rich

GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 04:32 PM   #88
GQsmooth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandive View Post
I’d love to know the answer to this one myself. My 20” shadow works great but I need to raise the water in the rear box to drown out the trickling of water through the bulkheads.

Thoughts....

Thanks
Sounds like you can just cut back your siphon valve.

To raise my level, I ended up just putting a strip of electrical tape across the weir so less water flows into the overflow.

GQsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beananimal, external overflow, ghost, silent, synergy reef