Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2013, 07:07 PM   #1376
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Looks like the house is moving along nicely. You'll be moving in before you know it.
Thanks Mike! Sure would love to see more pictures of my old tank

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2013, 07:47 PM   #1377
Mike S
Registered Member

Ya I'm overdo for an update lol. Not a lot of activity over the past few weeks. Just doing some little tweaks and researching skimmers. The tank went through the normal early diatoms bloom and I'm getting a little cyano but overall it is coming along nicely. I mentioned to my wife that it doesn't look that big anymore and boy did I get a look.

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2013, 08:25 PM   #1378
nightOwl
Premium Member

Thanks for the picture update Steve. Things are coming along nicely. Save the picture of the water on the floor for your wife and refer to it if any spills happen..lol. Let her know your floors have already been conditioned...lol.

Unread 09/05/2013, 07:14 AM   #1379
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I mentioned to my wife that it doesn't look that big anymore and boy did I get a look.
Be happy that she didnt turn that one around and say it about you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Thanks for the picture update Steve. Things are coming along nicely. Save the picture of the water on the floor for your wife and refer to it if any spills happen..lol. Let her know your floors have already been conditioned...lol.
LOL....I tried that with her already and her response was "there will be no floods with this tank right???" Hopefully that will be partly correct. I have narrowed the tank builder search down a little and I am waiting on one more quote before making the final decision. If I go with the builder I am leaning towards they make a waterproof drip pan that is molded to fit in the stand. Since I wasnt able to put a drain line in the floor, I have two ideas that I am working on since I will be running a couple of conduits and pex lines from the garage to the tank.

1.) see if I can put a bulkhead in one of the side walls and plumb that to the pex line that would drain into a brute can in the garage.

2.) if I cant do the bulkhead then use a water sensor program with the apex to turn on a pump that is sitting in the pan that will pump the water down the pex line and into the brute can in the garage.

My concern with both of these is running an external pump for the tank and what will happen to it if either of these options end up not doing what I want them to do and the pump sits in water. I am considering using internal DC pumps for my returns because of their energy effeciency and reduced noise. I have been checking threads nightly for feed back on these pumps since they are new. I am seeing mixed reviews based on performance and reliability.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 09/06/2013, 11:43 PM   #1380
Rotknee
Registered Member

Just thinking outloud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
My front door is only 36" wide. I've asked to make it bigger but that's not happening. If the tank is 30" wide the stand can be as high as I want it and I can walk the stand thru the door without flipping the stand.
What about having the tank built on site? Taking the cost of movers into consideration, potential damage to the property, the frustration of any unforeseen mishaps, it may be worth your while to invest in an onsite build. Either way, I am looking forward to the project.

I am sure we will get a chance to talk "lighting options" at a later time.

Congrats on the new property.

Unread 09/07/2013, 06:31 AM   #1381
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotknee View Post
What about having the tank built on site? Taking the cost of movers into consideration, potential damage to the property, the frustration of any unforeseen mishaps, it may be worth your while to invest in an onsite build. Either way, I am looking forward to the project.

I am sure we will get a chance to talk "lighting options" at a later time.

Congrats on the new property.
Thanks Rodney. The hobby isnt that popular in my area and have been trying to find someone local to do that but not having much luck. Maybe its time I try my hand at a DIY tank build?????

How are you liking the Mitras? lets see some pictures!!!!

Unread 09/07/2013, 07:32 AM   #1382
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Be happy that she didnt turn that one around and say it about you...

LOL....I tried that with her already and her response was "there will be no floods with this tank right???" Hopefully that will be partly correct. I have narrowed the tank builder search down a little and I am waiting on one more quote before making the final decision. If I go with the builder I am leaning towards they make a waterproof drip pan that is molded to fit in the stand. Since I wasnt able to put a drain line in the floor, I have two ideas that I am working on since I will be running a couple of conduits and pex lines from the garage to the tank.

1.) see if I can put a bulkhead in one of the side walls and plumb that to the pex line that would drain into a brute can in the garage.

2.) if I cant do the bulkhead then use a water sensor program with the apex to turn on a pump that is sitting in the pan that will pump the water down the pex line and into the brute can in the garage.

My concern with both of these is running an external pump for the tank and what will happen to it if either of these options end up not doing what I want them to do and the pump sits in water. I am considering using internal DC pumps for my returns because of their energy effeciency and reduced noise. I have been checking threads nightly for feed back on these pumps since they are new. I am seeing mixed reviews based on performance and reliability.
I got a good chuckle form the "no floods comment" how does this drip pan thing work and how big is it?

Unread 11/07/2013, 08:56 PM   #1383
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Steve, where's your new tank build?

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2013, 08:58 PM   #1384
SPotter
Registered Member

its over here now

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2342997

Unread 11/08/2013, 09:07 AM   #1385
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Now following...

Perfect timing!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote