Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2012, 07:46 PM   #351
SPotter
Registered Member

Nitrates nitrates nitrates

So my nitrates are not budging from 100ppm so its time for monster water changes. By tomorrow I will have completed my water change for a total of 250 gallons. I turned off the main pump and have changed the water in the 50g water change tank and about 50g's in the sump. I will have another 150g's of water ready to go by tomorrow tomorrow morning. Thats when I will drain the dt about 50% and fill it back up with new water. Once that is done the pump will be turned back on and the system will be running again. The power heads in the dt will remain running and I have turned up the intensity on them so their is continuous flow in the dt. Finally, I tested the newly made up saltwater for nitrates and the test shows 0 ppm. My hopes are that after doing a 60% water change that my no3 level will fall significantly. If this works, I will do another large change in a few days.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 10:19 AM   #352
geaux xman
Registered Member

Steve,

I was looking at your storage water tank in post #292.

Can you go into how you make your SW(in another container then transfer it into the storage tank?) and how you get it out of there to transfer it into your DT?

I was thinking about a 75g water storage tank like that, but to put a pump that deep to get water out via a hose might be difficult.

thanks.

Unread 04/22/2012, 12:23 PM   #353
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux xman View Post
Steve,

I was looking at your storage water tank in post #292.

Can you go into how you make your SW(in another container then transfer it into the storage tank?) and how you get it out of there to transfer it into your DT?

I was thinking about a 75g water storage tank like that, but to put a pump that deep to get water out via a hose might be difficult.

thanks.
Here's a picture of the set up. I have both tanks plumbed so I can mix a total of 150g for salt water at one time if I need to....and I did this weekend. The tank on the right is where I have my float valve for the ro, heater and thermometer. Right now in the picture both bottom tank ball valves are shut off isolating the tanks from each other and the pump. Now, I could leave them both open and allow both tanks to fill up at the same time if I wanted to. Once that right side is full I will open the bottom right and upper left ball valve and turn the pump on. This will transfer all of the water from the right tank to the left. Once the water is moved over I close the lower right bv and open the bottom left bv to allow the water to circulate. Now I add salt and let it mix. While I am doing this, the right side tank is filling up with new rodi.

Finally, when I am ready to refill the dt with new water I close the top bv and then open the bv on the return line that has the barb fitting. Once the tanks are moved into their permanent home, I plan on hard plumbing a line to the tank.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux

Last edited by SPotter; 04/22/2012 at 12:57 PM.
Unread 04/22/2012, 01:02 PM   #354
SPotter
Registered Member

Update on the nitrates

Ok, so I changed about 230 gallons between yesterday and early this morning. I took an no3 test before the change and it was darker than the 160ppm color sample on the API test kit. I waited a couple of hours before testing the DT and when I did I got a pretty solid reading of 80ppm. Now while thats still not good, I am pretty happy with that reduction. I will do another 150g wc on tues or wed with the hopes that will get me down around 40-50ppm. My ATS is starting to show signs of growth on the screen and hopefully that will contribute to some no3 export and reduction. So its back to the lfs for another box of IO...not using the TM pro reef for large wc's like this...too expensive.

Unread 04/22/2012, 02:07 PM   #355
geaux xman
Registered Member

thanks for the reply. thats a very clever water changing setup.. unfortunately i dont have the room for a system like that.

how much total net volume do you have? your sump dont look too big? i would've thought all the WC, your nitrate reduction should be much more than that..

Unread 04/22/2012, 02:12 PM   #356
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux xman View Post
thanks for the reply. thats a very clever water changing setup.. unfortunately i dont have the room for a system like that.

how much total net volume do you have? your sump dont look too big? i would've thought all the WC, your nitrate reduction should be much more than that..
TWV is around 400g right now. I am guessing my no3 was higher than 160 so given that I did about a 60% wc and I got a 50% reduction in no3 I am pretty happy with the results. My sump has about 50 gallons of water running thru it right now.

Unread 04/22/2012, 03:30 PM   #357
syedjilani
Registered Member

Smile

Love the cabinets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
I wish I could take credit for these but I just can't do it. The pictures really don't do them justice.....

Old 300G tank thread " My 300 Gallon Reef in Saudi Ar

Current Tank Info: shttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2150301
syedjilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:07 PM   #358
SPotter
Registered Member

Thank you SJ.

Unread 04/23/2012, 12:14 AM   #359
troyholl
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's a picture of the set up. I have both tanks plumbed so I can mix a total of 150g for salt water at one time if I need to....and I did this weekend. The tank on the right is where I have my float valve for the ro, heater and thermometer. Right now in the picture both bottom tank ball valves are shut off isolating the tanks from each other and the pump. Now, I could leave them both open and allow both tanks to fill up at the same time if I wanted to. Once that right side is full I will open the bottom right and upper left ball valve and turn the pump on. This will transfer all of the water from the right tank to the left. Once the water is moved over I close the lower right bv and open the bottom left bv to allow the water to circulate. Now I add salt and let it mix. While I am doing this, the right side tank is filling up with new rodi.

Finally, when I am ready to refill the dt with new water I close the top bv and then open the bv on the return line that has the barb fitting. Once the tanks are moved into their permanent home, I plan on hard plumbing a line to the tank.
Love the design! I'll be doing something very similar!!

troyholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 08:26 AM   #360
SPotter
Registered Member

Thanks Troy. It works great. the pump is a little big for the purpose but I got it as a back up to my main pump and decided to use it on this. the plumbing could be a lot cleaner and I will have to make some changes because I am getting some slow drips on both of the fittings for the bulkheads. I really messed up by not putting unions on after the fitting...oh well. I will make it work.

I tested my nitrates this morning and still holding at a solid 80 ppm so I am gearing up for another 150g change this time.

Unread 04/23/2012, 12:32 PM   #361
dave.m
Registered Member

I just got my reservoir tanks. They look to be the same kind as yours, only smaller. The sticker at the bottom warns against hard-plumbing the bottom bulk heads, but to use flex hose instead. Is that not a concern for you, and if not why not?

Thx,

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 12:43 PM   #362
SPotter
Registered Member

there's nothing on my tanks that says that. my tanks were made by norwesco. I've seen people use both hard and flex.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Unread 04/23/2012, 12:50 PM   #363
dave.m
Registered Member

Mine are by Norwesco, too. The WARNING label at the bottom warns against attaching rigid piping to the bottom outlet. I was just wondering if you were having any issues by having done so.

Thx,

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 01:34 PM   #364
SPotter
Registered Member

interesting. I will read the label again when I get home. I wonder if the weight of the hard pvc is an issue. my tips are coming from the threads of where the pvc fitting screws in.

Unread 04/23/2012, 04:08 PM   #365
Rotknee
Registered Member

Steve...all I can say is D-A-A-A-Y-U-U-U-M...you got skills bro. Love the build!

Here is the funny thing. I remember reading your first post a while ago thinking, hmmm, what can I do to create a similar situation and get my wife to agree to a new protein skimmer? Then I thought, it's my money anyway so I'll just buy it. Then common sense kicked in, happy wife, happy life and you know the rest of the story LOL.

I'll be following more closely going forward as I am also interested in your ATS setup. I'm using biopellets now and have been fighting cyano ever since. Should your system work well I might give it a shot.

That light is kinda cool too!

Unread 04/23/2012, 05:30 PM   #366
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Steve...all I can say is D-A-A-A-Y-U-U-U-M...you got skills bro. Love the build! Here is the funny thing. I remember reading your first post a while ago thinking, hmmm, what can I do to create a similar situation and get my wife to agree to a new protein skimmer? Then I thought, it's my money anyway so I'll just buy it. Then common sense kicked in, happy wife, happy life and you know the rest of the story LOL. I'll be following more closely going forward as I am also interested in your ATS setup. I'm using biopellets now and have been fighting cyano ever since. Should your system work well I might give it a shot. That light is kinda cool too!
Hey I know you!!! you should get one of those lights for your tank too

Its been a long road and hopefully headed in the right direction.

Unread 04/23/2012, 06:28 PM   #367
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Steve, looking good and keep your head up with those trates. They are going and south and will be down in no time with big changes like that. I'm not sure why the tanks would matter with hard plumbing as long as the bulkheads are not being stressed in any way. I've seen tons of tanks similar to this with hard plumbing and is likely the route I'll go when I get two 165 gallon ones. (That pump looks really similar? Had a few miles on it back and forth from our houses)

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 06:51 PM   #368
troyholl
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Troy. It works great. the pump is a little big for the purpose but I got it as a back up to my main pump and decided to use it on this. the plumbing could be a lot cleaner and I will have to make some changes because I am getting some slow drips on both of the fittings for the bulkheads. I really messed up by not putting unions on after the fitting...oh well. I will make it work.

I tested my nitrates this morning and still holding at a solid 80 ppm so I am gearing up for another 150g change this time.
I'm hoping to incorporate an automatic water change setup to mine as well using my Apex controller.

troyholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 07:45 PM   #369
SPotter
Registered Member

I think these tanks are a must for large systems. Makes life so much easier. I love my apex but will never trust with those three words....Automatic Water Change

Unread 04/23/2012, 08:59 PM   #370
ricwilli
Registered Member

Hey Steve
I started cycling my rocks. When did you start testing for nitrites?

By the way, everything looks good.

Unread 04/24/2012, 06:53 AM   #371
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
I think these tanks are a must for large systems. Makes life so much easier. I love my apex but will never trust with those three words....Automatic Water Change
I'd have to agree with that as float switches/solenoids/pumps are all unreliable. Because I did not trust this method I ended up going with a LiterMeter III setup. I use LiterMeter base module w/ pump attached, remote pump, and water exchange module.
- Base pump used for top off (1 week of dialing in evaporation rate and you don't have to worry about this anymore)
- Remote Pump used for drain to house drain.
- Water exchange module is used for new saltwater and water exchange module will kick it off if it goes above a certain level in sump.

As an additional safe measure my float switches are just a failover and not really used for top off but rather a second preventative measure. Low water alarm will actually kick off return pump and outlet to LiterMeter III and e-mails me so I can access the situation. High water alarm will kick off LiterMeter III outlet and I have a bulkhead installed at top of sump should both of the above failsafes fail which drains to house.

The LiterMeter III pumps have amazing delivery/draw heights so that is not of concern. Each pump can do a total of 99 liters (26) gallons/day so in Steve's 400 gallon system you could do up to 45% water changes in a week (With my 1000 gallon system it will meet the needs too and is still able to do 18% water changes a week which I doubt will ever be that high) The pumps also take this set amount you want to change water and divides it over 150 times a day so when you talk about stability, this is one of the best things you can do to a system IMO to stabalize parameters. (Ask yourself if doing a 15-25% water change does not change water chemistry outside of the measurable tests we perform?)

That being said, this is just my opinion but at retail price of $683 for all three pumps and main module, 5 year warranty, they are the best upgrade I've ever made to my system. I recently rebuilt the pumps with new tubing before putting them back to work but this was just proactive maintenance and I was not having any issues with the pumps. Randy Holmes Farley also does a similar method and recommends this 'continuous water change' method over anything in our reefs.

LM III Manual

***Sorry for any derailment or rant Steve

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 04/24/2012, 07:17 AM   #372
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwilli View Post
Hey Steve
I started cycling my rocks. When did you start testing for nitrites?

By the way, everything looks good.
Hey Rich,
I started testing a few days after I began the cycle. They showed up pretty quickly. What are you using to start the cycle?

Unread 04/24/2012, 07:19 AM   #373
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
I'd have to agree with that as float switches/solenoids/pumps are all unreliable. Because I did not trust this method I ended up going with a LiterMeter III setup. I use LiterMeter base module w/ pump attached, remote pump, and water exchange module.
- Base pump used for top off (1 week of dialing in evaporation rate and you don't have to worry about this anymore)
- Remote Pump used for drain to house drain.
- Water exchange module is used for new saltwater and water exchange module will kick it off if it goes above a certain level in sump.

As an additional safe measure my float switches are just a failover and not really used for top off but rather a second preventative measure. Low water alarm will actually kick off return pump and outlet to LiterMeter III and e-mails me so I can access the situation. High water alarm will kick off LiterMeter III outlet and I have a bulkhead installed at top of sump should both of the above failsafes fail which drains to house.

The LiterMeter III pumps have amazing delivery/draw heights so that is not of concern. Each pump can do a total of 99 liters (26) gallons/day so in Steve's 400 gallon system you could do up to 45% water changes in a week (With my 1000 gallon system it will meet the needs too and is still able to do 18% water changes a week which I doubt will ever be that high) The pumps also take this set amount you want to change water and divides it over 150 times a day so when you talk about stability, this is one of the best things you can do to a system IMO to stabalize parameters. (Ask yourself if doing a 15-25% water change does not change water chemistry outside of the measurable tests we perform?)

That being said, this is just my opinion but at retail price of $683 for all three pumps and main module, 5 year warranty, they are the best upgrade I've ever made to my system. I recently rebuilt the pumps with new tubing before putting them back to work but this was just proactive maintenance and I was not having any issues with the pumps. Randy Holmes Farley also does a similar method and recommends this 'continuous water change' method over anything in our reefs.

LM III Manual

***Sorry for any derailment or rant Steve
Are you an undercover LiterMiter sales rep?????? Thank you for that information. I had thought about going that route but just didn't want to invest the money.

Unread 04/24/2012, 07:33 AM   #374
ricwilli
Registered Member

Ammonia just like you have. This is my second day. The first day it dropped to .50 so now I'm trying to maintain it at 3.0, so that if it drops within 24 hours, it won't go below 1.0.

Unread 04/24/2012, 07:34 AM   #375
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Are you an undercover LiterMiter sales rep?????? Thank you for that information. I had thought about going that route but just didn't want to invest the money.
No! But if someone has a great product and I can back it I will.