Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2019, 09:50 AM   #1
gluca88
Registered Member

Coral detaching from skeleton

Hi all,
I received this coral 4 months ago as a present. My friend couldnt remember the name but i think is some kind of Pocillopora. It always looked fine and growing until some weeks ago i noticed some bare skeleton tips. Initially i thought it was because my hermits like to climb on this coral to mold, but today i was blasting away some detritus in a rock nearby and i noticed small pieces of coral floating around, then i blasted it directly to see how it would react. Apparently the polyps are responding to the blows and retiring but by the tips they were just coming off. The coral is not bleached and it looks fine. What could it be? Any one experienced something similar?

Couple of water changes ago (i do it every 2 weeks, about 15%) i made the mistake to forget the auto top off on, and for about 1h i guess they were shocked with low salinity. Can it be that? Other corals look ok to me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

gluca88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2019, 03:38 AM   #2
gluca88
Registered Member

2 weeks later

Unread 06/01/2019, 05:32 AM   #3
reefmutt
Registered Member

Most definitely could be shock from low salinity.
Do you have other hard corals?
Was anything else affected?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2019, 03:22 AM   #4
gluca88
Registered Member

I do have other sps. I can see somehow they are not doing great for some reason but they are not dying out like that. One of my montiporas had couple of spots of what i think was tissue necrosis, which happened basically over night but then stopped, but i think that is something unrealted because it happened only to one of the frags, while for the pocillopora it affects all the frags. I check the water parameters every week, nothing seemed off. I even went to the LFS to measure PO4 and NO3 which are in the good range (0.03 and 5). I was thinking to remove alll the affected tips but im afraid to speed up the process.