Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2019, 06:21 AM   #1
RioReefr
Registered Member

Protein skimmer died, now what to do?

Well, my protein skimmer had died and looking for advice what else to do until my new one arrives (in 2 weeks). I live outside the USA, so it is not easy to purchase quality made products here (most are made in China and not even worth buying). I had ordered an Ice Cap protein skimmer, but what should I do until then?

So far, I have done these to control nutrients:

1.) Added Purigen, GAC and GFO
2.) Less amount of feedings
3.) Added an air-stone to oxygenenate the water. I have an ATO, so not worried too much about the additional water loss.
4.) Shortened my lighting schedule by 2 hours

I never realized the importance of a skimmer until it was gone. Its amazing how much more quickly the glass algae forms and some of my Duncan corals don't get the same polyp extension as before.

I was thinking about adding 50-micron polishing floss to try to capture more the of the crap in the water.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 08:13 AM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member

I assume tank has heavy bioload? I would feed less and frequent filter floss change. I cant believe you experienced drastic change without skimmer. I never thought 2weeks without skimmer is OK.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 11:36 AM   #3
RioReefr
Registered Member

My tank is small 40 gallons and it is overstocked and I do feed 2x/day. Its been a little over a week the skimmer died and the tank started to look noticeably less attractive in 2 days. I can hold off until the end of the month, but other than do weekly water changes I do not know what else I can try.

Maybe I should cut back on my feedings to just 1x/day, but my fish have been acclimated to 2x/day for a couple of years now.

Just really sux, because my tank was looking great and though I had everything right where it needed to be.

If anyone can think of what else to try for the next 2-3 weeks, I would appreciate it.

Unread 10/16/2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Water change?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 12:07 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You really don't need to do anything..
As stated an extra water change halfway through wouldn't hurt...

But a skimmer is basically optional and its unlikely to cause any issues running a few weeks or more without one..

Unread 10/16/2019, 01:12 PM   #6
clevername
Registered Member

buy a new skimmer

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 01:15 PM   #7
MarAquatic
Registered Member

My nano has no skimmer and its healthy has no algea and corals are happy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 03:43 PM   #8
journeyman
Registered Member

Your fish can go a few days without feeding.

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Rafty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
Your fish can go a few days without feeding.

I would say weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2019, 06:25 AM   #10
RioReefr
Registered Member

[QUOTE=journeyman;25624869]Your fish can go a few days without feeding.
]

Yeah you are right. I had traveled a few months back and was gone for 4 days. I didn't have auto-feeder and they were not fed for those days. When I came back, the fish were fine.

I think I will cut back to feeding just 1x/day and just do 20% weekly water changes for the next few weeks.

The IceCap K1 protein skimmer has already been purchased but won't arrive until beginning of November.

I would purchase a new skimmer here, but most things in Brazil are either Chinese-made (total garbage) or if something quality then it is literally 3 times more expensive than in the USA.

Unread 10/17/2019, 06:41 AM   #11
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioReefr View Post
Its been a little over a week the skimmer died and the tank started to look noticeably less attractive in 2 days.

Gas exchange. That’s why, even when they medicate, many people just remove the collection cup and let the skimmer run. Do you run a pH meter? I’d bet you would find that your pH had dropped significantly without the skimmer. And if you don’t have an overflow, there is literally nothing breaking the surface tension on your water.

Many people think of a skimmer as just for nutrient export and if you just happen to have the magic number of pounds of live rock per gallon bla bla bla you don’t need a skimmer.. which is somewhat true, you don’t NEED. A skimmer but it really helps a lot.

If you can setup a small power head top of the tank just to break the surface tension of the water, that will help a lot until your new skimmer arrives.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I agree with the surface gas exchange issue & it also seriously aerates the water too, no way id run a tank without a skimmer...........It just helps out in too many ways in the long run.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 06:48 PM   #13
Rafty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
I agree with the surface gas exchange issue & it also seriously aerates the water too, no way id run a tank without a skimmer...........It just helps out in too many ways in the long run.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 12:29 PM   #14
WVH
Registered Member

Like folks have said , cut back feeding amounts, they will not starve. Also more partials and you should be find. My old set up for 10 years always had a big skimmer 50 gallon basement sump and refugium. After a crash 5 years ago I took on a simpler approach. Today the same 72 bow with mixed and growing healthy corals after two years up and running again. Here is a shot looking down into tank this week . Five fish incling a healthy and happy fat Scooter. NO sump, No refugium and No skimmer is just fine. Zero fish or invert lose in two years since restart!!!. No overfeeding or overcrowding is my key this time around . Good luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Reef 8-15-19 008.jpg (104.5 KB, 8 views)