Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2016, 06:22 PM   #1751
Bpb
Registered Member

I'm no expert but as I understand it the thin walled tubing doesn't last quite as long, but is a little more precise as far as flow adjustments go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 12:39 PM   #1752
hkgar
Registered Member

Bubble rate conversion

It seems that the start up directions for CA reactors specify xx drops per minute. Anyone know of a conversion factor for drops per ml? It might help those switching over to Masterflex determine a starting point based on what they where dripping.

I know it probably depends on tube size -i.d. But, the same size tubing is used in either method.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 01:27 PM   #1753
dendrite
Registered Member

for a normal "dropper" it's usually 10qtts/ml

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 02:18 PM   #1754
hkgar
Registered Member

So 30 drops would be 3 ml

And 30 ml would be 300 drops per minute (qtts)?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 05/15/2016, 02:59 PM   #1755
dendrite
Registered Member

yes, for a normal dropper that most of us are used to. Some micro droppers often used in medical or laboratory scenarios are 60qtts/ml

Unread 05/15/2016, 05:22 PM   #1756
scuzy
Registered Member

Anyone ever get the intake tube before the calcium reactor clogged? Like its calcium buildup and clogging the tube.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 10:43 PM   #1757
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrite View Post
Ok, I give up. What's the difference between LS17 and Ls 24 tubing, They both have the same flow characteristics, and would fit the same fittings so why the concentration on LS 17. Heads that accept Ls 24 seem to be in much greater availability and lower price on E-Bay then the Ls 17 heads
Wall thickness. There is no difference as long as you are using the proper tube material in a head that accepts it. Not all tube is created equal, some is rated for 10,000 hours, some is rated at 40. Pharmed BPT is what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
It seems that the start up directions for CA reactors specify xx drops per minute. Anyone know of a conversion factor for drops per ml? It might help those switching over to Masterflex determine a starting point based on what they where dripping.

I know it probably depends on tube size -i.d. But, the same size tubing is used in either method.
It's mostly irrelevant. Instead of guessing measure, the reactors effluent flow before installing the pump. Set the pump to match and it will be exact. If you have to guess I would recommend started as low as you can go and work your way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Anyone ever get the intake tube before the calcium reactor clogged? Like its calcium buildup and clogging the tube.
Not that I'm aware of.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 11:25 PM   #1758
scuzy
Registered Member

I recently had my tubes checked and it was clogged solid. Use my master flex as push pump so it was sucking water in and pushing it into the reactor. The portion of the tubes clogged was where the masterflex pushed into my calcium reactor. That tube was clogged solid. i head to replace. Not sure why though.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 12:33 PM   #1759
africangrey
Registered Member

Since we are on the subject of tubing what are the differences between the platinum or peroxide cured in our application, does platinum silicon last longer thus commands a $10 more in price tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Wall thickness. There is no difference as long as you are using the proper tube material in a head that accepts it. Not all tube is created equal, some is rated for 10,000 hours, some is rated at 40. Pharmed BPT is what you want.

It's mostly irrelevant. Instead of guessing measure, the reactors effluent flow before installing the pump. Set the pump to match and it will be exact. If you have to guess I would recommend started as low as you can go and work your way up.

Not that I'm aware of.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 05:00 AM   #1760
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Not sure if this has been asked before but I could not find an answer. Last night around 1am I experienced my first power outage since installing the Masterflex pump. The outage only lasted for a second or two, I rarely check my tank after a power outage because I know everything comes back on with no issues and my skimmer has a delay. This morning I got a text message from my apex because the pH in the calcium reactor was to low and it had turned off the regulator, turns out the Masterflex came back on but the motor did not start, I had to manually start it by pressing start.

My question is, is there a way of getting the motor in the Masterflex pump to automatically run after a power outage? I have the 77301-20 bench top system.

Reefer525XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 08:54 AM   #1761
vhuang168
Registered Member

http://www.masterflex.nl/Downloads/0...0-70manual.pdf

Pg 2 of the manual.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 01:19 PM   #1762
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
http://www.masterflex.nl/Downloads/0...0-70manual.pdf

Pg 2 of the manual.

Thank you!

Unread 05/19/2016, 07:39 PM   #1763
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

I have another questions... This might be a dumb question but I don't want to risk damaging the pump.

Will turning off the pump via the apex cause any damage to the controller or pump/motor? The controller as a switch on the back to power the unit on & off. Is turning it off with the switch the same as simply unplugging the cable or just cutting the power off via the apex?

When I do water changes I drain water out of the middle section of my sump and that is where the intake for the Masterflex is. If I don't stop the pump it will eventually suck in air. I have been stopping the motor manually by pressing start/stop while I do the water change but having the apex automatically shut it off would be better. (No risk of me forgetting to turn it back on)

Unread 05/19/2016, 07:50 PM   #1764
Bpb
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Isn't it perfectly safe for these to draw in air since its peristaltic?

Edit: never mind I guess you don't want air pumping into the carx lol

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2016, 08:14 PM   #1765
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affordable_Reef View Post
I have another questions... This might be a dumb question but I don't want to risk damaging the pump.

Will turning off the pump via the apex cause any damage to the controller or pump/motor? The controller as a switch on the back to power the unit on & off. Is turning it off with the switch the same as simply unplugging the cable or just cutting the power off via the apex?

When I do water changes I drain water out of the middle section of my sump and that is where the intake for the Masterflex is. If I don't stop the pump it will eventually suck in air. I have been stopping the motor manually by pressing start/stop while I do the water change but having the apex automatically shut it off would be better. (No risk of me forgetting to turn it back on)
That shouldn't cause any issues. On the other hand, why not extend the inlet side of the line deeper into your sump so you don't need to worry about it drawing air?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2016, 08:34 PM   #1766
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
That shouldn't cause any issues. On the other hand, why not extend the inlet side of the line deeper into your sump so you don't need to worry about it drawing air?
I could do that but I wanted to keep the line far off the bottom of the sump to prevent it from sucking in any detritus. I could re-route the line to my skimmer section which stays filled during the water change.

Unread 05/20/2016, 07:09 AM   #1767
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
I could do that but I wanted to keep the line far off the bottom of the sump to prevent it from sucking in any detritus. I could re-route the line to my skimmer section which stays filled during the water change.
That would be the best idea.

Unread 05/20/2016, 11:32 AM   #1768
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:

If you can, set it up to turn off via the start/stop input on the back of the unit. A breakout box or using a relay would make this easy and is likely better for the unit. I cannot say for sure it's worse for the unit to power cycle but I have a suspicion it is.

Unread 05/20/2016, 11:39 AM   #1769
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
Since we are on the subject of tubing what are the differences between the platinum or peroxide cured in our application, does platinum silicon last longer thus commands a $10 more in price tag?
Platinum cured tubing is about 30% stronger in terms of tearing. For our applications since we are (should be) changing tubing long before the expected lifespan i'm not sure it matters so much. Though, in the hobby of excess, why not spend the extra $10?

Unread 05/20/2016, 04:08 PM   #1770
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
If you can, set it up to turn off via the start/stop input on the back of the unit. A breakout box or using a relay would make this easy and is likely better for the unit. I cannot say for sure it's worse for the unit to power cycle but I have a suspicion it is.
Have you done this before? a diagram showing how to wire it would be great. Worse case scenario I can just physically stop it by pressing stop on the unit.

Unread 05/22/2016, 08:11 AM   #1771
BillFW
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you done this before? a diagram showing how to wire it would be great. Worse case scenario I can just physically stop it by pressing stop on the unit.
Cole Parmer should have the manuals available on line.

BillFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2016, 08:22 AM   #1772
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFW View Post
Cole Parmer should have the manuals available on line.

You can find manuals for most models.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 08:00 AM   #1773
dendrite
Registered Member

Thanks TKERacer for the thread. I just set up a masterflex propelled MRC cr1 for my 180 gallon reef and 50 refugium. I purchased a used 100 RPM digital brushless pump which came with a easy load 2 head. It's quiet , effective, and I stare at it as if a work of art. I run 75cc/min at 6.4pH and it holds the dkh between 8 and 9. Your instructions and following comments on set-up and adjustments were invaluable. While at it I also for very little money purchased a fixed 6 RPM cole parmer with two heads and run an AWC for a frag tank. Thanks again

Unread 06/06/2016, 08:11 PM   #1774
gus6464
Registered Member

I have a quick question. I have a 6-600rpm console drive masterflex with a single head. If I wanted to covert it to dual head is it as simple as just adding a second head and getting longer bolts to attach them?

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 09:06 PM   #1775
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I have a quick question. I have a 6-600rpm console drive masterflex with a single head. If I wanted to covert it to dual head is it as simple as just adding a second head and getting longer bolts to attach them?
Yes it is. Just get a 2nd head and the longer screws.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote